Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So I bought a bug... what do I have?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: So I bought a bug... what do I have? Reply with quote

I bought a 60 baja bug last night. It is in really nice shape and has been well looked after.

Unfortunately, the guy I got it from wasn’t sure about what the engine build is.

I know the engine is from a 72 beetle and has dual Kadron carbs, it has aftermarket exhaust and a stinger. It appears to have been a fairly high dollar build in the 80s.

How do I figure out what cam, pistons / cylinders, heads I have?

Assuming it’s a stock 48 HP 1600 with Kadrons and Exhaust, would it be ~60 HP?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: So I bought a bug... what do I have? Reply with quote

Post up the engine vin under the oil stand to give you an idea of what case you have and what the engine started as. Behind that, without measuring the bird and stroke you’re just guessing. I believe all cams are marked so that if you remove the oil pump, you can see the number marked on the end. Heads, pull the valve covers off and post up what the numbers are marked.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: