Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Best" Cam for 1641cc
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: "Best" Cam for 1641cc Reply with quote

My '73 spun a cam bearing and is currently undergoing cleaning and inspection at the local machine shop. I'm stepping up the game a little bit with a 1641cc set of liners and pistons, and once I find a good deal one one, a single progressive Weber and center section.

As for the cam, since it spun a bearing I'm not going to take the risk of reusing it and I'm also going to take the opportunity to bump it up a bit. I'm looking at two cams, bearing in mind this is for a daily driver with fuel efficiency in mind, with mild power on the street so I don't have to keep worrying about getting plowed by semi's.

Kuhltek (IAP) - AC109-203
Engle 110

Both supposedly have similar, if not the same performance output, but with the bad luck I've had with Kuhltek distributors, I thought I'd ask if anyone has run the Kuhltek "equivalent" camshaft and had decent results?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: "Best" Cam for 1641cc Reply with quote

If you were going to try and stick with the stock carb I would advise you away from the 110 and into a 100 or CB "cheater" cam, as a 110 will have idle issues when mated to a stock single carb. A 110 or Scat C25 would work good in your setup, especially if you get rid of that Pinto carb idea and go with a set of dual carbs and a merged exhaust. Set the compression about 8.5:1 and you should be good to go for a nice little runner.
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: "Best" Cam for 1641cc Reply with quote

I'm probably going to be upgrading to either single or dual Webers.

Right now in terms of exhaust I have a set of 1-5/8" headers with a single EMPI glass pack.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: "Best" Cam for 1641cc Reply with quote

CB Cheater cam or Engle W90

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Engle-W90-Type-1-Camshaft-1-1-or-1-25-Rockers-p/e6090.htm

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Best" Cam for 1641cc Reply with quote

W90, 2280, with stock rockers or (stock with 1.25:1 rockers) Seriously consider ditching the 87mm kit in favor of a stock kit or bite the bullet and get 88's or 90.5's. I've come across multiple cars that were habitual oil drinkers and the common denominator was... 87's. They warp fairly easily if you abuse them due to thinner wall thickness. Some people have success with them though. I'd not use them for my personal cars. (Hence why I use a stroker crank with stock 85.5's...)

Up to you.

-Frank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: