Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a Type 4 engine builder
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Clatter wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
. I have shitcanned a few good running T4's that I pulled for swaps.

Ya,
Funny how all late buses seem to need a motor,
but yet,
few will step up and make it happen.

Everyone expects to find them at Costco or something..

Last few i got for $20 ea.
Didn't have room for a third one on the way home and left it lying in the dirt.

No shortage of people to cry how hard good cores are to find,
how expensive it is to rebuild,
or how hard it is to do right..

Stripping down cores gets you all dirty i guess,
And nobody likes to get all dirty..

Man...I have been issuing this same rant for years!

The type 3 guys get it....the 914 guys get it...the 411/412 guys have been LIVING IT....since shortly after the cars left the factory.

Its been MY "perception"...that far too many bus guys keep saying/thinking that there are millions of everything still out there either NOS or good used ...waiting for a buyer.

No one conserves......meaning no one does a little more effort to rebuild an engine, transmission or brake assembly...before it grenades itself...in the belief that they can always pick up another one new or used...when they need it.

To put a little sharper point on that...don't drive on your brakes until the pads hit metal and destroy the rotors.

You can pinch a few less pennies and buy new pads for cheaper than rotors and bearings. Same for the master cylinder. Don't drive it for decades never looking inside until it becomes and un-rebuildable rust pile (and then bitch about the quality of master cylinders on the market)....and don't drive your smoking, leaking, ailing engine until it drops a valve or seizes up. Do the "needful" and tear it down a year early and save a no longer made crank and case.

Likewise...same thing on collecting a spare part for the inevitable day you will need it. Not saying one needs to hoard parts and have 10 of everything....but when you see a part for reasonable and have teh cash....get it. You may not see one again ........when you need it. Ray

Just means more buses will die, and the ones that run well will be worth more.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Clatter wrote:
. I have shitcanned a few good running T4's that I pulled for swaps.

Ya,
but yet,

Last few i got for $20 ea.
Didn't have room for a third one on the way home and left it lying in the dirt.

No shortage of people to cry how hard good cores are to find,
how expensive it is to rebuild,
or how hard it is to do right..

Stripping down cores gets you all dirty i guess,
And nobody likes to get all dirty..

Man...I have been issuing this same rant for years!

The type 3 guys get it....the 914 guys get it...the 411/412 guys have been LIVING IT....since shortly after the cars left the factory.

Its been MY "perception"...that far too many bus guys keep saying/thinking that there are millions of everything still out there either NOS or good used ...waiting for a buyer.

No one conserves......meaning no one does a little more effort to rebuild an engine, transmission or brake assembly...before it grenades itself...in the belief that they can always pick up another one new or used...when they need it.

To put a little sharper point on that...don't drive on your brakes until the pads hit metal and destroy the rotors.

You can pinch a few less pennies and buy new pads for cheaper than rotors and bearings. Same for the master cylinder. Don't drive it for decades never looking inside until it becomes and un-rebuildable rust pile (and then bitch about the quality of master cylinders on the market)....and don't drive your smoking, leaking, ailing engine until it drops a valve or seizes up. Do the "needful" and tear it down a year early and save a no longer made crank and case.

Likewise...same thing on collecting a spare part for the inevitable day you will need it. Not saying one needs to hoard parts and have 10 of everything....but when you see a part for reasonable and have teh cash....get it. You may not see one again ........when you need it. Ray

Just means more buses will die, and the ones that run well will be worth more.

That is spot on!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Ya,
but yet,

yup. you're picking up what i'm laying down. I always figured it was being in the north east with such short seasons that limit the interest. seems that the minute I speak about a T1 for sale my phone rings...

honestly I only kept enough stuff on hand to keep my shit running. I know some guys with massive collections of parts that think they will use it, or think they will cash out for big money....these are the same guys that refused to sell shit when the market was hot....I would say 5-8 years ago was a great time to sell off stuff for "top dollar" now...not too many are doing full out restorations...

anyway a few years ago I had a "Come to Jesus" moment and decided that I would much rather unclutter my life than store the shit I have. I may have a photo somewhere, but no joke....I had a 8 foot tall by 6 foot wide by 4 foot deep pile of boxes that I emptied out in my basement. all of it's contents worth keeping were consolidated into 1...yes 1 tote.

I have the "rule of 3" when I clean...if I moved it 3 times and it didn't find a home it goes in the garbage. it sucks to throw some of the stuff away, and I felt bad getting rid of the engines....they were pretty much turn key minus some FI stuff.

oh well...I tried. not interested in storing shit anymore. I have to laugh when I get hit with "do you know how valuable that is?!?!" well, make an offer. my patients for the general public has worn so thin lately I would rather toss it...just easier that way

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

I'm more and more tempted to load up a container of half-decent type 4 bits and ship it to NZ. Seen cores - just cores, no machine work, no nuthin' - listed for 800$ here...

Then again, my garage is full of shit too.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

Is it just me, or am I hearing the thoughts of a generation that grew up fixing things instead of this current throw away society we now are forced to operate in?

How many mechanical/electrical items built in the last 20 years, were built with the idea of being repairable or rebuildable?

My bus is 40 yrs old, daily driver is 20 yrs old, case 580 is 30 yrs old, still have an eight track stereo, and a stihl 029 thats been crushed by said hoe, and rebuilt.

Ive repaired my 10 year old dishwasher twice and now because its such a p.o.s., its getting replaced. Washing machines-junk, coffeemaker-junk, even tools are crap in the last 20 years.

Im broken too, but a little Irish whiskey and my dogs by my side, fix me right up.

Good morning!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

I was pissed at my 25 year old washing machine had the main tub gasket NLA and had to be dumped. Still managed to sell the motor and pump for a few bucks though.

Just fixed a electric mower for a $3 bridge rather than the $150 the hardware store wanted to “ look at it” , then ship it to someone to fix for $20
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

It's all doom and gloom but you can still pick up gems like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Volkswagen-type-4-en...SwrzBdkJby
capkirk45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

Willie Page in Chicago area sold me a great dual carb Type4 engine. Highly recommend.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

Skills, I never pegged you as a fellow Marie Kondo enthusiast... Razz

Lots of good comments here... I don’t buy the “I might need three of these” arguments. I have exactly enough good spares for my own engine that I could build a running turn key without leaving the house, and a couple bins that I take to the local swap meets.

We usually break even at the swap meet, if you consider entry, gas, and beer. But when people get my client’s beat up worn out parts for chump change, they feel like they’re getting a deal. Truth is, I’d give stuff away just to get it out of my garage; I wouldn’t bother with the swap if it wasn’t so much fun.

I’m building a “free” Type 4 this year actually, with 100% of the build being parts that we’re given to me by clients, friends, and family. I have the short block minus cam/lifters, the top end minus P/C’s, almost all the tin, and a complete duel carb AND L-Jet setup. I’ll raffle it off for charity or donate it to a car show raffle when I’m done. Anybody got parts they want to get rid of??

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

all my internals wouldnt be worthy of such a jenerous project. ido have bins of tins. which ones do you need. if I have them, i will bead blast, light prime, and send your way. i can powdercoat if you like as well.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

Lots of good comments here... I don’t buy the “I might need three of these” arguments. I have exactly enough good spares for my own engine that I could build a running turn key without leaving the house, and a couple bins that I take to the local swap meets.

We usually break even at the swap meet, if you consider entry, gas, and beer. But when people get my client’s beat up worn out parts for chump change, they feel like they’re getting a deal. Truth is, I’d give stuff away just to get it out of my garage; I wouldn’t bother with the swap if it wasn’t so much fun.

I’m building a “free” Type 4 this year actually, with 100% of the build being parts that we’re given to me by clients, friends, and family. I have the short block minus cam/lifters, the top end minus P/C’s, almost all the tin, and a complete duel carb AND L-Jet setup. I’ll raffle it off for charity or donate it to a car show raffle when I’m done. Anybody got parts they want to get rid of??

Robbie

Kind of.......but small parts...hardware....and especially relays and sensors.....I totally disagree. Get as many as you can from wrecks, test them and store them carefully.

It takes too little room and typically with age even with good storage....by my experience..
about 30% of the electronics have issues. And....these are the kind of parts I "give" to people when i see them in need.

Brake parts.....a full set of castings in a shoebox. That's all you need. Unique hard parts....one or two each (things like steering boxes, EFI ecu's, underdash fans, steering knuckle, control arm)......bearing in mind I drive a 412. None of that shit is available new or rebuilt and getting rarer by the day jn a scrapyard.

But big stuff....unless its actually rare....like type 4 four speed trans (get every one you can, find).....but things like body parts and glass....one....if that.

The biggest problem I see .....that i left behind in the early 2000's.....is the idea of "damn.... gotta save that one.....or.....damn....I'm bored I need a new or different project car" 🤣 Rolling Eyes ....and you see the huge list of hulks under these peoples signature line......most of which they never have the money for or ever get around to....and they store mountains of parts for decades and about half sell it all for scrap.

I made the decsion about what I like and got realistic about what it would cost to be done right.....and stuck with one VW aircooled vehicle outside of my daily driver cars. When mine is finally done it will have north or $35k in it. Yeah...every once in a while I see a deal on a type 3 or a bug that gets me thinking and drooling. But 5 minutes of adding up what I have spent and how long I have left to go on it.....combined with what the new aquistion would cost......and the simple reality check of what ai can afford time and money wise.....stops that train of thought.

I have never bought a single VW part.....rare or otherwise ....with any thought or intent to "resale" or its potential value. I buy what I need. Or know I WILL need...and especially if I know its ALREADY rare enough that I will never find one when the time comes. Ray
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Is it just me, or am I hearing the thoughts of a generation that grew up fixing things instead of this current throw away society we now are forced to operate in?

the way I see it...

I have barns, buildings, sheds and a hangar here on the property. I have zero interest in filling them full of useless shit so some "urban explorer" can make a video of them "finding" my shit....or even worse dropping dead and leaving to my family to deal with.

you know what I want them to find when they crawl thru the barbed wire? an empty building with a big "fuck you" banner hanging from the rafters Laughing

I have buildings that i'm paying tax on that the shit inside isn't worth the tax bill. i'd be better served cleaning them out and taking someone's money to store their shit in them.

yea, we are in a throw away society...should manufacturing come back here and prices go up I think you'll find more people willing to repair vs replace. we've choked on china's dick for so long in terms of cheap prices it didn't make economic sense to repair anything. add to that, the 200.00 TV you want to fix has the board filled with potting material...you'll kill the 300.00 board to fix the 2.48 diode

and it goes on and on....

yea, you may be hearing the thoughts of a guy that grew up fixing stuff. I have said it before and i'll say it again...I literally grew up dirt floor poor in a shit section of an industrial city...we lived in a shitty old row house that was originally built for mill workers and converted into apartments....

we had nothing. if I wanted something I dug it out of the trash and fixed it. that doesn't happen anymore it seems. any transaction I have done for parts/machinery etc has been done with folks at least 35+. I can't in recent memory think of selling anything to a 18 year old.

shit, I bought my first bus when I was 11...a 62 15 window for 150 bux. I cut a LOT of grass for that thing.

I have just gotten to the point where I can't save the world...like I said the closet hoarder in me hates to see stuff go, but I can't save it all.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

yea, we are in a throw away society...should manufacturing come back here and prices go up I think you'll find more people willing to repair vs replace. we've choked on china's dick for so long in terms of cheap prices it didn't make economic sense to repair anything.

Oh yeah....thats already happening....kinda.... Wink

Many companies are trying. Just over the last month....I am seeing quite of a bit of two critical things:

1. Companies who had their stuff "outsourced".....some of which was to US companies....and the company that made "X" product for them has gone out of business since March. And not wanting to source to China they are trying to bring it in house.

2. Companies who are bringing actual product manufacturing back from China. The political and sales based good will alone (if not pricing)...is a huge sales incentive right now. Being able to say..."yeah my prices are higher but I brought this back from China for the 'merican people...so buy my stuff"....is gold right now.

And...I am dealing with two new clients the past two weeks...both of which were getting their industrially printed goods...printed....for pennies per part....and they are crapping bricks and broken bottles when they see what equipment costs.
Yesterday I sat in on a meeting.....and customer says...."what????? this simple line will cost me $125k in equipment????? (which is really not that much).
Between the training and process set ups I am seeing some opportunity as are equipment manufacturers. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

Robbie

someone posted in a thread there was a place selling new Mahle PC's for a type 4. About $450 or something. Maybe you could order some there? Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

If that banner doesn’t say FU and try the kale, I’ll know you were murdered
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

Tons of products are being manufactured in the US again, for the ripe starting salary of TWENTY THREE cents per hour. That's $.023 for you bean counters.

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/products-made-by-prisoners-clothing-furniture-electronics

For more reading on American manufacturing:

https://www.alternet.org/2006/09/a_sweatshop_behind_bars/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Tons of products are being manufactured in the US again, for the ripe starting salary of TWENTY THREE cents per hour. That's $.023 for you bean counters.

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/products-made-by-prisoners-clothing-furniture-electronics

Therefore the moral is consider better choices.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

good. those fuckers are lucky I have no pull in the prison system. I think those who are found guilty of murder, rape, molestation or any other heinous crimes against humanity should be fucking parted out as organ donors to pay their debt to society.

the low level criminals can continue to make stuff for .23/hr and when they get out if they kill/murder/rape/molest they go straight to a gurney and get parted out as organ donors.

we put down rabid animals because they're dangerous. I see people the same way except we can part them out to save someone that isn't a shitbag.

now that's what I call recycling Very Happy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Type 4 engine builder Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

good. those fuckers are lucky I have no pull in the prison system. I think those who are found guilty of murder, rape, molestation or any other heinous crimes against humanity should be fucking parted out as organ donors to pay their debt to society.

the low level criminals can continue to make stuff for .23/hr and when they get out if they kill/murder/rape/molest they go straight to a gurney and get parted out as organ donors.

we put down rabid animals because they're dangerous. I see people the same way except we can part them out to save someone that isn't a shitbag.

now that's what I call recycling Very Happy

That's what happens in Wong Dong Province...to workers who become too weak to make any more shitty pistons...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: