Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!!
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

Hey all
my family and I were driving down the 10 in California towards Arizona when we came to an exit called Rice rd at Desert Center. My VWeyes are always on and I looked to the North side of the road and there was a vast graveyard of old cars and I know I spotted a couple VWs. So I searched on Google Maps and I can definitely spot a couple, one seems to resemble a split window bug. Does anyone live in this area and know of the place I am speaking of??
We will be driving back through that way on the way home and if I can convince the family maybe Ill stop.
Hate to see em wasting away out there.
1984 Jetta (white)
1963 type 1 (turkis)
1966 Type2 11 window
2008 Frontier king cab 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

I have seen it when I'm on the 10 but haven't gotten off and checked it out in many years.
I don't remember seeing any VWs there but maybe that has changed.

There are a couple VWs in the Used Car lot South of the Freeway in Quartzite, by the Love's gas station
There was a yellow Single Cab there for a long time.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

well Everett sadly I was in able on my way back through to stop. And it’s weird traveling west you can barely see anything over there, not that the east bound is any higher. But I’m pretty certain I saw one all by itself.
1984 Jetta (white)
1963 type 1 (turkis)
1966 Type2 11 window
2008 Frontier king cab 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

Now that you've posted this lead, you may want to make sure for yourself SOON, if you want that split.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

Is it true that years ago they planted the palm trees in formation at Desert Center to guide in the aliens in their landings?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Is it true that years ago they planted the palm trees in formation at Desert Center to guide in the aliens in their landings?
Or just the truckers...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Logically, I don't see why that would be needed

I doubt even a modern plane would need that, let alone something capable of traveling here from outer space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

if its the place i think it is, it has a BUNCH of cars there, all of them are forsale. i stopped there once on my way back from cali, there was a yellow i think 59 or 60 single cab, my buddy found it online and it was really steep!
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Or maybe the "aliens" just hid among the trees to avoid detection. Remember that the palm trees were planted back in the pre-wall days.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

OvalinAz wrote:
if its the place i think it is, it has a BUNCH of cars there, all of them are forsale. i stopped there once on my way back from cali, there was a yellow i think 59 or 60 single cab, my buddy found it online and it was really steep!

That sounds like the place in Quartzite by the Love's gas station.
They had a yellow Single Cab for a long time.
I don't know if it finally sold.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7478267,-115.35953...312!8i6656

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
OvalinAz wrote:

that's the place. single cab was cool, I think the ad said it had a Corvair motor in it
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

OvalinAz wrote:
EverettB wrote:
OvalinAz wrote:

that's the place. single cab was cool, I think the ad said it had a Corvair motor in it

Wacky, I did not see that info.

I found a couple pics I posted in 2014
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

pdaddy68 wrote:
Hey all
my family and I were driving down the 10 in California towards Arizona when we came to an exit called Rice rd at Desert Center. My VWeyes are always on and I looked to the North side of the road and there was a vast graveyard of old cars and I know I spotted a couple VWs. So I searched on Google Maps and I can definitely spot a couple, one seems to resemble a split window bug.

https://goo.gl/maps/gkU97hd6bqS2 <---- click on the Google Street View link to see Rice Rd heading north as seen from the westbound I-10. But I don't see any vast collection of cars.

You can change the location of the street view by moving the person icon in the map at the lower left corner of the screen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jmiddle204
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

I made this drive last week and remembered this thread. I pulled off I-10 to look. I could only see one VW from the adjacent road.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

Cool, get it! LOL

I went that way in June in my Bus but I was lazy and it was kinda hot so I didn't want to cruise around to look since I couldn't see anything from the highway.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody close to Desert Center CA, car grave yard alert!!! Reply with quote

Looks to be a yellow beetle in the far distance too

Edit: zoomed again, maybe not
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: