Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seamus-77 westy resto
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Nice, I've got glass suction cups for when that windshield needs to come out. Did you see any windshields at Reggie's? That one looks a little fogged around the edges and the new ones, from what I hear, have fitting issues. I've got 4 hubcaps I can donate to the cause if they are missing.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Will indeed need a new windshield but my cousin owns a glass company in town, so can probably get a good deal on one from him. Will check on caps. Probably need them, so hang on to for now. Just set his tent up. Not in too bad of shape. He got it for $400 more when he bought bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The guy that sold him his bus just hit me up and said he has another tent available and in better shape than this one. Guess im gonna have me a tent for Seamus too.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Nice tent brother! And to have a lead on anther is awesome.

Here is how you attach the top straps. It will help prevent the clips and the rubber band from breaking.

Also, drop a line in here!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

First, Jason refinishes his cabinets in the kitchen, now he's putting up tents in the dining room. What's next, yellow buckets in the bathroom?

Jay, nice score, that tent looks sweet. Good luck on getting the other one!!
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Notch- thanks for that tip. Makes sense as I thought there was too much slack and it would be an easy place for water to pool up. Just a coincidence that the plastic clips fit perfectly over the tubes. Talked to the guy with the other one and he claims its better than this one and im getting it for $400 tomorrow.

He has a brand new, never used, buddy box, for a sage green interior for $200. No chips, cushion like new, but......no pail. Sad

I will pass on that.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
First, Jason refinishes his cabinets in the kitchen, now he's putting up tents in the dining room. What's next, yellow buckets in the bathroom?

Jay, nice score, that tent looks sweet. Good luck on getting the other one!!

Excuse me sir! I also rebuild motors in the kitchen and clean parts in the dish washer. Rolling Eyes

The "PoO pAIl" is a nickname. Its technical use is for Wobbly Pops and Road Sodahs. Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

I dig this thread and what’s happening with you and your bus. I remember you towing it out of the snow thinking about maybe resurrecting the beast and now it’s seems it’s solidly taking over! It’s so cool to see. From here it looks like your having a blast and making smiles all around.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
I dig this thread and what’s happening with you and your bus. I remember you towing it out of the snow thinking about maybe resurrecting the beast and now it’s seems it’s solidly taking over! It’s so cool to see. From here it looks like your having a blast and making smiles all around.

Yes sir I am smiling on every turn. Honestly didnt think I would get the results I was hoping for this early spring. Maybe I was doubting my ability to resurrect or the bus’s ability to comply with my requests. Either way its been alot of fun zipping around town this summer. Actually looking forward to parking it for the winter as im excited to tear into the front end.

Ive said it before but its worth repeating that this site has just been amazing. Wether its the technical or personal support, the information ive gathered and used has been extremely helpful, and the feedback has been equally positive.

Thanks for chiming in and following along. Cheers.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Just bought that other tent for $500. Took a quick look at it and then heaved into my truck. No time to cheer as im late for airport to fly out to Tahoe. Will set up this weekend when I get home. Heres a preview of it, neatly stowed in my truck.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

This post has zero to do with my bus, but thought I would share my travels this week anyways. Just got back to NH tonight from Lake Tahoe. Flew NH to Vegas wed night, spent night in terminal and then an early departure from Vegas to Reno Thursday morning. Rented a car and drove from Reno to Incline Village across Mt Rose Highway. Those of you in the area know well what a spectacular drive that is. Would not want to climb it up or descend down in a bus.

This was purely coincidence that I got this for a rental car.

My kids jeep had a locked up front caliper and caused the brakes to go metal to metal. Shop she took it to called me last week with a quote of $1200 to fix. About punched the guy right through the phone. Here is a 19 year old college girl walking in asking for help with her rig, and, “oh bye the way can you call my dad and tell him what you find.”

Ended up doing C.P.R. On the front and just because I was there and they were a little worn, threw a set of pads on the rear. All in the parts cost me $250 and 2 hours time, in a parking lot, with hand tools I flew out there with.

Spent the day cruising around the lake and enjoying many pints. ( made the kid do the driving so pops could enjoy the view and brew). Ended up in Truckee for a streetside festival. Great area and nice people everywhere. Never even saw one air-cooled bus about. Maybe a vanagon or two and a shitload of mega buck, loaded to the hilt with gear, sprinters. I must have seen 50 in one day. This is what the new vanlife has become. These rigs must go for $50k and with the $5k bikes and boats hanging off them, must add up to $100k all in. A far cry from my vanlife days in the 76 westy back in the early 90’s. We looked and were the broke ass, smelly hippie kids that you would expect to be dragging a rusty, primer painted, oil dripping bus, all around the country. Back then it wasnt vanlife, it was van-homeless. Made enough money in a town to gas up and go till we ran out of money again.

Anyways, got drunk, got a flight back from Reno first thing this morning, and just dragged in the door. Mission accomplished. Cheap, quick fix, and a day with daughter and her crew. Not vanlife but more like jetlife.

Tomorrow the new tent aquisition gets set up and properly assessed.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Good on you dad. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Yup, good job, Dad Smile. This is the stuff they remember and bring to their family when they have one.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

I hate shops. I recently was quoted $1200 for ball joints on my F150. 650 in labor and 550 in parts. I can get top of the line ball joints online for $200 total... already pressed in! The whole damn controls arms! ... and $650 for labor? well, that closer to realistic. 6 hours for a control arms on a salty 03 f150. A little overpriced in my opinion, but not crazy. But the parts cost is laughable.

Good job helping out your daughter. I hate when places try to take advantage of people who just aren't educated on the topic.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

The one thing she has learned, is to call dad when not sure about something. All though she will never admit it, or actually use my advice, she will still think to ask.

If the quote had come back around $700, I would have said, “fix it”. In the end I probably spent close to $700 and several days of my time, but it was the principal of the situation that pissed me off.

Cheers to the guys at Napa in Incline Village, Brian and Anthony. Not only did they have every piece I asked for waiting there for me, but took back each item I didnt use with no arguement or restock fee. Even though most items were shipped into their location. On top of that, they were kind enough to let me wash up in their bathroom and gunk off up to my elbows.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Usually the bus is in the garage overnight. Left it out last night and we had a typical evening down to 40*F. When I went to start this morning, he cranked quite a while before starting. By quite a while I mean about 10 seconds. Usually hits about 4-5 secs. I had my CSV cleaned and tested by Cruizin Performance before install. I also replaced TS II when everything was reassembled. I wont be running into the winter, but these are typical seasonal temps around here, so if im out somewhere overnight, its gonna crank awhile.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Swapped the drag link out of newly aquired parts rig. Seamus’s steering was wandering about a 1/2 a wheel. Yes, I mean a 1/2 of steering wheel before any input. Stupid yes, but drove around all summer like that. Drag link was toast on both ends. Noticeable improvement as im now at a 1/4 wheel of play. The relay pin needs to be replaced, but that will get done this winter when front beam is overhauled.

Noticed something new as i was driving today. When in fourth I tend to drive with my hand on the shift lever as its a comfortable spot with my arm resting on center box. Im not pulling down or anything, just letting my hand float on the 8 ball knob I have on it. Noticed that as long as im under power, everything is nice and smooth. If I get off the gas, I can feel a pulsing through the shift lever. Engine is smooth, no backfire or any problem, and the pulsing is subtle, but there. As soon as I come back into throttle, all good again. Any thoughts or concerns?

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Colin will say resting your hand on the shifter is bad, but it’s hard not to. Off the throttle as in engine braking or maintaining speed?

I can confirm the 1/2 turn wheel play, that shit was BAD.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Out of the throttle is probably more accurate. As long as engine (or trans), is pulling, everything smooth. When relaxed on gas, or lifting off gas, feel the pulse.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Put another 300 miles on ole Seamus last night. My Tahoe based daughter flew home to go with dad to a concert on his 50th birthday yesterday.

Because the steering was improved, and it was a beautiful day, and she has never been for a ride in it, we decided to run Seamus from Mt Washington NH area, over to the Portland Theater to see Gov’t Mule.

The boys didnt disappoint as usual, and put on a great show. Her first time seeing, and exposed to them, and they now have a new fan.

Still giggling at how well this rig has performed all summer. We ran state backroad highways over and back, and stayed right around 45-60 for most of it. Having a “manageable” steering wheel now, is like driving a new car. Well maybe not, but you can imagine the comfort level driving on winding roads now. Going over in the afternoon was comfortable, but quite chilly on the ride back. Never hooked up any heat, and it was down about 35* on the ride back. The only good part of that temp, is all that nice cool air for Seamus to eat. Ran like a top over and back.

Never considered hooking up any heat, but I figure I got another month of perfect weather and foliage coming up, so maybe. Or maybe just time to pull out the wool socks and flannel.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Put another 300 miles on ole Seamus last night. My Tahoe based daughter flew home to go with dad to a concert on his 50th birthday yesterday.

Nice! Love Gov't Mule.
I have a Boulder, CO based daughter and it's a blast going to shows with her at Red Rocks.
Please tell me where you got your bus t-shirt, I need one of those!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: