Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

After I sold my Westy, I bought a new Metris to build another roadship. It is the van no one would buy for thirteen months; it is too homely of a passenger van and too pudgy for a work van.

Here’s the background story if you are curious—

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=710685&highlight=cackalacky

It is a Mercedes Benz Metris, (not a Sprinter; I hope the thread doesn’t end the way this one did—)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620887&highlight=metris,
which is to say you cannot go to any M-B dealer to buy one or repair one (because it is really a Daimler-Benz, not M-B). It is front-engine, rear-wheel drive, powered by a turbocharged two-liter four-cylinder gas engine with around 200 horsepower and 200 torques; roughly 4500 pounds. The drivetrain is manufactured in Germany and the van is assembled in Spain. It is much cruder than the passenger minivans from Japan and Chrysler; the passenger version of the Metris is a tarted-up version of the cargo van with windows, sound deadening, and seats.
There are several new smaller vans from Europe and Japan. The new Fords, Chevrolet and Rams are rebranded products from there. The Sprinter is well known and has a place for mention here, but I hope that the discussion stays with the smaller ones which are closer in size to split windows, bays, Vanagons, and Eurovans—Ford Transit Connect, Nissan NV 200, Chevrolet City Express, Ram Promaster City are all smaller than what we are used to with VW buses and vans. Ram Promasters, Ford Transits, and Sprinters can come with various height tops and wheelbases and some VW people think that they are too big. Used ones are popping up for sale. Some upfitters put tops on Sienna-sized minivans, and some questions may arise about them if there is further interest in this thread.

This is costly; this is what you do after circumstances suggest that you sell your splitty, you have a boot load of cash on hand, and you feel compelled to replace it.

The upfitter companies (of which I am aware) which put pop tops on vehicles—
Metris conversions:
Sportsmobile—http://www.sportsmobile.com - Fresno, CA
Autostadt West—http://www.autostadtwest.com/ - Santa Cruz, CA
GTRV—https://www.gtrv.com/ - Sebastopol, CA
Peace Vans: https://www.peacevansmodern.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkrK8w9-a4QIVh5-fCh1XNgD6EAEYASAAEgLji_D_BwE -Seattle, WA
TourRig—https://www.mytourig.com/ - Golden Colorado
Reimo Americas—http://www.reimoamericas.com/index.html
BroVan: - Reno, NV - Instagram @brovanreno
Other small camping van upfitters:
Ursa Minor: https://www.ursaminorvehicles.com - San Diego, CA
Recon: https://www.reconcampers.com - Marina del Rey, CA

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After I bought the van, I called Sportsmobile in Huntington, IN to schedule an appointment for the day-and-a-half transformation to a pop top: “We don’t do the Metris here.” — “Do they do it at the Austin plant?” — “I don’t know.” It took seventeen days to go to Fresno and come back with a new top after I learned that they did not do it in Austin either. It looks better, the slight curve of the top migrates the flatness of the roof.

I am headed to Indy soon to build the interior at the shop of a friend.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

i personally like the metris. I have chased some on the autobahn in germany. A Metris diesel will hit 120mph if you give it time.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

So happy for you Craig. You are always welcome to hang or roll with me
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

Looks like a nice platform for a sweet camper. Looking forward to following along!
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

Wow, Craig, this is exactly what I pictured when you described it to me. I again will call it a New Westy, as that is what it will be closest to by nature.
Can't wait to see the interior conversion.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

I like it! Any photos of the inside of the top?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Cackalacky Campership Reply with quote

Thanks

I’ll get better shot of the inside of the top and post them shortly.

It’s an Easty—an Eastfalia, John; It took so much effort to get that top mounted, (I fuckin’ drove to Fresno)?

I have to stop saying “my bus” in the present tense.
Looking at it through a camera lens does not inspire me to take photos.
I have to suppress the thought Buffalo Bob when I see it and forget that I’m looking at my new bee ue ess delete delete delete van.

We hope to end up with a very simple plan that has a very finished look.
It’s gonna be fun.
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

I approve of this build.
I have a 2015 Ram C/V which is the cargo van (or C/V = camper van) version of the Dodge Caravan. It came with only front seats but I got the window option so it looks like a passenger van. I built a platform in the rear to double my storage space and use as a bed platform.
I also have a full 93 Eurovan Weekender pop top in storage that I am tempted to slap on it.
I like the swivel seats of your Metris. That adds a lot of functionality.

I will look for your set up at CTS or the Farm this spring. Would like to see it in person.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

Shit Craig, thats badass! Love my Metris
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

I hope That I will be at CTS to sell.
Nick, I hope that I can talk to you at the show. It’s good to hear that you’re happy with it.
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

Pics of the inside:

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

What am I looking at here?
Edit: Oh, the springs under the upper mattress?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

Yeah, ha, it belongs in the wtf is that? thread. It’s cushy.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

looks great Craig- very stealth and a blank canvas for you to set it up the way that best works for you without fear of vintage police passing judgement Smile
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

besides driving to Fresno...what was the cost for the top conversion?
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:
besides driving to Fresno...what was the cost for the top conversion?

It costs $10,277.00 including Cal’s sales tax. Most of those websites post prices.
Someone on the East Coast with the shop and skills could do this. Hurdles would be factory certifications and sourcing the tops from SCA. I enjoyed the ride, but the expenses were palpable.
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

Cool..thanks Craig
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

There are two firms near Quebec City that convert vans - Safari Condo and New West. I do not see a Metris among their offerings. It is possible that they would convert a customer vehicle, but I have not asked. They do have at least three styles of flip or raised roofs.
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking that you guys in Canada could add a few. I think that Reimo NA is in Quebec. There is a company called Travois up that way as well.

We’ve done three full-sized mock ups, refining as we go. We’re neck deep in the complexities of keeping things simple; the inspiration coming from Chinese puzzle box designs. I will get some pictures up if I can get this FTP app to work on my iPhone.
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The M-B Metris for a westy-style camper build - new vans Reply with quote

We thought that a local cabinetmaker had the skills, but we let him go; we’re doing it ourselves:

We’re maybe halfway through, never done finished cabinets before; Ev is inventive and we're holding our breath until we see if the conjunctions of everything work.
First mock-up; we built models for three weeks and still want to test some remaining hardware; forgive the delay, we may be too embarrassed to show it.

First cardboard mock-up
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: