Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my 2110 build
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: my 2110 build Reply with quote

ok guys.well here it is.i bought a used case on samba.a few months ago.It was full flowed already and line bored 1 time, 20 over.The case came with a brand new cam plug in the package,a new box of appropriate crank bearings (silverline),and a 1 1/2 quart extra bolt on oil pan.It needed to be clearanced for the 82mm crank and bored and decked for the 90.5,s...I asked around a little where to do it.I am in Massachusetts upper north east coast(nobody around here to do it)...I went with joe,s recommendation (joescoolcustoms) and sent it out to a place in West virginia.Keiths auto parts..now I spent about $220 bucks for the case on samba,and another 50 for me to ship it to wv .I spent another $235 bucks for all machine work and to be shipped back.(amazing machine prices in my opinion)..so $505 was the total..I think keiths did an amazing job and have Excellent machining prices but that's my opinion..I am only saying prices because I have a big family and needed to try to budget this stuff accordingly.I don't think I needed to spend 1000 bucks on a new case.thats my opinion.Maybe it will blow up in a week,maybe it will last 10 years,time will tell..In the meantime I will have fun with it!!..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 62kellison on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

Next I went with an 82mm crank from Car craft..I went with the 82mm 4340 Chevy journal Crank.I went with chevy journal because I thought I was going to clearance the case myself and wanted to make it easier.I was giving myself extra room in the case using the smaller chevy journal on the connecting rod.It don't matter if u would of used a scat crank or a Cb crank.I chose to use carcraft once again due to a budget and this is not a race car doing 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile runs..I was surprised to receive an Empi crank.As u can see by the sticker on the box.Surprised only because everyone wants a lot more than what I paid thru carcraft...crank was $209 bucks plus another 40 for shipping.So $249 bucks to my door.I did call carcraft and voice my concerns about quality control etc,etc.I believe I spoke to Ron over there.I was completely satisfied in what he had to say about All there parts.So I bought it.Remember I am not promoting anyone,This is what I did.Experiences seem to vary along with opinions.I am trying to have fun without breaking the bank...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

I have been using a supplier recently for some parts called LJ air air cooled parts.they take awhile to get parts from and I always protect my money by using paypal.They have a lot of AA parts but a lot cheaper than what AA performance charges on their website.Maybe they buy from bulk from AA performance.Who knows.I just know I do a lot of shopping around.I also use Vdubstore,CB performance,Car craft,Ebay,etc.So I bought chevy I beam rods from LJ air cooled with the bolt upgrade to a ARP connecting rod bolts.I went with a straight crank and camshaft gear setup also..I also bought AA performance piston and cylinders on black Friday off of ebay 90.5,s for $138 bucks!!..Yes I could of used MAHLE but I chose not to..AA pistons are fine for ME...

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

Not to contradict my budget,but I paid up and bought some cb performance Panchito heads 40x35 valves with a dual spring upgrade.these were $750 to my door.After all I am chasing a 150hp mark on a daily driver of sorts...

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

case is together temporarily so I could take deck height measurements.It has to come back apart.i wanted to turn it over also to make sure nothing was rubbing.There was a spot that was rubbing so I took it all back apart and grinded the spot.The black x shows where I had to grind a little off.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

more pics coming tonight on the cam/oil pump stuff guys.A reminder that I am posting this here and not in the engine forum because I am sharing with you what I am doing to my fiberglass buggy if it interests you.None of this is to start arguments on what parts are superior,or what I should of done.I have been enjoying building this.I have been buying the parts over several months as the wallet allowed..Thanks Sean
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

Looks great Sean! Thanks for posting up your work for us!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

thanks Caleb,and that's a beautiful manx u have!! I been watching your build.Very very nice!!…..Sean..
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

I'll be following... Popcorn

The cost of building an engine yourself is like converting to metric..."Double it and add thirty!"
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

firebuggy,its your fault man lol..After seeing your 2110 it put me over the edge to build one...I been hoping to hear u got yours running smooth finally?!….Sean
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

I also wanted to let u guys know how I did this..The wonderful wife went out and got me 2 Enormous dry eraser boards from Walmart.I then wrote down every part and every nut and bolt that was needed for my 2110 build.(so I didn't lose track of what I was buying and needed).as I bought a part I checked it off the list.Now when it came time to build the crank and the case I wrote out a small list of everything I needed to make sure I didn't forget or overlook.I set the list right next to me when I was working on the crank and case.Things like make sure all the bearings had the bearing pin hole facing towards the rear of the engine,make sure not to forget the rubber o rings over the case studs inside the case,Make sure the front crank gear had the 2 dots facing the front of the case.Also the new I beam rods don't have bumps on them to tell which side is up.U must make sure the numbers on the rod are facing up according to each cylinder they go into.New arp bolt torque specs,making sure cam gear is set on cam properly(dot up cam lobe at the rear of cam down.make sure the cam bolts are not rubbing the backside of the oil pump.etc,etc.I am trying to make sure I did not overlook anything.I also have a stack of books that I have read front to back several times on hand.Gene berg,vw official service manual,tom Wilson vw rebuild book,Bill fishers how to hot rod vw engine book,etc,etc.and I have watched every video by EZGZ and Darrin on their vw channels on youtube. Smile
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

I hope this won't upset the Weber Purists too much, but before you say anything I bought a set of 40mm IDF's last year (dual setup) from the same Chinese supplier and they run their ass off in my 1600cc buggy!!..So I went ahead and bought the Big Dog 44mm IDF's from the same supplier for 83 bucks apiece!!…$166 for the pair...Like I said though, the proof is in the pudding. I got the 40mm IDF's last year and they run great!!..I will let u know if the 44,s turn out to be junk..
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
firebuggy,its your fault man lol..After seeing your 2110 it put me over the edge to build one...I been hoping to hear u got yours running smooth finally?!….Sean

Hopefully soon. Still snow and ice here. Just ordered some bigger jets, so that should solve the problem. Looking forward to watching your build. Very Happy

The cost of building an engine yourself is like converting to metric..."Double it and add thirty!"
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
44mm IDF's from the same supplier for 83 bucks apiece!!…$166 for the pair...

Can't argue with those prices.

I'd suggest taking the top off and making sure there's no crap inside.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrobuggy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

so who is the supplier that you are using for the carbs?

thxs
Mike
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

hey Glenn I will do that for sure.last year when I bought the 40mm idf,s I pulled them apart and was shocked that they were good to go and even the floats were set right!!..lol....Sean
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

syncrobuggy1,here is the supplier from ebay.same place I got my 40idf,s from last year...remember results could vary.but I been happy with them so far...they are out of New York,and they have good reviews from what I read.we will see about the 44,s.....Sean https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-44-IDF-with-Air-Horn-...1247!US!-1
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your build. I (and many others, I'm sure) live vicariously through you when I can't make it out to my own garage to work on my own engine build.

I'm very, very curious to see how your 44s work out - I was looking at the same set on Ebay for the last 6 months or so, but I couldn't quite pull the trigger on them. In the end, I paid around 3 times that for a low-mile set of Spanish 44IDFs.

62kellison wrote:
syncrobuggy1,here is the supplier from ebay.same place I got my 40idf,s from last year...remember results could vary.but I been happy with them so far...they are out of New York,and they have good reviews from what I read.we will see about the 44,s.....Sean https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-44-IDF-with-Air-Horn-...1247!US!-1

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

sorry its been so long guys.computer and phone wouldn't connect.i lost a few pics of cam placement,etc.I also got the block bolted together and found out my full flow oil gallery holes were tapped incorrectly.(someone didn't use an NPT tap) Evil or Very Mad .So, the block came back apart and I tapped all the oil gallerys correctly with the appropriate size NPT taps.lesson learned.NEVER assume the person u bought it from has made sure everything was done correctly.so here are some more pics that i salvaged off my phone.

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: my 2110 build Reply with quote

I got the pistons and cylinders installed.I am running the FK-8 camshaft.supposed to run best at 9 to 9.5 compresson according to the chart.(I am sure that's up for debate).I decided to run 9.3 compression.i will run 93 octane only from Cumberland farms up here.thats the highest pump gas here.I also ended up with 0.05775 deck height.thats under .060 Fine by me.I installed a 30mm oil pump and a Gene Berg pressure relief pump cover I got from a guy when I bought 5 Gene Berg books.I installed a cut to length cb performance oil pick up tube.I believe its a 1 1/2 quart oil sump pan(not positive) I also got when I purchased the block.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: