Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What non-VW projects are you working on?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Sounds like it's time to fake a back injury. Wink

Such might interfere with my "nighttime activities".

windfish wrote:
^ I put down 840sqft of Lowes' LVP, Smartcore, last year

I just looked at that online; looks very similar to HD Lifeproof, maybe even same manufacturer. Mrs. Cusser likes the look/color of the Seasoned Wood Lifeproof, so that will be it. Home Depot periodically sends out mailers with 10% off, so hopefully will wait for one of those to save like $120.

Anyway, I'll start with family room and dining room, about 600 SF. That will not match that well with some adjacent oak Pergo that's old and some absorbed water, but will assess after that about whether to continue by myself or hire outside help. My whole area will not be continuous, will break into sections with thresholds/moldings for both expansion/contraction and for ease of install.

If it lifeproof, does that make it deadly?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

I am working on this Walker Turner trans jack -clean and paint camo.

Always wanted one for installing VW engines or dropping truck trans. Drove 4 hours to PA to get this thing. 'she can lift 28 inches off the ground and 1000 lbs capacity.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Cusser, why do you have a fireplace in phoenix?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

The Phoenix place was built in 1979 (we purchased in 1988) and is a block home which had a brick fireplace when built; it actually doesn't draft real well but looks real good. Plus Maricopa County has numerous no-burn days, typically Thanksgiving and Christmas timeframes. So I bought an electric fireplace insert for it for Mrs. Cusser, which gives off some heat and looks like a fire, and Mrs. Cusser loves it. We have a backyard portable fire pit and a small portable propane-fueled outdoor fire pit as well. Because - believe it or not - sometimes in winter it does get down to the 40s Fahrenheit.

At the Prescott area place (colder) the home has a built-in propane fireplace and we have the same portable propane patio unit here as well. This area does get a few snowfalls, maybe 3 inches of snow at a time.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
calvinater wrote:

The Phoenix place was built in 1979 (we purchased in 1988) and is a block home which had a brick fireplace when built; it actually doesn't draft real well but looks real good. Plus Maricopa County has numerous no-burn days, typically Thanksgiving and Christmas timeframes. So I bought an electric fireplace insert for it for Mrs. Cusser, which gives off some heat and looks like a fire, and Mrs. Cusser loves it. We have a backyard portable fire pit and a small portable propane-fueled outdoor fire pit as well. Because - believe it or not - sometimes in winter it does get down to the 40s Fahrenheit.

At the Prescott area place (colder) the home has a built-in propane fireplace and we have the same portable propane patio unit here as well. This area does get a few snowfalls, maybe 3 inches of snow at a time.

I was under the impression she has her own heater. Wink

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

1970-ish Alsport trike.

Got it all apart, made some improvements, and doing the final bodywork before paint and re-assembly
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
I was under the impression she has her own heater. Wink

She can be hot at times....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
The Phoenix place was built in 1979 (we purchased in 1988) and is a block home which had a brick fireplace when built; it actually doesn't draft real well but looks real good.

Of course you also have the deep orange, green or gold shag carpet, the 6"+ diameter candles on dark wood spindles on each side, a bearskin rug and some macrame plant hangers to go with it, sounds perfect for an intimate fondue party! Just make sure you slap on some Old spice first Wink Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

Not Cusser but I think almost everyone has a fireplace here.

I'm not sure why they would ever use it but I've definitely seen people using it in my neighborhood. I can smell it and see smoke coming out in the winter.
It's the same people that I'm not sure ever open their windows. They go straight from A/C to running the heater and back.

Everywhere I've lived we used it as the place to put the TV since it's nice and central in the living room. You can tuck a powerstrip and other stuff back in there too so it's out of sight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
calvinater wrote:

Not Cusser but I think almost everyone has a fireplace here.

I'm not sure why they would ever use it but I've definitely seen people using it in my neighborhood. I can smell it and see smoke coming out in the winter.
It's the same people that I'm not sure ever open their windows. They go straight from A/C to running the heater and back.

Everywhere I've lived we used it as the place to put the TV since it's nice and central in the living room. You can tuck a powerstrip and other stuff back in there too so it's out of sight.

With what is on TV these days, the fireplace may not be a bad place for the old boob tube. But then again, there is always the vcr for the good old stuff.

I capped off my chimney for energy savings, and keep some decorative pine cones in it now, and a reminder note to not light them, chimney capped. This really cut down on cold drafts, made the house much more comfortable in winter.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
I am working on this Walker Turner trans jack -clean and paint camo.

Always wanted one for installing VW engines or dropping truck trans. Drove 4 hours to PA to get this thing. 'she can lift 28 inches off the ground and 1000 lbs capacity.

That is a really neat tool. Great industrial design.

I like your sig line, too. Cool
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

I just wrapped this one up. A resto of an old Dynaco ST-70 amplifier. I stripped it down, powder coated the chassis, did a full rewire, replaced all caps and resistors, and installed new tubes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

This is a project of sorts. It’s a piece of equipment that has been in use since 1983 and it’s the MD-80 commercial airliner. A later version of the original DC-9 which dates to mid 60s.

Excellent but as with everything you reach a point where things become obsolete. They could go on for years longer if we kept fixing them but newer technology is coming on line now. The Airbus 321 and the Boeing 737 max and the RJs.

At one time just a few years ago we had over 300 of theses babies but this is last one. These old MD-80s made us a ton of money over the decades. Sad to see them go, just as we bid farewell to 727s,757s,767s,DC-10s,F-100s life goes on. Thousands of people attended this going away farewell shindig. So after this they are flown to Roswell New Mexico for storage, parts removal and or demolition/scrap. Goodbye old friend. Sad

Here’s a view public never sees. This is a maintenance back door or could be used in an emergency

As seen from the other side the back door. Very Happy

That’s me sitting in pilots seat saying goodbye to my old friend.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Looks like Mrs. Cusser wants me to install about 1100 SF of Home Depot Lifeproof Seasoned Wood Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring in place of lousy carpet and some old Pergo.

This
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifeProof-Seasoned-Woo.../300461633

OK, nearly finished the "current" part of this project. Put down about 575 SF of the Seasoned Wood LifeProof flooring, need to finish up the baseboards (need white finishing nails) and put felt pads on the furniture. This style has 3 different widths, so different than the seven floors I've done previously that were all one single width. I had fireplace at 45 degree angle to go around, and a pony wall/peninsula between the dining room and family room. Also, after removing carpet found a surprise before the 8-foot sliding glass door, so had to chisel away parts to get flatter surface; seemed like builder decided to add 3" additional concrete to the slab. But it looks good, and baths with wine and Mrs. Cusser at the end of each day helped.

OK, finished that, and also did the bedroom floor with same. Did half the room, slid the bed over that, did the second half. Looks good.

Yesterday I picked up 18 more cases of flooring to do the entry, kitchen, and laundry room "someday"; used my 10% off coupon to save $114, and ensures that the flooring won't suddenly be discontinued.

I also stopped at Lowes and picked up small pavers and used our metal outer fire pit to make a better one; metal pan fits right in, took 15 minutes to build, blocks are just stacked, metal pan simply dropped in.

YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

My son and I went to the Berlin ComicCon last weekend.

Been working on our cosplay for about 6 months, a LOT of 3d printing, sewing and gluing.
On the left, The ManDelorean and on the right The Doctor Strange

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Small project here change the hood on a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner because of hail damage and paint degradation. Called a local salvage yard and located a suitable replacement and upgraded to the sport model with phony hood scoop Very Happy easy enough these things are still plentiful. I probably could have waited for one in the correct color too I don’t mind repainting this dark blue example that shipped all the way from Dallas.

What seems really impressive to me is the way this part fits, even though it came from another vehicle it lines up perfectly. Just four small bolts and the hose for windshield washer nozzles. The gap between fender and hood is minimal and uniform, the only real adjustment is the height in front which is controlled by adjustment of two rubber bumpers. Fit and finish is great thanks Toyota. I also included some VW content here, that’s my original 1977 homebuilt sandrail/buggy built by a local guru owner of a salvage yard.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Lay down a carbon fiber wrap on that hood and you are done! Very Happy

No repainting needed and instant +25hp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
The ManDelorean

Laughing NICE!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Lay down a carbon fiber wrap on that hood and you are done! Very Happy

No repainting needed and instant +25hp.

And a wing added to the rear will add another 100 HP I hear! Wink
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

plus spinners if you don't have them already.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: