Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many pumps? brakes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

65 bus. New AC front disc kit. Stock rear brakes.

How many pumps of the peddle should it take to bleed the rear cylinders???

Background. Bus has sat for 3 years. Replaced MC back then with a 67 only unit but never finished. Now installed the MC with the disc kit. Have tried to bleed both rears now with well ever 100 pumps each and nothing. Not even a drop.

Both fronts bleed in about 10 pumps.

Whats wrong here as it seems the rear is not getting any pressure.

peddle has about 1mm clearance at full retract.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

How old are your rubber lines?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

Single circuit master cylinder?, or double?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

The residual check valve is probably stuck at the MC. Remove the rear line at the MC, remove the check valve, finger bleed it at the MC, reinstall the check valve, finger bleed it at the check valve, reinstall the line, bleed it at the WC. 3 minutes tops.

Scroll to the bottom, I already posted this here. I've put 2 AC kits on lately.

BTDTGTTS.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=720
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

?? Check valve?? Where is the check valve?
Finger bleed? Explain finger bleed..
These are all terms im not familiar with.
Thank

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

- New SS lines up front.
- Rubber lines in rear are old. Probably 5 years plus.
- Dual Circuit MC. Front brakes connected at end. Rear on side opposite the brake switch.

Will check the Check valve. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dms
Fred G. Sanford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

If the master cylinder has air lock and has not been bench bled and was empty new or has sat empty you could be pumping the air lock back and forth for a long time. If you have a short section of brake line, feed it around so that free end will be submerged in the fluid in the resevoir and pump it till it flows free without any air bubbles then unscrew it and screw the actual lines on.
Sometimes you can pump the pedel really fast and the airlock will backup through the resevoir.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

The rear hoses could have swelled up so you may be getting little to no flow
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

If it has been sitting for 5 years with no fluid in it the master may be toast, the rubber will dry rot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
If it has been sitting for 5 years with no fluid in it the master may be toast, the rubber will dry rot.

Regarding the MC i replaced the one that had been sitting.

sub-hatchtim wrote:
The rear hoses could have swelled up so you may be getting little to no flow.

Quite possible. I will likely replace them while i am at it.

First i am going to check the new MC valve and get fluid through that area.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Single circuit master cylinder?, or double?

Guessing dual circuit, but would be good to know for sure.

If dual, has the OP bled the front first, before the rears???
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

Dual.

I did bleed both fronts after the rears initially did nothing and was able to get fluid in about 5 pumps. I then went back to the rears and still nothing.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

AC kits come with a new dual MC, you did put it on, right? That's why I said go there. Do what I said, I bet that fixes your problem.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

yes. I did install the AC MC. dual circuit. I will test your solution. May find time tomorrow night to try it out.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

You have to get the fronts bled first.

Have you fully locked up the rear shoes with the brake adjusting stars??
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance. Why the fronts first? Everything i have every heard including the AC directions say farthest from the MC to closest. What is different about this set up that you do the front first?

Thank you.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Forgive my ignorance. Why the fronts first? Everything i have every heard including the AC directions say farthest from the MC to closest. What is different about this set up that you do the front first?

Thank you.

Which AC manuals that are dual MC specific are you seeing that in, please??

A dual MC is split up into two MCs in one. The circuit closest to the brake pedal rod is for the front brakes. So when you push down on the pedal the fronts are worked first. So if you try to pump up the rears first you are doing so thru the front circuit that is full of air. This is kind of like putting a very fluffy pillow over the brake pedal in a beetle that takes up the entire front seat area and you have to sit back in the rear seat to bleed the system. So you waste much of each stroke pressing the pedal squeezing pillow instead. Also of the two circuits in the dual MC the front circuit has less volume in the brake lines, so less air to bleed out from it.

From the hard to find Volkswagen Service Manual VW 1300 1500.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Bentley 1966-69 type 1 "Volkswagen Official Service Manual".
Page 32, section 11.8

"Bentley 1970-79 type 1 "Volkswagen Official Service Manual"
Page 27, section 8.3

"Bentley 1970-79 type 1 "Volkswagen Official Service Manual"
Page 26, section 8.3

Same info in the original VW dealer workshop manuals:

1. Type 3 printed in 1961. Guess which model of VW got dual MC first...

2. Type 2 1963-67, in the dual MC 1967 section.

Another thread that is a must read on this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242594&highlight=type
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

If it was a singe circuit MC than you would bleed them furthest first...
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

Thank you. I learned something today.

I will re-check my instructions tonight. Maybe i misunderstood and maybe I was too quick to read but it what you posted sure makes sense.

Thanks.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: How many pumps? brakes Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Thank you. I learned something today.

I will re-check my instructions tonight. Maybe i misunderstood and maybe I was too quick to read but it what you posted sure makes sense.

Thanks.

No problem! Personally still learning and sorting out info about these olde ACVWs.

Was not that long ago that we went from only using feeler gauge to set points. To now also using a dwell meter to set them much more accurately/correctly and there on at each tune up rechecking the points by the dwell meter only. Has made for a lot less physically fiddling with the points over many tune ups.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: