Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja with a 1986 Jetta diesel motor in it. Won't start. Glow pl
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Baja with a 1986 Jetta diesel motor in it. Won't start. Glow pl Reply with quote

My buddy just bought it and asked me to help start it.
the seller replaced the fuel filter and the lines were full of air. But he claimed it ran fine before that.
We got all the air out.
I got it to catch for about 1 second.
I think the cylinders were gelled with fuel.

I can't tell if the glow plugs are heating.
I can hear the aftermarket relay clicking. They are getting power.

What is the easiest way to tell if they are heating? Pull one and ground it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Baja with a 1986 Jetta diesel motor in it. Won't start. Glow pl Reply with quote

If you got it to "catch", it probably still has air in the lines someplace. Crack the unions open at the injectors & crank until it spurts fuel from all the lines, then tighten the unions & try starting again.

Getting at #1 & #2 glow plugs is a total PITA. If you have bad glow plugs, these are likely to be the problem since they're the ones hardest to get to. The early diesels NEED all plugs to function if the temps are below 60*.

You'll probably get more input on the engine side of things in the "Water cooled" section.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Baja with a 1986 Jetta diesel motor in it. Won't start. Glow pl Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
If you got it to "catch", it probably still has air in the lines someplace. Crack the unions open at the injectors & crank until it spurts fuel from all the lines, then tighten the unions & try starting again.

Getting at #1 & #2 glow plugs is a total PITA. If you have bad glow plugs, these are likely to be the problem since they're the ones hardest to get to. The early diesels NEED all plugs to function if the temps are below 60*.

You'll probably get more input on the engine side of things in the "Water cooled" section.

What I crack them all at once,?
And how would I keep it from sucking air back in it once I stop cranking it? Who are you I mean once I stop cranking it it will suck air back in until I tighten the unions… Correct
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: