Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seamus-77 westy resto
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

So after poking around on Samba with a few posts here and there, I decided it was time to do two things.

1: name my bus and

2: create a single thread to update restoration

So while most rigs are named after women, I decided this one should be called Seamus (boy) instead. Several reasons come to mind. First being that the origin for the name means “supplanter”. Which is defined as supercede and replace. Fitting enough as this bus replaced my original 76 when it died. More to share about that one soon as i will be visiting it at its resting place. Second reason is that due to my irish mutt heritage, i just like the sound of it, and since i never had a son to name, then so be it. Third is a reference to a great song by Pink Floyd. Off the Meddle album there is a line that says, “ i was in the kitchen, seamus thats the dog was outside.” Since ive always had dogs, most of who were just as much mutts as me, i thought this fitting as well.

I also realized after searching and reading others projects i.e.; echebus, wildidea, notchboy, imaddicted, etal, how it is nice to page through and chronographically see the progress on each project. While im not gonna come close to the level of finish and quality of some of these fine projects, I figure I might as well post anyways.

I am re-newed to this passion after being away for almost twenty years and look forward to any and all advice, criticism (ive got thick skin), and support from you all. Im learning to search more before asking, so apologize ahead of time if I ask whats obviously already been documented in here somewhere else.

Its apparant that everyone likes pics, so im gonna start putting some up. Some of these have been in other posts of mine, but im gonna concentrate on keeping them all here going forward. Cheers!

Waiting for dry ground
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

M-code

Pax seat just done. Working on drivers now

As you can see from the interior he’s kind of a bastard layout. Notchboy helped me figure out that ive got a standard Berlin interior but with a deluxe cooktop and snack table. Another mutt. Im seeing a pattern here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Man, love the house! I want to thank you for posting up cuz it dragged me outta the attic and into being a bit more social. You being basically in my hometown is very cool and motivating. Saw you post in the Vacatiionland FB page too:).

The weather is going to break. I know it feels like it’s not March 25th, instead January 84th, but we both will be firmly in mud season soon, then it is ON!
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Man, love the house! I want to thank you for posting up cuz it dragged me outta the attic and into being a bit more social. You being basically in my hometown is very cool and motivating. Saw you post in the Vacatiionland FB page too:).

The weather is going to break. I know it feels like it’s not March 25th, instead January 84th, but we both will be firmly in mud season soon, then it is ON!

House is in need of attention as well. Couple years overdue for restain. Am using weather as an excuse for now, but as you say, it will eventually get better and then its no longer an excuse. I also couldnt pass up on 2 days of 18” powder skiing. Best days of the year. We are in pre-mud season here. Private dirt road that has about a foot of seasonal snowpack on it that is melting,rutting, and then refreezing each night. Im sure you know the drill. I have enough trouble hammering my 320,000 mile tacoma through it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Nice Bus, well named ( Floyd's best album, part 1 of Echoes in the Live at Pompie docu-drama just kills it every time ). Set up a screen inside and do lazer Floyd tours around New England.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Nice Bus, well named ( Floyd's best album, part 1 of Echoes in the Live at Pompie docu-drama just kills it every time ). Set up a screen inside and do lazer Floyd tours around New England.

Yeah man, its the colorrszzzz.....sorry, drifted away for a moment. One of the coolest things I saw on Dead tour years ago was a “disco bus”. Thats right,...disco. Bunch of wacked out hippies, myself included, worn out from hours of space and jamz, bopping around to disco in the lot after the show. Was complete with blacklighting inside and a mirror ball hanging out over the side door.

Pompeii- Seamus performance!
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Glad to see another local bus around here. Minus a few stubborn snow banks, all the snow's gone from the Mass south Coast. They're talking high 60's for this weekend so the good weather's comin!
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Question for those who have dyed their curtains. The entire set was in great condition except for the two across the back window.

The whited areas are much more noticeable in person, and im not anal about it. They would be tied up and hidden 95% of the time anyways.

Read up and understand these need to be dyed by “ boiling” them in a dye solution. This proccess does not bother me one bit and am eager to give it a try, but obviously dont want to destroy these two pieces by mistake. Found this stuff that looks like a good match.

Anyone have any experience with doing this and/or a different dye? Open to any suggestions. Also dont want to end up dying these darker than they already are. Just get the white areas turned back to yellow. Actually found that a yellow highlighter works well. Relax, not gonna do that!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

The weateher is finally breaking today up north! Started out about 10*f this morn, but was a delightful 40ish by 2 pm. Decided that today was a good day to move Seamus out of the mud and down to solid ground.

I posted the first of two seat recovers earlier this week, and just finished the other today. This one had much less rust throughout the frame, and so, was able to reuse the original hooks to anchor the covers.

Here are the pieces broken down, after blasting, spring repairs, and paint.

Went with BD pads and covers as did the other seat. Not having experience with sewfine or pro shop redo, I have mixed feelings about the BD stuff.
I think their covers look brilliant, but did not enjoy working with the horse/coco/whatever pads. Two sets were very different in size and make up. One would be to short to get over the frame and the other would be too long and therefore too much material hanging over. The holes for headrest in the pads were miles away from where they should have been and therefore required alot of recutting to locate. This in itself wasnt too difficult, but after cutting one of them, it left almost no material to cover over the backside of the frame, and once cover was pulled down, looked off.

All in all im ok with the results. Just would have thought for the price of pads and covers, it would have layed up better. The frames and springs are pretty standard, so other than my ability, cant really blame it on each seat being different from the next.

A bit fresher than what I found for sure!

The last pic is just for my satisfaction. They will be bagged and put up until he is ready for the road. I can just imagine sitting on one of them, with a screwdriver in my pocket, before i even drive it up the road! Shocked

Dogs will have their chance to shed all over them,...just not yet.

In one of the pics you can see the pedastal covers. Got them from BD as well, but noticed the WW logo on them. These are the wrap around backside pedastal pieces. Did these originally go over foam, as do the front side pieces?
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

The wrap around covers did not have foam under them, just under the seats. Be careful too because no reproduction wrap correctly covers the late bay pedestals. There's always an exposed area behind the seats.

There's a couple of good pictures in here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
The wrap around covers did not have foam under them, just under the seats. Be careful too because no reproduction wrap correctly covers the late bay pedestals. There's always an exposed area behind the seats.

The parts behind the seats on the top of mine were in decent shape when I took them off. Once I can get to my bus (I still have snow up to the headlights Sad ) I can take a look, if you are needing it. Think the only piece that was FUBAR or missing on mine is the vertical piece that goes on the backside of the passenger pedestal. I think. I'm not putting back on so if you need any or just need for pattern, let me know.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:

Thanks for the foam answer. Expected as much, but wanted someone else to confirm. While I have been reading about the lack of coverage for late bay pedastal backs, I pleasantly found these from BD. They have a WW logo on them, but as you can see, they not only have full coverage vertically, they wrap all the way around the front and have a flap to cover the jack storage area below front inboard of seat.

The only piece that remains uncovered is the small strip, inboard top of pedastal. Since i ordered a left and right side mat, and drivers side will not need rear coverage ( because of bulkhead), i intend to cut out some strips from that piece for both drivers and pax strips.

I also like that the new ones come with the rib and material that goes over the top onto flat section. Should look sharp when done. This is another job that will wait till last to avoid tearing it up.

Addicted: appreciate the offer, but I think these will work well. Got sick off standing in snow/mud, so up to pad he went. So nice to work right out of garage on hard ground.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

On another note, have found the best match i could for exterior and interior laminates, and a friend in town who owns a custom cabinet shop has sourced me some furniture grade birch plywood to start cutting out cabinets.

I may have mentioned before that as I dismantle, clean, and repair my Berlin interior, I intend to use the old pieces to trace and cut out new pieces and build a complete interior cabinet package along with new laminates.

Not sure what I intend to do with them when done. I have a few other campers hiding in the woods and they maybe go in one of those some day, or maybe i replace these someday, or maybe somebody needs a complete set someday. Not like you can just order a complete camper cabinetry layout, .....or has someone already done this?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Wow the top of your main cabinet has some monkey business going on? Do you still have the hinges for the top?

Some other examples from eche_bus.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

I now officially hate eche-bus!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Wow the top of your main cabinet has some monkey business going on? Do you still have the hinges for the top?

What is thing hinges you speak about? Isnt that what the headrest does?
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Just noticed I got something eche never had.

Warning label about cooking devices not to be used for heating!

Thats right. I got that!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Just noticed I got something eche never had.

Warning label about cooking devices not to be used for heating!

Thats right. I got that!

See more proof it's from Canada - those guys need the warning label or they might fire, burn, boom, hand face. Wink Laughing

So here is what a standard cabinet looks like.

And this is what the hinge looks like.

Maybe someone altered your standard cabinet. Take some better pics before I pontificate. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:

WW now makes a late bay pedestal cover.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211867765B
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Update on cabinetry rehab. Finally picked up a couple 5’ x 5’ sheets of 5/8” (.600”) cabinet grade plywood from local cabinetmaker friend. Not cheap but will stay structural and dimensional stable due to multiple layers of mdf between plys. The actual dimension of .600” is perfect as laminates will be about .028- .039 depending on what finish i choose. The og pieces are .660” thick with a paper thin laminate on the insides. I am choosing a thicker interior laminate for durability and to achieve desired finish thickness.

Used all the old pieces as templates and cut, and sanded to as close to original size and shape as possible. Pulled the old homemade drum sander that hasnt seen any work in years. Perfect for cleaning up edges and especially the interior edges of doorframe and large facesheet with the three storage areas.

Here is the complete set. Now that i have these all cut and ready for laminates, the og panels can be reassembled. The new set will be much nicer than what I am putting back in bus now, but will be set aside for future project.

When it comes to laminate choice, I searched out the colonial cherry that alot of people have mentioned, but it was mentioned years ago, and is no longer available. Found a couple close matches and ordered several samples in various finishes. The finish selected makes a drastic difference in matchup. A matte vs. soft grain, vs. linearity makes a noticeable difference in the grain character and apperance. Below is my sample piece from top of wardrobe. It has been my go -to store piece since its so small and easy to use.

So far the best i could find is:

Wilsonart Amber cherry 7919k

Formica Select cherry 7759

Awaiting samples of these base colors in several different finishes.

Decided to go with wilsonart zebrawood for the interior face panels. Close match and grain.

The og interior divider panel and top panel are thinner at .390” and when I sanded to clean up, the paper thin veneer came right off. My og ones just got stained and will go back. The new ones wll get planned down to proper finish thickness and stained as well. No need to laminate these as they are interior and not as noticeable. Same goes for the three shelf pieces. The new will be made with luan and stained.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Ah. I remember going down the rabbit hole. Seems like yesterday. Laughing Take your time. There are plenty of things Id do differently if I had known then. Biggest was take my time.

It will blow your mind when done whatever color choice you make. Cant wait to see the progress...

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: