Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new 59 Ragtop.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Guess this is a better place for a build thread. I recently scored a very original Diamond grey 59 ragtop. Build was Aug 58. 75000 original miles. I dont think the motor has ever been pulled and still running on the original clutch. Runs like a sewing machine. Little old lady owned. She banged the passenger side front fender long ago. That was replaced with an early non tube type fender. The pans are perfect. Bumpers were rusty and I just threw on a set I could find locally for cheap for now. Came with all the original brochures and sales paperwork in a binder. Just amazing. Plan is to preserve and shoot the outside with the original color. Restitch the seat seams. Change the clutch and throw out bearing. Fix the rear main seal leak. Brakes have already been gone through except for the master cylinder. I'll replace that with a German unit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

Nice find.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

Beautiful car. The paper trail is priceless.
Unless I'm missing something here, why would you want to devalue it by painting it? Buff it out-------they're only original once
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Beautiful car. The paper trail is priceless.
Unless I'm missing something here, why would you want to devalue it by painting it? Buff it out-------they're only original once

It was repainted in the 70s or 80s a pale yellow. I'm thinking after the fender was replaced. Its primered now. I may try to take it back to the original paint and blend where needed. I wish she still had the original color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

1st off, 1 beautiful OG car, lucky you. Color combo is nice, I love me a grey car.
Do you think you can find the og color w/o repaint? Howd you find it?
Enjoy it.
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

This is what she looked like when it was found. I traded a 72 914 I restored for it. The guy I got it from bought it last year from the guy who got it from the granddaughter of the original owner. Aparently it was stored in a garage for awhile after she stopped driving.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

Malanthius wrote:

Nothing better than a little old lady who loved her Volkswagen. Very Happy
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

[quote="iowegian"]
Malanthius wrote:

Nothing better than a little old lady who loved her Volkswagen. Very Happy[/quote

Yup! I love that picture!
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

Put hot water, bleach and soap in a sprayer, and tape off inside with plastic,
and it should clean that ceiling up with a brush...test small area 1st of course Idea
(LET BLEACH SIT AT LEAST 10 MINS)
Rinse...Happy time Very Happy

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!

Last edited by Evil Clown on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:39 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

damn. I lived in the AV since 91 and never saw that car lol

congrats on the find.

BTW- your next door neighbor flexing for the Google car (on street view) is hilarious

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

Evil Clown wrote:
Put hot water, bleach and soap in a sprayer, and tape off inside with plastic,
and it should clean that ceiling up with a brush...test small area 1st of course Idea
(LET BLEACH SIT AT LEAST 10 MINS)
Rinse...Happy time Very Happy

Thanks! I've been thinking of ways to try and clean it without ruining it. I'll give that a try in a small area! I'll let you know how it comes out.
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:
damn. I lived in the AV since 91 and never saw that car lol

congrats on the find.

BTW- your next door neighbor flexing for the Google car (on street view) is hilarious

This bug was up north originally. The guy who got it from the original family had it in Apple valley and then it went to Ventura. I got it from the guy in Ventura a couple weeks ago.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

Be very wary about cleaning the headliner. The nap will come off the cloth. A vacuum may even pull it off.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

Beautiful! Looks like diamond grey metallic to me, L243.

Don
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

Got some work done this weekend. Pulled engine. Replaced clutch, main seal, trans seal, throwout bearing and wife and I restitched the front seats! Also installed the thermo-ring that was in the box when I got the car. Never knew this existed! Weird how it works. Not sure what it even does but it does open and close with the thermostat. Wonder why it was removed?

Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice on the headliner. Having tried cleaning it just yet. Going to attempt that soon. Will be restitching the rear seat back next.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

Malanthius wrote:
Got some work done this weekend. Pulled engine. Replaced clutch, main seal, trans seal, throwout bearing and wife and I restitched the front seats! Also installed the thermo-ring that was in the box when I got the car. Never knew this existed! Weird how it works. Not sure what it even does but it does open and close with the thermostat. Wonder why it was removed?

A lot of folks wrongly felt it wasn't needed . My system is missing in my '62 stale air. Same as what you have. The ring blocks the cooling air on start up so your engine can get up to temp. faster. Otherwise it takes longer to get up to temp.,oil collects water and you'll get that white substance on the underside of oil cap, rocker covers, and elsewhere.

Also agree your car looks like it was org. diamond grey.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/59l243.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

No hair board stuck to the floor pans? Wonder when they started that. My 65 took a day of scraping to get to the floor boards. Beautiful car! Nice find.
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
Malanthius wrote:

A lot of folks wrongly felt it wasn't needed . My system is missing in my '62 stale air. Same as what you have. The ring blocks the cooling air on start up so your engine can get up to temp. faster. Otherwise it takes longer to get up to temp.,oil collects water and you'll get that white substance on the underside of oil cap, rocker covers, and elsewhere.

Also agree your car looks like it was org. diamond grey.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/59l243.html

Yeah. I confirmed its Diamond grey. Went through all the paperwork I got with it. Original order forms show Diamond grey with leatherette interior. I almost regretted installing that ring though! After getting all the work done and starting it up. Made a scraping noise when the thermostat opened. Ring was rubbing on the fan. I'll bet that's why it was removed. Couldn't seem to remove it without dropping the motor or at least loosening the fan shroud. Luckily I was able to get my had back there with a 10mm and adjust it. Now its working fine without rubbing. Very interesting engineering. I'm hoping it allows enough air in when fully open. Guess I shouldn't doubt those German engineers! Haha
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: My new 59 Ragtop. Reply with quote

ZEKE65 wrote:
No hair board stuck to the floor pans? Wonder when they started that. My 65 took a day of scraping to get to the floor boards. Beautiful car! Nice find.
right? Check out the battery tray!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: