Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New fuel pump with regulator
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

My daily driver started having problems and I determined that it was my fuel pump. I bought a new one and after checking The Samba, I realized I needed to have a fuel regulator. I also determined that my local parts house only had the crappy ones.

I found one on Jegs as part #555-15911. It was a bit cheaper than the Holly version. It seems to be working just fine.

I realize that my picture has the plastic filter that I will be replacing with the metal filter from my local parts store.

I thought it would be nice to help with folks that need to figure out where to get this thing mounted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

Honestly I’ve been building engines a long time and never needed a regulator. I see you have the non rebuildable type but it’s still possible to regulate pressure. Lots of threads here on fuel pumps
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

I also do not have a fuel pressure regulator on either of my two VWs.

One has a fuel pump (with circlips on the horizontal pivot rod) from O'Reilly, and I tested that at 3.2 psi

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

You DON'T need all that extra "stuff" to obtain the correct fuel pressure. A restored German Pierburg fuel pump with the correct OEM Effbe kit will have fuel pressure right at 3psi. I know this because I've rebuilt hundreds of them. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

What are the current good choices for alternator style pumps? I like the look of the old pumps and the quality of a rebuildable pump. However, I have an alternator engine and was wondering what options I have, both modern mechanical and rebuilt. Heck, I'd consider an electric pump even, it it was built to the correct pressure (no regulator needed) and had a good reputation for reliability. Just fitting engine tins today and the quality of modern replacement parts is, once again, less than inspiring. Intake and exhaust are next items...
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

Related, but not. Finding the Brosals that I really like (with correct pressure) seem to last about 7 years with 10% ethanol. Anybody have any thoughts and a better alternative OR are the rebuild kits for Pierburgs good for alcohol?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

To the OP I applaud your effort to make a substandard part work. It seems we are flooded with parts which need tweaking to work, thats too bad. For those of you on a budget with a little time to spare may I suggest buying factory core parts and rebuilding them yourself using the correct kits. Once again you took a bad situation and found a solution, good on you.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

See link below on engine fires and safety wires.

Bug On! With Regulation!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
What are the current good choices for alternator style pumps? I like the look of the old pumps and the quality of a rebuildable pump. However, I have an alternator engine and was wondering what options I have, both modern mechanical and rebuilt. Heck, I'd consider an electric pump even, it it was built to the correct pressure (no regulator needed) and had a good reputation for reliability. Just fitting engine tins today and the quality of modern replacement parts is, once again, less than inspiring. Intake and exhaust are next items...

I've sold both square top and dome top German Pierburg rebuildable fuel pumps to folks running alternators. The last guy reported it bolted right on. I know others had to lift up their fan shroud and alternator an inch or two, put the pump on then put the fan shroud back in place to install it. But, they do fit even with alternators.

The OE Effbe rebuild kits sold today have diaphragms designed to withstand ethanol.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

I run an original Pierburg square-top pump with an alternator. It can be installed/removed with the alt. in place if you lift up the
carburetor so the mounting studs don't interfere.

That said, there is actually an alt-style, new mechanical pump with the Pierburg name on it available
from these guys: https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/113127025G-MFG244.aspx . The pump seems to be a rebranded
Italian-made pump. I haven't actually installed it yet, but I checked it out and reported on it
here: https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?p=231428#p231428 .

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

I have plans to rebuild my old pump but I needed to have my vehicle up and running now as this is my daily driver. When the weather gets warm enough (I'm in Montana), I will take the time to do the rebuild and put it back on. I prefer to use as many of the original parts as I can.

When I first got this aftermarket pump and was reading about pumps on the Samba, I checked the pressure with my gauge and it was pushing about 4 pounds and I experienced the problems of hard starting. Now it is running 2.5 and runs great.

One thing about that regulator is that you need to dump the "plug" is came with and install a brass plug. Also, as I did, make sure your sealant is OK for fuel.

This is a great site and I appreciate all the help and assistance that the members give each other.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump with regulator Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
I run an original Pierburg square-top pump with an alternator. It can be installed/removed with the alt. in place if you lift up the
carburetor so the mounting studs don't interfere.

That said, there is actually an alt-style, new mechanical pump with the Pierburg name on it available
from these guys: https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/113127025G-MFG244.aspx . The pump seems to be a rebranded
Italian-made pump. I haven't actually installed it yet, but I checked it out and reported on it
here: https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?p=231428#p231428 .

Thanks for the review. It looks like another pump with excessive pressure for a stock carb.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: