Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New '57 Basketcase Ghia
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

Picked it up from my buddy. All taken apart but I spent a few hours putting it together to rollll out. Cognac!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Doors, decklid, hood on..

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

Get that compressor out of your garage. Build an enclosed area for it outside of where you will be working.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Get that compressor out of your garage. Build an enclosed area for it outside of where you will be working.

Oh! This is not my garage, this is where I bought the Ghia. Also bought the compressor (really!)
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

Nice project to start, looking forward to see the next steps! At leadt you start with less rust than I am Embarassed Laughing

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks! I have not done much to it but at least it's something. It is super solid except that front left corner, otherwise I see no other rust spots. It will need all the parts sorted out, cleaned and put back.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

Hopefully the deal included boxes and boxes of parts to go with that nice body shell, ...

... or at least a box of money with which to buy all the missing parts!

It would be even better if it included a Reassembly Manual and plenty of "Before" photographs which document where the part goes, how any subparts fit together, and which fasteners go where. Wink

Nice score - Best of Luck with your new project!
I can't wait to see plenty of new pictures of another Cognac Karmann Ghia brought back from the dead.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

I can't wait to see plenty of new pictures of another Cognac Karmann Ghia brought back from the dead.

With a lovely set of Luis's reproduction front rubber mats. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

With a lovely set of Luis's reproduction front rubber mats. Smile

Definitely.....should be THE FIRST REQUIREMENT of every restoration going forward!!

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Is this a safety or space concern? Mine is currently in my garage as well.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Is this a safety or space concern? Mine is currently in my garage as well.

-----
Emil

I'm curious too about that.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

Compressors IMO are 100% safe. I think it's more of a space concern as the garage is a bit tight. I am helping my buddy clean it up so he can work on his bus.

And what are these cool mats people are talking about?? Smile

Braukuche; how is your lowlight coming along?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
Compressors IMO are 100% safe. I think it's more of a space concern as the garage is a bit tight. I am helping my buddy clean it up so he can work on his bus.

Braukuche; how is your lowlight coming along?

Thanks for asking.
I'm pretty much done, waiting on the front seats and door panels.
I also am struggling with that damn C channel trim. I'm about to toss it in the trash and look for some NOS Hawaiian style seals.
I'll post pictures soon.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
Compressors IMO are 100% safe.

Water condenses inside and over time corrodes the inner wall. The expansion and contraction of air stretches the metal case gradually work hardening the material till the moment a hairline crack appears,usually internally and unseen. Then within a short time of that there is a percussive failure and shrapnel thrown in all directions. Anyone in the way of that is usually seriously injured.

Nope. not 100% safe.
Nicholas
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:

Well pleased you asked. Smile These are a reproduction of the full set of bulkhead, tunnel, sill and floor mats with which your '57 would have left the factory. Luis Jimenez, with support from many people in the hobby have made the seemingly impossible a reality.

It's a long story...nearly 15 years on The Samba...and 4 years active planning and execution by Luis but you'll find the mats now available and in the proper colour for your Cognac Coupe: https://lowlightwerks.com/

...and if you have a few hours to spare, how it all came about. Smile https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155849

This is my grey set...

Last edited by John Moxon on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
dawerks wrote:
Compressors IMO are 100% safe.

Water condenses inside and over time corrodes the inner wall. The expansion and contraction of air stretches the metal case gradually work hardening the material till the moment a hairline crack appears,usually internally and unseen. Then within a short time of that there is a percussive failure and shrapnel thrown in all directions. Anyone in the way of that is usually seriously injured.

Nope. not 100% safe.
Nicholas

Agreed, that's why it's imperative that you drain the condensation from the tank daily, and make visual inspections of the tank. I would be wary of any tank over 10 or so years old. If you see a pinhole of rust start, shut it down and have it tested. Tanks should be AMSE rated (in the US). Many states in the US inspect commercial tanks annually.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
dawerks wrote:

Well pleased you asked. Smile These are a reproduction of the full set of bulkhead, tunnel, sill and floor mats with which your '57 would have left the factory. Luis Jimenez, with support from many people in the hobby have made the seemingly impossible a reality.

It's a long story...nearly 15 years on The Samba...and 4 years active planning and execution by Luis but you'll find the mats now available and in the proper colour for your Cognac Coupe: https://lowlightwerks.com/

...and if you have a few hours to spare, how it all came about. Smile https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155849

This is my grey set...

... and if you think ^^^ that ^^^ looks good, you should see how much better it would look without distractions like the steerng wheel being left sitting off at some odd angle and a keyring bearing some large pece of electroncs that's obviously not connected with the Karmann Ghia hanging off of the igntion key. Very Happy

Wink
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

... and if you think ^^^ that ^^^ looks good, you should see how much better it would look without distractions like the steerng wheel being left sitting off at some odd angle and a keyring bearing some large pece of electroncs that's obviously not connected with the Karmann Ghia hanging off of the igntion key. Very Happy

Wink

When you get to my age you'll need a powered garage door too. Rolling Eyes
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

plus some compressors are just plain noisey.
Great Ghia!
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking...quietly working away then that thing suddenly kicks in...BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: New '57 Basketcase Ghia Reply with quote

Got'er moved and got some wheels. Lining up body and paint but for now...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: