Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Craigslist 1970 bug
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Thought I'd start a thread to document the work on my latest vw. It's a 1970 I found for sale on craiglist in San Francisco. The owner didn't want to sell it to me as I could not pay him cash in hand, luckily a samba member who lives locally stepped in to help me seal the deal, thanks again Leslie Cool

Car appeared all original from what I could see in the pictures, but I still had a nervous wait while it was being shipped over. I picked the car up last week from the shippers and was delighted to find the car looked as good as I hoped it would.

It's 100% original paint and all original body panels and fenders etc.

As seen on craigslist add.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So for now I'm concentrating on the clean up, it's been sitting in a shed unused since 1994. The paint on the topside was all chalky, luckily the underside of fenders and wheel Wells all have a good coat of waxy underseal and it's protected the paint very well.

Sneak peek into the future.

[/img]
coxy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Nice one Barry. That's lovely. Solid sunroof Bugs are the way to go! Looking forward to seeing it out and about.
What about your black Beetle? How's that one coming along?
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

That looks exceptional. It sure is fun to discover that a classic was well taken care of and ready to be made road worthy again. Keep up the good work.

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

coxy wrote:
Nice one Barry. That's lovely. Solid sunroof Bugs are the way to go! Looking forward to seeing it out and about.

Howya Cathal, still have the black one too, been working on bodywork issues. Plan is for now to throw the goodies I had collected for it on to this one.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

boundstaffpress wrote:
That looks exceptional. It sure is fun to discover that a classic was well taken care of and ready to be made road worthy again. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, always great digging into a new vw and being pleasantly surprised.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Other side is just as clean.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Nice Bug! I will be following along! Glad you found one!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Hi Barry,
Another cracking project. You gotta get some pics of the black one up. One of my black one's is nearing being on the road, hoping to go to Stonor in it. They're never finished though Very Happy
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

You can bring that oxidized single stage paint back to life if you are willing to put forth the effort.

Google Mike Phillips single stage paint and check out his transformations. You have to feed the paint oils and let it set up then do it over and over then finally polish and protect.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phil...llips.html
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Nice Bug! I will be following along! Glad you found one!

Thanks Jimbo.

offtherailz1 wrote:
Hi Barry,
Another cracking project. You gotta get some pics of the black one up. One of my black one's is nearing being on the road, hoping to go to Stonor in it. They're never finished though

Hi mate I saw some pics of yours recently, looks like you're almost there with it well done.

My black one won't be done any time soon so I bought this to put the parts I have to use for now. I'm working through the bodywork ad it's slow going, especially when I haven't touched it for a year or so.

74 Thing wrote:
You can bring that oxidized single stage paint back to life if you are willing to put forth the effort.

Google Mike Phillips single stage paint and check out his transformations. You have to feed the paint oils and let it set up then do it over and over then finally polish and protect.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phil...llips.html

Thanks, I'm happy with the paint as it is, I just washed it with water and cif household cleaner. I don't want it too shiney so I won't be polishing the paint.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Really unbelievable condition underneath. Congratulations on a very nice bug.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Really unbelievable condition underneath. Congratulations on a very nice bug.

Thanks Buggee, I knew it was clean but I'm surprised how clean it's turned out to be.

Got the rear wheel wells cleaned up, same story as the front though I did find a small rust hole. I think it's from a leaky rear window seal or maybe a leaking sunroof drain tube. The fender bolt next to the rust was tight to come out too. All other bolts came out like new.

Rust hole

The previous owner replaced the brake hoses but didn't bleed the system so that's next on the agenda. He also replaced ignition wires and plugs etc on the motor, it starts up and sounds strong but hesitates and splutters like crazy under load. Hopefully easy fix there.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Wheelwells are AMAZING! Would not have believed it without your photos- not even gravel scrapes, etc. Great to see how well you are cleaning them and preserving the factory-original paint in those areas.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Damn dude, That is CLEAN. Most of them had undercoating applied in the wheel well areas I believe from the dealer.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I forgot I had a beam to swap first so I done that today, it has adjusters and disc brakes.

Old beam off, everything came apart so easy, even the ball joints. I scored 4 original vw ball joints in good usable condition so used them again, beats the stiff ones they sell today.

New brakes on.

Back on the ground on new shoes.

[img]
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

You suck, just kidding. Those of us in "New" England would trade our first born for that car. Enjoy it , looks sublime.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

I like the upgrades! Nice rims!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I like the upgrades! Nice rims!

X2 Awesome Wheels
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

Brakes bled, new koni shocks fitted and carb removed, cleaned and refitted. Other than brake fluid I don't think I've bought anything for it.

All good to go now and even the weather here is perfect for a drive.

Last edited by challomoner on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
coxy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Craigslist 1970 bug Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
coxy wrote:

Howya Cathal, still have the black one too, been working on bodywork issues. Plan is for now to throw the goodies I had collected for it on to this one.

Sounds like a sweet plan to me Barry! Well done on the new Beetle. I'm loving this thread as you work through the Beetle. It's so solid and clean that I'd say even you can't believe your luck! Looking forward to seeing it over the next few months hopefully.
At least if you get this one on the road you'll be able to tip away on the black one, which if I remember was another fantastic looking Beetle.........you can't beat black on a Beetle!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: