Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinder #3 suddenly not working.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Cylinder #3 suddenly not working. Reply with quote

I started the van to drive home after work last night and it sounded like I was only running on 3 cylinders. Rough idle and poor acceleration. It was after midnight so I limped the 2 miles home and poured a bottle of Heet into the tank thinking/hoping there might be some water in the gas.

This morning I tore into it and discovered that the exhaust pipe from #3 was cold while all the other pipes warmed up.
Maybe its a bad spark plug I thought. Switched the plugs between #3 and #4 with no change.
OK, maybe its a bad spark plug wire I thought. Switched the wires between #3 and #4 with no change.

Then I removed the valve cover to make sure all the valves were opening and closing and everything appeared to be normal.

This is a 3 year old motor with tons of new parts installed in June 18' in preparation for a cross country trip and up until now the only issue I've had was a wheel bearing failure in South Dakota and a failing coil which was replaced in Fort Collins.

I'm guessing the next step would be to swap the injectors?
I'm getting fuel to that side of the rail since #4 is chugging right along..

Anything else I should check that my little brain is missing?

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder #3 suddenly not working. Reply with quote

compression test
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder #3 suddenly not working. Reply with quote

Inspect cap,rotor, and plug...you’ve done plug already.

Run compression on plug #3 while out

Fuel injection last.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder #3 suddenly not working. Reply with quote

Make sure that injector plug is getting a signal, and check the resistance value of the injector itself. Try swapping injector plugs between #3 and #4

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder #3 suddenly not working. Reply with quote

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I'm currently on assignment and don't have my compression test kit with me (space in the van was limited so not all my fun tools made the cut) but I'll check the injector plug first for signal and then swap the injectors and report back.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder #3 suddenly not working. Reply with quote

Found the culprit!

I wasn't getting a reading from the plug for cylinder #3 so I took it apart because I could see a little bit of corrosion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Luckily I had some of these connectors handy from when I remade the engine wiring harness last year.
Cut back some of the wiring and crimped on a new pair and it fired right up.

I'm going to go thru and check the other three injector plugs and use some dielectric grease to prevent further corrosion.

Thanks for all the help!

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder #3 suddenly not working. Reply with quote

I had that same level of corrosion on the coolant temp plug. It broke off inside the boot.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder #3 suddenly not working. Reply with quote

Is Vaseline similar to Dielectric grease?

I have a tube lying around from a recent windshield install.

T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder #3 suddenly not working. Reply with quote

Good quick solution...

You should wait to get a tube of silicone / dielectric grease because it will seal up the connectors better. Vaseline will melt in the heat and run out. Careful not to loose track of the rectangular silicone gaskets inside the female end of the plug they are hard to find...

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder #3 suddenly not working. Reply with quote

Will do.
Thanks for the heads up T3 Pilot!

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder #3 suddenly not working. Reply with quote

It's almost always a simple fix. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: