Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BennyPickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

If he had an engine shutting down due to lack of oil and seizing, trying to add oil and run it may very well lead to it blowing up.[/quote]

Is this true??? Last thing I would want to have happen. If it is seized that means my mechanic could get it going without extensive motor work? If it comes down to it I feel as though a new motor may be the way to go, rather than have it fixed now for several thousand (I don’t trust that I can do a job like this)
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

When an engine seizes due to lack of oil, major engine surgery is always needed, but how expensive or extensive that surgery needs to be depends on some factors. The lack of oil will cause metal on metal contact, extreme heat and parts that should not ever actually touch get welded together. Trying to start/run it afterwards can cause what is termed a 'tossed rod'. That condition is were a rod seizes to the crankshaft and then when the crankshaft is forced to spin the small end of the rod breaks free of the piston and the rod smashes through the side of the engine case. Prior to a tossed rod, the engine is often rebuildable. After a tossed rod, there is no core value and it is scrap.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The lack of oil will cause metal on metal contact, extreme heat and parts that should not ever actually touch get welded together.

OP, this is why turning the crank pulley was recommended. If it turns by hand, that's a good sign. If not, maybe not so good.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

Try just grabbing the alternator belt and turning the crank pulley with it. Your compression is probably not great and it should be possible, albeit difficult. You can pull up on the belt to increase it's tension to get more grip, or twisting the alternator pullet itself by hand using the belt as gripping point- don't pry on those fan blades, you'll break one. Even a little bit of movement is better than none.

Don't go doomsday yet. Hopefully it's something simple, but might as well rule motor seizure first.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

Mike above is right, on my 2.1 I'm able to turn the pulley slowly by hand.
If you can't do it by hand, then try with a wrench on the main pulley's axle.
BennyPickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

I could spin the belt at the alternator, but the main middle pulley I could not get by hand and unfortunately my wrench set does go large enough..

Going to have it towed tomorrow when my membership kicks in.
Appreciate all the help, I’ll update what it was.
BennyPickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

Oh, and headlights did turn on to (I think) normal brightness. So I don’t think it’s that
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

BennyPickup wrote:
VicVan wrote:

I could spin the belt at the alternator, but the main middle pulley I could not get by hand and unfortunately my wrench set does go large enough..

Going to have it towed tomorrow when my membership kicks in.
Appreciate all the help, I’ll update what it was.

You can put it in fourth gear and try to roll it in gear. It should creep forward on even a fairly minor slope
BennyPickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

Yup, she’s seized. Luckily my mechanic has a decent one to instal for an okay price. Can’t imagine anyone would be interested in a broken down truck so I’m going to do it.
Thanks again for the help.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

Dang, was hoping it hadn't.

Glad it'll be reasonably "easy" to get a new one in. Think you made the right call in keeping it on the road -- for your use. Now is the downside, later the up.

Best of Luck. 👍🏼

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with the new engine!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

I was hoping for an update but this wasn't the one I wanted. Glad you found a fix quickly.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lkreegz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

So my 91 vanagon carat just did the same thing. I was driving it everything was fine. I checked the oil while filling up and it was really low. I put 3/4 a quart in and drove 2 more hours. Checked the oil again and it was still a little low so put the last 1/4 of the quart in. Drove it 10 minutes and then it stalled and lost power. It won’t turn over or crank. Battery seems fine electronics still turn on. When I turn the key over a bit the battery and oil light comes on. One of the belts in my engine was off but I put it back on, no damage to it. The crankshaft moves with some resistance sometimes. I’m having it towed but jot sure anyone in this town works on VW’s.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

That belt that came off... was it the water pump belt? Because if so, your motor is certainly toast.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

If you can turn your crankshaft by hand then its unlikely the engine overheated and froze up. Was engine engine covered in coolant though? Did you have steam everywhere when the engine quit? If you drove it for ten miles with no water pump then yes you may have damaged the engine, the engine would have been hotter than blazes if this happened. Note that antifreeze spraying out of an over heating engine may well kill the ignition.

You should probably start by making sure the FI relay has power and is closing when the key is turned on. You should be able to hear the fuel pump come on momentarily with the key is turned to the "ON" position, followed by making sure the coil has power and going through the troubleshooting procedure for the Hall sender.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Engine quit while driving .. 85 Transporter Reply with quote

If it was the alternator/power steering belt that came off, a dash warning light would have illuminated.

It absolutely fascinates me how people today just seem to motor on with illuminated dash warning lights!

Back in the 1970’s My stereotypical blonde cousin continued on when her oil light came on in her Beetle.
After a few engine rebuilds/replacements my Uncle wired a kill relay for the ignition.
Oil light on?
Engine off.

That was the last engine rebuild.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: