Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

91 Power Steering Intermittent ????
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ourv12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: 91 Power Steering Intermittent ???? Reply with quote

My power steering pump reservoir is full.....lines are dry with no leaks....but steering becoming intermittently more difficult everyday. Is that a sign the power steering rack is going bad???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 91 Power Steering Intermittent ???? Reply with quote

I had similar happen and it was indeed the rack.
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Power Steering Intermittent ???? Reply with quote

I have been having some issues with my PS on my '91 that I have been having some issues tracking down. I farmed this out to my mechanic so the work is under warranty, but I want to get the job done right and understand if I am missing something in the system.

1. Original PS rack leaking, replaced with new PS rack.
2. New PS rack #1 developed play on drivers side, determined to be some metal that the pump pushed through the rack. Replaced pump and rack.
3. New PS rack #2 starting to work only intermittently (it's not really working) and I *think* I can feel play starting to develop again in the same location.

As far as I know and per Bently pg. 48.6, the system is relatively simple and is is comprised of the reservoir/pump in the rear, the hard lines leading to the rack, and the rack.

If the pump, fluid and rack have all been replaced, I am having a hard time figuring out where the issue could be coming from this second time and what else needs to be addressed in the system?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Power Steering Intermittent ???? Reply with quote

There is a filter in the PS tank that many don't know about.

A circular filter accessed by removing the top.

If this clogs (and they do) oil flow is restricted.

Check it. Better yet, replace it just because....

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-power-ste...nYEALw_wcB

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Power Steering Intermittent ???? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
There is a filter in the PS tank that many don't know about.

A circular filter accessed by removing the top.

If this clogs (and they do) oil flow is restricted.

Check it. Better yet, replace it just because....

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-power-ste...nYEALw_wcB

Dave

Is it possible for one clogged filter to disrupt the entire system? Are there any other failure points I should address? The only thing I can think of is that I used PS fluid instead of ATF fluid, but I wouldn't think this would cause such a premature failure
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Power Steering Intermittent ???? Reply with quote

Sure, the pump sucks fluid out of the container.

If it is clogged, there is low flow, low flow = erratic function.

Mercedes used this same filter back in the 1960’s into 1970’s and possibly beyond, I've certainly seen clogged PS filters.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Power Steering Intermittent ???? Reply with quote

Thanks for the link on FCP Euro for the filter DjKeev, I had forgotten about how solid that site is! It's been a decade probably since I flushed system/looked at my PS filter... I just grabbed a new PS filter and some Mann oil filters for a great deal.
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Power Steering Intermittent ???? Reply with quote

Just picked up the new filter and will install it next week when it comes in.

Any recommendations on what to look to next if the problem persists post- filter swap?
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Power Steering Intermittent ???? Reply with quote

Hey FW, Just a tip to handle that reservoir carefully. I broke one of the nozzles off my original one, and the top is notoriously difficult to take off. It is threaded but hard to get a grip on. I emptied mine and then flipped it upside down and put the cap in a vice, then was able to apply better pressure with both hands to turn the bottom off. Make sure you turn the correct way with it upside down. BTDT.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chewbacca88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Power Steering Intermittent ???? Reply with quote

Hey thanks for that. I just rebuilt my PS system from behind the gas tank including a new pump. I got new metal lines made as well as new hoses from the pump. Didn't think to replace the filter. Ordering one now.
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 91 Power Steering Intermittent ???? Reply with quote

Update: After replacing the filter, we determined the intermittent steering was due to the steering coupler between the rack and column binding up and rusting. After freeing it up and lubing it, I look to have normal steering function again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: