Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600 DP Tight getting out of my 65
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: 1600 DP Tight getting out of my 65 Reply with quote

When I pulled the 1600 DP out of my 65, it was pretty tight getting it out. The valve covers contacted the side sheet metal about the time that the engine was coming off the input shaft. I was wondering if leaving the valve covers off while removing or installing would help. I was thinking about going with a larger motor and the extra stroke I guess will make the engine wider, and make it even a tighter fit. 1. Is it a good practice to leave the valve covers off during removal, and 2. Do you normally have to work on the sheet metal to give clearance to get a stroker motor in and out?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP Tight getting out of my 65 Reply with quote

I've never done an install with valve covers off; I'd be afraid of getting crap into the engine.

I have done installs without the exhaust though.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP Tight getting out of my 65 Reply with quote

I find that removing the driver-side heat exchanger from the 1600 d/p in my ‘63 makes engine r&r a bit easier.

Remove the valve covers if you need to. If you’re worried about getting dirt in the motor, you might consider removing the rocker shafts & pushrods too, then stuff some rags or paper towel in the pushrod tubes. Wipe out the rocker boxes really well once the motor’s back in and before reinstallling the valve gear.

Can’t advise on the stroker...never put one in an early car.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP Tight getting out of my 65 Reply with quote

I struggle with this too.
I've thought about removing the covers too but decided to massage the metal on either side a bit as it would not be seen and there is no chance of bending/damaging anything internally WHEN the engine swings and acts foolish
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: