Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this wire?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jmathison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: What is this wire? Reply with quote

Okay, so i'm working on an 84 Westy I purchased a few months ago and noticed this wire unplugged. Without taking the entire dash out, I'm having trouble locating where it goes. I haven't been able to find a helpful wiring diagram for my year and model so I figured I would reach out the The Samba community. Also if anyone has a suggestion of where to find a diagram, i'm also having trouble getting my front heat/ac working. It works fine in the back so i'm assuming it's wiring or something simple.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

Possibly relates to the stereo - perhaps the rear speakers.

The wiring diagram in the back of the Bentley is quite accurate. It does take some getting used to if you are not experienced with the German current track approach.

You might consider removing rings (or any other jewelry) when working on the van - especially if messing with electrics.
Jmathison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll have a better look at the Bentley manual. Thanks for the tip, I always remove my jewelry and disconnect the battery when doing anything electrical. I didn't have my phone on me when I was working on it yesterday, so I just ran out quick to take a pic.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

FWIW, the smaller silver outlet in the dash is a 12v outlet (a DIN spec and plugs are available from BMW motorcycle, John Deere tractor dealers and other sources if you want to put it into service). It often comes up as a "whats's this?" question.

I wonder if your orphan plug fits into the back of your silver outlet?

Silver outlet threads...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-281701--.html
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650483

p.s. I've been going to the doctor often lately so I'm conditioned to getting answers for questions I haven't asked. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Jmathison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I actually thought the same so I checked and that smaller silver outlet is already hooked up and has power.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

Where do the other ends of the wires go. The solid colored wires indicate that it is probably for some aftermarket gadgetry.
Jmathison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

It looks like it goes up and back towards the back of the van. Probably the radio in the back installed by the heat/ac fans. Thanks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

Jmathison wrote:
It looks like it goes up and back towards the back of the van. Probably the radio in the back installed by the heat/ac fans. Thanks!

You could take a quick peek at the wires back there and see if they match

If they do, probably thats the explanation.

If they don't, indeterminate. People will often cheap out and change a wire colour mid stream on a long run to use what they find in the dustbin rather than buy a new spool. This is poor wiring practice, by the way. Wire runs should be a single continuous colour or have a connector and document the change.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

Speaker wires to the back. They use a common ground wire (grey), which is why there are only three wires. A modern sound system needs separate ground wires, so it is recommended to run another wire proactively.
smd333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

I have a hard time deciphering the wiring diagrams in the bentley. Probably will get better with practice I have an 8 year plan
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

If you found this somewhere behind the glove box it's definitely the three wires that lead back to the rear speakers. If you are planning to upgrade to a modern stereo you will need to either run a fourth wire back to the rear speakers, so that each rear speaker has a separate ground, or purchase a floating ground adapter which is the approach we took when we installed our Blaupunkt Columbus in our Westy. We went with the Scosche Floating Ground Adapter that I found on Amazon.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

smd333 wrote:
I have a hard time deciphering the wiring diagrams in the bentley
Speaker wires are not in the diagram because they are not part of the 12v wiring system.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

The separate various radio wiring diagrams are there for 86+ vans.
The 86 radio diagram has the same 3 wire colors for the rear speakers.

Mark
Jmathison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help everyone! Makes sense. I found an adaptor so that i can use it with my stereo.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What is this wire? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
...A modern sound system needs separate ground wires, so it is recommended to run another wire proactively.

That is what I did - but worth noting that the additional wire does not have to follow the same path as the bundle of 3.

IOW, there are easier ways/paths to get that extra wire back there than up the A pillar and along the top of the doors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: