Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

changing my tire sizes..
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: changing my tire sizes.. Reply with quote

So I bet this topic is as stale for you guys as the "what oil should I use" topic in the performance section.. so I apologize..

I'm currently running 185/65r15 up front and 225/60r15 in the rear. I have a 10" beam extension and drop spindles for about a 5" drop, but it's not as much of a rake as I'd like to see.. the tire sizes kinda make it flat..

I'm thinking about running 185/55r15 and 225/70r15.

With no front fenders, front tire size isn't an issue, and I have fiberglass rear fenders 3" wider than stock.. with current tires there is plenty of gap between tire and fender so I think I can accommodate the extra inch..

anyone run anything similar?

this is an old pic, but the ride height and tires are the same as current..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: changing my tire sizes.. Reply with quote

225/70-15's (27.4"- that's a tall tire!) will eat into the car's off the line acceleration, so keep that in mind.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: changing my tire sizes.. Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
225/70-15's (27.4"- that's a tall tire!) will eat into the car's off the line acceleration, so keep that in mind.

good to know, but I'm not racing anywhere..

currently have a 1776cc with a freeway flyer trans, it's pretty zippy off the line with the 225/60 that's on it now..

The 10" extension KILLED my turning radius, will smaller fronts make that even worse?

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: changing my tire sizes.. Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
ALB wrote:

good to know, but I'm not racing anywhere..

currently have a 1776cc with a freeway flyer trans, it's pretty zippy off the line with the 225/60 that's on it now..

The 10" extension KILLED my turning radius, will smaller fronts make that even worse?

I don't think the smaller front tires will change the turning radius at all, but maybe there's something I'm missing?
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: changing my tire sizes.. Reply with quote

So tax return should hit my checking account tomorrow, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on new tires finally..

Because of the sizes I want, I'm kinda stuck on brand/model, I see about 80% good reviews and a handful of terrible reviews, so who knows.. most of the bad reviews are people complaining about comfort issues (road vibration and the like).

Going with the General Altimax RT43

185/55R15 fronts
225/70R15 rears

ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: changing my tire sizes.. Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
So tax return should hit my checking account tomorrow, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on new tires finally..

Because of the sizes I want, I'm kinda stuck on brand/model, I see about 80% good reviews and a handful of terrible reviews, so who knows.. most of the bad reviews are people complaining about comfort issues (road vibration and the like).

185/55R15 fronts
225/70R15 rears

What gears are in your 'freeway flier' trans? And this is why I hate that term- it's a name that really has no definitive meaning and no one else knows exactly what you have.

I've prepared 2 graphs (assuming the trans it 3.88 x 0.89)- note the 125-150 rpm drop at 60 mph with the taller tires. Your 1776 may put out a bit of power, but it doesn't have the torque of a 2 liter + engine- are you sure it will be able to lope along at lower highway speeds (55-65) without overheating? I once ran a baja bug with either 28's or 29's (it was a long time ago) on the back with a stock 4.125 trans and could just barely pull top gear.It will be interesting to see how this works. Good luck- Al

http://www.teammfactory.com/calculator/225/60/15/2...3600/1/0/2
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: changing my tire sizes.. Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
tattooed_pariah wrote:

185/55R15 fronts
225/70R15 rears

What gears are in your 'freeway flier' trans? And this is why I hate that term- it's a name that really has no definitive meaning and no one else knows exactly what you have.

I've prepared 2 graphs (assuming the trans it 3.88 x 0.89)- note the 125-150 rpm drop at 60 mph with the taller tires. Your 1776 may put out a bit of power, but it doesn't have the torque of a 2 liter + engine- are you sure it will be able to lope along at lower highway speeds (55-65) without overheating? I once ran a baja bug with either 28's or 29's (it was a long time ago) on the back with a stock 4.125 trans and could just barely pull top gear.It will be interesting to see how this works. Good luck- Al

http://www.teammfactory.com/calculator/225/60/15/2...3600/1/0/2

trans was built back in 2007, IIRC, 1st and 2nd were kept stock, 3rd was made to go a bit longer than stock (I shift around 3000 rpms at about 45-50mph.. I want to say if I'm winding it out trying to accelerate fast, I can pull about 5krpms and shift around 65mph, but I don't do that very often so don't quote me there..) and 4th was a little taller than stock..

as for overheating, I don't have a trans temp guage, so can't provide any data on that, but my oil temp stays around 180, unless I'm doing 85+mph for extended periods of time, then it can get up to around 215 or so..

The hottest CHT I've seen was doing 85-90mph for about 15 minutes on the freeway on an 85F day (was part of a caravan going to a car show and I had no idea where it was, so I was trying to not get lost and keep up with the guys I was with..), #3 got up to about 310..

if it's about 70F outside, my CHTs are generally around 160-210F

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: