Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kadron Carbs - Throttle Sticking
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Kadron Carbs - Throttle Sticking Reply with quote

I have had my first Beetle for 9 days, it is a 1960... I love this thing.

My car has a 1600 DP engine with Kadron carbs, it runs well.

The throttle linkage is really stiff and has a fairly strong spring on it. The gas pedal takes a lot of effort and I have a roller pedal I am about to install.

Today, the throttle sort of stuck resulting in a 1500 ish RPM idle. I cant really figure out where it is binding. The cable is new.
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Kadron Carbs - Throttle Sticking Reply with quote

Start unhooking things, starting at the carbs, and keep going through the system toward the throttle until the pedal moves easily. It will be obvious when you've found it. Don't forget to rotate each throttle shaft by hand. Every joint should move very freely.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kadron Carbs - Throttle Sticking Reply with quote

You need to determine if it's the cable stuck in the car, or the dual carb linkage that's binding and sticking. The pedal itself could be binding. Where the cable comes out of the floorpan above the front of the transmission there is a flexible cable guide, similar to an outer bicycle cable tube. If this gets misaligned where it meets the floor pan, it'll hold the idle up 1k rpm or so. And then where the cable goes through the fan shroud and forward engine tin are another place to look for snags..
And then to the kadron linkage, which in stock form is a PITA. But usually when they fail, the rod pops off the carbs, or the pivot rod falls off, and you have no pedal action.
Whatever is going on, a stiff spring on the linkage will only wear the carbs fast. If it's there to overcome some other binding, fix that and lose the spring for a lighter one.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Kadron Carbs - Throttle Sticking Reply with quote

If you changed out the cable, then the issue may be in the bowden tubing for the accelerator cable. Make sure it is pushed into the metal tubing.

As far as the Kadrons - there is only one giant spring against the linkage. That is it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: