Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snake Oil or New Tech Advantage? Pulstar Plugs
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatfishCalhoun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Snake Oil or New Tech Advantage? Pulstar Plugs Reply with quote

Saw an ad in Scientific American for these new Capacitor Plugs by Pulstar.

http://tinyurl.com/54l3bk

Would these be of any benefit in a 2.0l FI GD engine? They're only $25 each. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$100 for a set of plugs! Damn Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total BS. The last thing you want to do is run resister plugs on a stock VW ignition system. All the resistance the system can handle is built into the spark plug ends.

They are comparing these 'things' to resister plugs: http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtheywork.html
wheelhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird...kinda creepy. The site guessed my car before I even entered it in.
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would'nt the engine run hotter? if so not the best for an air cooled. besides way too much cash.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheelhorse wrote:
Weird...kinda creepy. The site guessed my car before I even entered it in.

Uh, the orginal poster has a 78 bay as well, he entered his vehicle info and then linked to it. It just happens you have the same year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheelhorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well damn, I am batting 0 for tech savvyness.
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to look and see if anyone at the race track is using something that would help produce so much spark. Not. Sounds like the 100 mpg carb of the 1960's only with a better ad.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
$100 for a set of plugs! Damn Shocked

Shocked Shocked

does one even go through $100 worth of regular bosch plugs durring the life of an average engine?!
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why it it that these great breakthroughs never come from anyone we have heard of? I can't beleive that Bosch or Champion or NGK isn't trying new stuff all the time, especially if they could get that $$$ for it.
61Ragster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scientific American? Reputable, I thought. Pulstar? Reputable, I think not.
My vote: Snake oil!
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PURE SNAKE OIL
..and not new either. back in the 50s, JC Whitney sold plug gizmos that went between the wire AND THE PLUG....I bought some, because I understood the principal.
What they did is push the coil to the maximum limit of total saturation time before they fired. they did this by putting a gap slightly larger then the plug gap into the circuit. This forced the coil to build up enought voltage to jump the larger gap, therefore the higher voltage would more easily jump the plug gap. This was a trick that old machanics would use to get a reluctant engine started with a fouled plug. They would just hold the plug wire a 1/4" from the plug end. It works! The downside is the built in gap will burn up your points quicker. With electronic ign. there is no benifit at all......Save your money!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mywifesghia wrote:
And why it it that these great breakthroughs never come from anyone we have heard of? I can't beleive that Bosch or Champion or NGK isn't trying new stuff all the time, especially if they could get that $$$ for it.

Bingo!
The First Invasion
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Snake Oil or New Tech Advantage? Pulstar Plugs Reply with quote

Fitted pulstar plugs on my 2.0 l cu engine. Running full E85 in the french moutains.. And its removed the low down flame out dead spot
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Snake Oil or New Tech Advantage? Pulstar Plugs Reply with quote

Snake oil is a bit extreme.

Lets call it a working "gimmick"....just like Splitfire plugs. And correct....its nowhere near new.

The Pulstars use a capacitor in the middle section where there is usually in secondary air gap in "X" style plugs like NGK uses.

The air gap technology was in so many plugs that most people whose engine spec'd them did not even know its there. Back in the 70's, 80's early 90's. Its purpose....was for when a plug gap was fouled....the internal air gap becomes the gap or point of ionization and changed how the plug heated and sparked for a short period (i'm being really crude here to not get into it too deep)...which helped to clear the main gap.

So....in that junction.....between the copper main rod (which ALL spark plugs use) and whatever exotic metal is being used at the electrode....the Pulstar has a capacitor which stores voltage being fed to it until it releases it with a more violent arc....again over simplifying it for brevity.

However....because of that action the spark will be shorter in duration and delayed by maybe a millisecond or so. That may have issues with some engines that require long spark duration.

This hotter higher intensity spark can also help coo;er fuel charge engines like alcohol and to a small extent....high compression engines that literally blow out the spark.

The downside...is that organic capacitors inside of something like a spark plug can have a short life. Capacitors die from use and heat in almost all high voltage, high cycle applications.

If you have a high compression engines and this plug helps you....you could have easily done largely the same thing with a higher voltage coil and better gap. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Snake Oil or New Tech Advantage? Pulstar Plugs Reply with quote

There's some good reads in the performance forum about this, that if anyone is interested in: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705298

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Snake Oil or New Tech Advantage? Pulstar Plugs Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
There's some good reads in the performance forum about this, that if anyone is interested in: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705298

I had forgotten all about that thread...even though its on my list of faves.

The PCD system that Alstrup is speaking of is technically what these plugs mimic.

As I noted....it gets a very violent spark....but shorter in duration. Yes...it works. No problem with that. I don't know if the lifespan per plug will be worth it.

As Alstrup noted....the effect of this type of capacitor enhanced ignition or plug....is very similar to the Nology wires from 20 years ago...which worked fantastically if you were set up to use what they offered...and could swallow the short lifespan the capacitors could have.

Here is a reminder of what that system is.

https://www.nology.com/hot.html

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: