Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What non-VW projects are you working on?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zmichael84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

I find myself always working on something... Most recently I did an end table for the living room with bottle caps in resin:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was collecting caps (I don't know why) and suddenly had too many. Last year I made a whole bunch of resin coasters and gave them out as Christmas gifts and it got me wanting to do a couple tables. So, I still have one more I want to do if I don't get distracted with something else. (damn pintrest... Laughing )

So, what else ya'll working on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

my winter project, can't afford a real bus so this will do.
Home built aluminum frame, carbon fiber/fiberglass body.
this is just the first base coat before we shoot the flake and candy orange

she can't wait until we are cruising in style

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

95 benz e300d as a distraction and a house built in the 1830's, constant.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

Ahhhh..., a young co operative bully, those were the days.... Mine's gotten all old and broken and couldn't get into that any more (although he'd still try), sigh....
Are you getting her some goggles?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

she's 9 so not young anymore, and she loves the sidecar because it's fresh air sunshine and low input .

she's had Rexspecs for a couple of years, since we built the first sidecar, helps with allergies too

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
she's 9 so not young anymore,

Wow, impressively non beat up nose!, mine's 11 and starting to have assorted old guy problems, enjoy her "youth" while you can Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
dms
Fred G. Sanford

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
my winter project, can't afford a real bus so this will do.
Home built aluminum frame, carbon fiber/fiberglass body.
this is just the first base coat before we shoot the flake and candy orange

That looks so cool ! Cool
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Too many projects by far to list here and I just took on finishing 2 model airplanes and a model sail boat for a good buddy who is dying from cancer just to ease his mind that they wouldn't hit the trash.

I doubt that I will live long enough even if I make 100 to finish my own never mind these... Rolling Eyes
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

1983 Mercedes 240D, bought for my wife's 60th birthday last summer. It's in awesome shape, bought from original owner, he was 89 and could no longer drive , been sitting last 12 years, running decent now, just going thru all systems and bringing up to date for daily, summer time, use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Bus sidecar for the bully is awesome.

I finished this a couple weeks ago, sorta silly way to do it but it's super stout.
Got frustrated with how little sink-side countertop I had so I bolted on a toolbox side-table and magnetically attached a piece of butcherblock.
Hinges would have been easier, but I like how idiot proof the piano-hinge prop is. Lets me feel safe setting my laptop on it.

Need to pull the engine on my old garden tractor next and figure out why it's not running; get it ready for mowing again, grass is starting to perk up.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Like most of us, too many projects at once. Most have been sitting for years.. either not enough time or not enough money, never both at the same time. Thought I'd get on some of it this winter since business is typically slower, but I just didn't feel like getting into a cold garage when the only source of heat is a propane torpedo (noise gets on my nerves). But.. been accumulating parts for my wife's "project" since she really wanted one: a 1968 Ultravan:

Not ours, but here's what they look like off a lift:

Doing some major modifications from the original layout, and some bodywork as ours had been hit in the front, so some structure needs to be rebuilt and, of course, the body panels.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Way too many for me to list, or to take photos of. And does Everett allow uploading those photos on this site???

Anyway:
lawn tractor idler pulleys, mower deck cleaning and lubing
sewing a patch onto my PalmGard hand protector for softball
new valve cover gasket for 1998 Frontier
planting apple tree
repairing concrete slab corner to support patio roof
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Photo would have to have VW content, otherwise use another image source.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Well.. I always have a project (sigh)...could be home remodel, land/yard upgrades, repurposing just about anything.. and yes.... something vehicular .. maybe VW maybe not..
I try to stay focused... . but ADD ADHD is real BS sometimes. Laughing

I am a truckers son... a real trucker.. not one of these new flip flop wearing steering wheel holders thats a majority today..... Back when cab overs rulled the roads and two stroke Detroit Diesel power was dominant..

I have always had a love for old semi trucks ... so no red Corvette for me.. .. EVER.... nor rarely do I ever do anything.. the easy way.... Confused

A few years ago I bought a 77 Heavy Chevy HV70 flatbed (ex fire pumper) with a 6V53 Detroit screamer ... It was kool ... but it was not a cab over.. and it was not quite what was looking for. .. After clean up and service I hauled some hay for a local farm for some summer weekend fun favors ..then decided to sell it to a buyer that apprciated it and was exaclty what he wanted.

So kept looking for somthing (cab over).... and had a shot late last summer on a barn find locally .... and took it.. or..jumped off the edge.. Laughing

1967 International Harvester CO 4000D .. powered by the mighty 671 Detroit Diesel "Jimmy"
Very low mileage for a commercial truck and a former local bread delivery truck....
Old IH trucks are nicknamed "Binders" or 13 letter shit spreaders. Laughing

My latest labor of a project.. plus more importantly ... enjoying time with my Pop.
When I saw the smile on his face in that barn.... it was no question in my mind what I was doing.. it was coming home..

Sorry... no belt trick will be attempted on this one... Laughing

The Whinder Binder ....
Hope to get back to it soon.. stay tuned.. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQooZf2woOg7kKdGwzHm9qPRByLhrDbNh

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

61 Jag MkII that needs the engine trans pulled out with subframe. needs brakes, needs a trans. some welding too. needs everything since my uncle had it sitting for 35 years or so.
DavoVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Been working on this boat (1983 Mako 258) for 2 years, got it on the water last spring. Dragged it across the country after buying for $800. Fixed up some 80's outboard motors and got those running well.

I built this motorcycle from spare parts from the various vintage bikes I've fixed up. The mustang is my wife's and needs an engine refresh this year so that's on the list...probably trying for a 2 for 1 deal with my 2.1 wbx that probably will get a rebuild sooner than later.

Last edited by DavoVan on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Built another raised bed for the garden and started clearing out some of the old beds. My herb beds are a little overgrown since more stuff survived the winter than I expected. I planted a few tomatoes so far, but I may plant some seeds this weekend.

The mower was rumbling a bit when I mowed the grass a few days ago so I am now rebuilding the mower deck for my lawn tractor ... new bearings and blades and some fresh paint while it is apart.

Then maybe I can get back to my house renovation. More projects than time.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

2nd floor bathroom

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

I’m building my own squat rack for my home gym...got tired of all the douchery at the gym, so I’ve been building/accumulating my own stuff.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
she's 9 so not young anymore, and she loves the sidecar because it's fresh air sunshine and low input .

she's had Rexspecs for a couple of years, since we built the first sidecar, helps with allergies too

That is incredible. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy My beagles wouldn't stay in it. The first site of a rabbit or squirrel and...….

Last edited by Dwayne1m on Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: