Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch broke, found leak, now what?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

Hello fellow Sambans,

Please excuse my ignorance and if this has been answered elsewhere here. Hard to search the forum if you don’t really know what you are searching for, but I did try.

So, the other day, a very very cold day I can ad. I pressed the clutch on my parked 89 Vanagon, no resistance, first I thought clutch cable had snapped. I have since learned it is hydraulic. Can’t shift gears obviously. Found a leak in what seems to be the clutch pipe/cable entering transmission. Now what? Any guidance or clarification of the part that is leaking much appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Pastelweis on Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

The hydraulic component that actuates the clutch lever is called a "slave cylinder". If you pull back the rubber boot that is on the push rod end, you will likely see fluid, indicating a leak.

That slave cylinder can be replaced, and the system flushed and the air bled out.
If you do this yourself, you will need a special 13mm flare wrench on the pipe that connects to it. Using a regular open end 13 mm wrench will likely strip the nut.
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

Wow, thank you for the super fast response here! Yes that seems to be the problem. Would you be able to point me to a more detailed description on the process? Or would it be covered in the Bentley manual for example? I’ll search for sure. What new parts do I need? Do I look for a Transmission Slave Cylinder perhaps?

Thank you very much for the info!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9dO5nkDMIY&t=704s

This gives an idea of how it's done. The clutch slave cylinder should be available over your way I would think.

Don't get me wrong, if you are fairly handy with tools, and have a way of getting the van safely lifted and secured, you could do this job if motivated.

It also might be easier to farm it out.....
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

FYI - Typical flare wrenches...

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-pc-metric-double-end-flare-nut-wrench-set-61357.html

HF isn't top quality but will work and have affordable sets for a tool you may seldom use.

Whether you do this yourself or have it done... many (well, me anyway) feel it is best practice to replace the master at the same time you replace the slave.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

I'll cast a vote against replacing the master at the same time as the slave. I find that the service lives of the two are not at all related. The slave fails much more frequently than the master (I'd estimate at least 3 slaves typically fail before the master fails) and there is absolutely nothing about changing the slave that negatively affects the master. Swapping both might potentially save you a small amount of effort and brake fluid by the fact that IF the master fails before the slave, you will need to repeat the step of bleeding the system. Then again, probably it is more likely to cost you more effort in that it takes a little time to replace the master and certainly the cost of an unnecessary master cylinder is far more than the cost of the brake fluid when bleeding.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

Yeah...it's a much harsher environment back there for sure...much bigger temperature changes, moisture etc. Take a good look at the master though above the pedal.
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

Thanks all, much appreciated and helpful for a newbie. I’ll keep you posted on this great forum! Smile
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

Pastelweis, check your PMs for some info I think you'll find helpful.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

It's only two bolts and a hose to loosen however from your picture things look a little rusty. You may need to some extra patience because it looks like you may have a bit of a battle on your hands with the rust. Space is tight to get at the bolts so don't get bummed if you only get a 1/4 of turn from the wrench before you need to reposition it.

I've tried "German" quality slave cylinders and switched to cheap ones after the expensive German cylinder failed in about 2 years. Your experience may be different but it was enough for me to switch to the cheap route.

I'll second Waldo's vote of just replacing the slave and not doing the master. I would just replace the master when it starts to fail. Good luck!
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

Here's a couple choices for slave cylinders from popular Vanagon vendors:

GoWesty:
https://www.gowesty.com/product/clutch-flywheel/3603/clutch-slave-cylinder-?v=

Van Cafe:
https://www.vancafe.com/251721263-p/251721263.htm

Same brand and same price at either provider.

You'll probably want to replace the slave cylinder hose while you're at it. Should be available from wherever you get the cylinder.

If you can wait until delivery of the part, start squirting a little PB Blaster on it twice/day from now until the repair. Even if you have a shop do it for you, they'll thank you. Better than WD40.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blaster-PB-TS-Aerosol-Can-Penetrant-4-oz/38473143
You should be able to find this at any local auto parts store or Walmart.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

So greatful for all the valuable response here. I’ll let you know how it goes once I find the time to get greasy!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

Well, I guess I should say "what happens when you fill your brake reservoir?" (dont spill tho) Does anything leak down onto your floor by your foot pedals?

You may have more problems than just the slave cylinder. I agree that you DO have slave problem, but wow, the slave can leak a while and just be where you stopped looking for a bigger problem, or at least another problem...

Soak all that rusty stuff in a 50/50 solution of ATF and Acetone, at least over night before trying to break loose the couplings and bolts. I use a off the shelf WD40 finger trigger spray bottle, the kind that sits next to the gallon can of WD40 on the store shelf..

I usually get a few bottles of finger nail polish remover (its Acetone) from the beauty section at the Mart, and ATF is easy to come by as most cars now days are automatics.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

I had similar problem OP. In winter (cold) I would have no clutch and brake fluid on the ground.

I replaced my slave cylinder and all is good. I upgraded my line to stainless steel braided by Burley motorsports. If you don't do this upgrade then as mentioned earlier used a flare wrench when removing the brake line. OP- It looks like your brake line is very rusted. You may want to consider that upgrade

Also I used a "C"/"U" shaped wrench to help me get to one of the bolts. They're kinda hard to get to - but the whole job took me about 1-2 hours.

What's the order of bleeding the system again? is it slave, rear right, rear left, front right, front left?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I had similar problem OP. In winter (cold) I would have no clutch and brake fluid on the ground.

I replaced my slave cylinder and all is good. I upgraded my line to stainless steel braided by Burley motorsports. If you don't do this upgrade then as mentioned earlier used a flare wrench when removing the brake line. OP- It looks like your brake line is very rusted. You may want to consider that upgrade

Also I used a "C"/"U" shaped wrench to help me get to one of the bolts. They're kinda hard to get to - but the whole job took me about 1-2 hours.

What's the order of bleeding the system again? is it slave, rear right, rear left, front right, front left?
The clutch cylinder is on its own branch line and is restricted to the upper part of the reservoir so you don't need to bleed the brakes after replacing the clutch cylinder.

Of course, if you WANT to bleed the brakes: I go LR, RR, RF, LF
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Common practice is to work from the location farthest from the master - that is RR, LR, RF, LF.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Common practice is to work from the location farthest from the master - that is RR, LR, RF, LF.

Although the RR is farther from the master as the crow flies, the LR is farther as the lines run. IOW, I think Jake got it right.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

Where is the portioning valve?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

It's the thing curiously labeled boost

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch broke, found leak, now what? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Although the RR is farther from the master as the crow flies, the LR is farther as the lines run. IOW, I think Jake got it right.

That's interesting. I'll consider it next time I'm under one. Thanks.

Bentley 47.8 specifically states to bleed in the following order:

[shrugs]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: