Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine turns over but just backfires and won't start up.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MC _courtesy_flush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Engine turns over but just backfires and won't start up. Reply with quote

So I just put my engine back in after replacing the head gaskets and piston rings and all that jazz. When I went to start the engine it turned over but just backfired and won't start. I figured it was something simple like distributor or crossed wires but nope. Checked the whole engine at least two dozen times and only found a loose vacuum line on the first look. From looking through the bentley it seems like the idle stabilizer could be the problem but I can't find one. It's an '88 rwd, it has a 2.1 but the guy I bought it from said it originally had a 1.9. Maybe that's why I cant find this idle stabilizer. I'm probably just being a dumbass but I've searched the web, studied my Bentley and tinkered with my van for a day and a half. If anybody could help me out that would be great, and increase my life quality by at least 90%.

Shaun
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine turns over but just backfires and won't start up. Reply with quote

MC _courtesy_flush wrote:
...I figured it was something simple like distributor or crossed wires but nope...

That is sure what it sounds like.

I know you checked but you might verify again - if the distributor is 180° out things (timing mark, etc) can still look okay. The key is to be sure you are checking the rotor position when #1 is coming up to TDC on a compression stroke.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine turns over but just backfires and won't start up. Reply with quote

Can you put a timing light on it and have someone crank it over while you check for the timing mark? Sounds like you have the ignition timing off enough that it's backfiring though the intake.

What year van? That will tell us what engine actually came in the van new. Some pictures would help too. If you have a mix breed, that will complicate it some, but assuming it ran fine before you took it apart, you probably missed something going back together that is easily resolved.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine turns over but just backfires and won't start up. Reply with quote

also, make sure your pushrods are setting dead center in the lifters and tell us how you set the lifter preload...

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine turns over but just backfires and won't start up. Reply with quote

^^ I came so close to posting what Dan did and questioned my relative rookie knowledge base...
MC _courtesy_flush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine turns over but just backfires and won't start up. Reply with quote

Ok you figured it out for me. I forgot to tighten my rocker arms down the other day. Haha I knew it was dumbass related. I'm super happy to have this figured out. Thanks dude you the man.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: