Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The names we use for VW parts/tools
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONEBADBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

How many know who "Hans Gesundheit" is?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

is that the guy who wanted payment whenever someone sneezes?
any how shooting brake, station wagon etc come from old (horse era) coach builders terminology
"Like many early automotive body styles, the shooting brake was originally a type of horse-drawn vehicle. A brake was originally a chassis hooked to spirited horses to "break" them; however the etymology of the term is unknown. It is possible that the word 'brake' has its origins in the Dutch word 'brik' which means 'cart' or 'carriage'.[citation needed] The term brake later became broader in definition, being used for wagons in general.

The shooting brake, which began in England in the 1890s, was a wagon (more specifically a type of wagonette) designed to transport hunting spoils, gun racks and ammunition on shooting trips." from wikipedia
we in the uk tend to use the term estate car.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

ONEBADBUG wrote:
How many know who "Hans Gesundheit" is?

That was the villain in Die Hard. Laughing
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
A Wheel is the total combination of a tire mounted on a rim.

Freeway Flyer = A bullshit marketing term.

Yes there is a scientific difference between a motor and an engine. One produces energy and another converts energy.

Many names come from other parts of the world.

Applause

There are common usage terms and those found in a dusty dictionary. Engine vs motor is my pet peeve it doesn't have to be yours.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Yes there is a scientific difference between a motor and an engine. One produces energy and another converts energy.

Applause

There are common usage terms and those found in a dusty dictionary. Engine vs motor is my pet peeve it doesn't have to be yours.

Along that line, it grates my grits when I read about someone "turning on" their VW. You start an engine, you turn on a motor.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

my wife used to be a motor in that sense.

other things VW:
heater boxes
and good gawd trying to tell the poor auto parts guy he can't look up what car in the computer, I just need a part that looks like this or is this size...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

Bumber = Bumper

Break = Brake

Carman Gia, Karnam Gia, Karman Gi, Carmnan, Gia Karman Ghi, or any alternate spelling of Karmann Ghia =

KARMANN GHIA!!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

Pea shooter = Muffler pipe

Quiet pack = Not quiet, but quitter than a glass pack

Glass pack = obnoxious noisy steel chamber filled with fiberglass.

Nose cone = (For you TDC) Tranny's front hockey stick holder.

Hockey stock = shift selector lever in transmission nose cone.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

How about the oh shit handle=dash grab bar
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

Tommy bar=
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
tasb wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Applause

Along that line, it grates my grits when I read about someone "turning on" their VW. You start an engine, you turn on a motor.

Yep, 'turn on" a motor is a real turn off.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Carman Gia, Karnam Gia, Karman Gi, Carmnan, Gia Karman Ghi, or any alternate spelling of Karmann Ghia =

KARMANN GHIA!!!

"Common gear"
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:

Hmmm I thought it was the "Holy F*** bar!". Good to know! Laughing

The cost of building an engine yourself is like converting to metric..."Double it and add thirty!"
ONEBADBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

How about "Duck Butter" or "Rat grabbers"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

I've been around VW's for forty-eight years and have never heard of either of those. Your supposed to give us a clue to what they are instead of leaving us guessing.

slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
Maybe someone could educate me as to why station wagons like the squareback are called “shooting brakes”.

or wikipedia could...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting-brake

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

Firebuggy wrote:
jwp67 wrote:

In my old bug I mounted one also on the drivers side. I called them 'stirrups'. Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ONEBADBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
I've been around VW's for forty-eight years and have never heard of either of those. Your supposed to give us a clue to what they are instead of leaving us guessing.

I didn't know there were rules.
Duckbutter Clue: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716482&highlight=
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Firebuggy wrote:
jwp67 wrote:

In my old bug I mounted one also on the drivers side. I called them 'stirrups'. Wink

No, those are mounted high on the B-pillar.
tasb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The names we use for VW parts/tools Reply with quote

ONEBADBUG wrote:
tasb wrote:

I didn't know there were rules.
Duckbutter Clue: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716482&highlight=

Not really a rule but it was suggested by the OP and the third post to do so. I'm not really interested in reading through three pages so,

What is Duck butter
Rat grabber

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: