Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

zero lift springs for tintop issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daxsarmiento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: zero lift springs for tintop issues Reply with quote

recently had the gowesty zero spring kit put on my tintop and added the 16 in alloy set. its crazy how much the front end is higher than the back. front ps tire is pinching in at about 87degrees. the alignment guy said he could do zero because of how high it is. its pushing a tad over 18 and a quarter from center to fender. all they tell me at go westy is that i need it aligned. my mechanic is also baffled because he had just done the same conversion the day before(i saw it, looked great) now i am super concerned this is going to lead to ball joint and cv issue FAST. the back springs are sitting at a healthy 17and a quarter.
do injuat replace the front srprings with moogs? im stuck. thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: zero lift springs for tintop issues Reply with quote

Have you driven it at all over some speed bumps to settle them in? You want to wait to align it if they have not settle a bit. But an inch higher sounds like maybe the springs are the wrong height. Could they have sent you the lift springs?

With all the trouble people have with GoWesty springs I am surprised anyone is still buying them.

You can get the Moog 5658 front springs for around $60 shipped on Amazon and that will put the front right around 17 1/4. And they are probably a higher quality spring and cheaper because they are mass marketed. If GoWesty can help you out, I would work with them, otherwise the Moogs are awesome. I used Moogs up front and GW zero lift in the back on this van and it was level.

drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: zero lift springs for tintop issues Reply with quote

I put GW zero lift springs on my 90' tintop along with 16" steelies and 215-70R16 tires. I also installed the GW upper ball joint spacers at the same time.
I've been running this setup for about 15K miles.

My ride height in front is 18" and rear is 17.75". It has been this way since install without any noticeable sag over that time. I have about 50lbs of supplies under the rear seat and am running an EJ22 conversion, but everything else is in stock locations weight wise (spare tire).

I kicked around adding spacers in the rear to get it even, but 0.25" is barely noticeable so I ran with it as-is.

My local alignment shop had no issues aligning it on the first try. Got the printout with the set points at the time, and 15K of tire wear now seems to agree that nothing crazy is going on with toe or camber in the front. I haven't noticed any abnormal ball joint wear yet.
bluntlunchbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: zero lift springs for tintop issues Reply with quote

I have Moog 5658 springs in front and gowesty zero lift springs in the rear. They are still pretty good.

dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: zero lift springs for tintop issues Reply with quote

I had the same experience with the GW Zero lift springs in my westy... pretty much the same ride height. I ended up shimming the rear to even it out.

Eventually I'll swap them out for something better.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: zero lift springs for tintop issues Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

With all the trouble people have with GoWesty springs I am surprised anyone is still buying them.

Seriously, no kidding.

Too bad that the o.p. isn't close by.
I would absolutely like to swap my gowesty rear springs, which have been sitting at fully 18" for the last several years.

It's pretty ridiculous how I'm at 18 in the back and 16 at the front.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: