Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you considered renting out your Westy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I don't even like my wife to drive the westy without me in it. Come to think of it, she's only driven it once in 10 years. I think she knows better. Very Happy

Thi$.

Nobody puts baby in the corner.

My better half used to drive the van sometimes as did my daughters but only AFTER I demonstrated the shifting technique. Even then, most of the time they used way too much force on that long lever arm.

I am currently having an essentially brand new $yncro tran$ installed. New case, new GT mainshaft, all new GT gears, new GT R&P, cooling mod$...you get the picture.

NOBODY but me will be behind the wheel for quite a long time.
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
About 35 high school girls learned to drive stick on my New Beetle.

This is suspect, no way can you fit 35 in a Beetle.

That line can be used in evidence against me

Shocked
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

I couldn't begin to fathom the insurance and liability issues that would occur from renting out my personal automobile. No thanks! Confused
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

If you want to read some horror stories from Airbnb click link below. These incidents may influence you NOT to rent out anything to anyone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/4ucs2u/airbnb_hosts_of_reddit_what_is_your_worst_horror/
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

big swifty wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:
I don't even like my wife to drive the westy without me in it. Come to think of it, she's only driven it once in 10 years. I think she knows better. Very Happy

Thi$.

Nobody puts baby in the corner.

My better half used to drive the van sometimes as did my daughters but only AFTER I demonstrated the shifting technique. Even then, most of the time they used way too much force on that long lever arm.

I am currently having an essentially brand new $yncro tran$ installed. New case, new GT mainshaft, all new GT gears, new GT R&P, cooling mod$...you get the picture.

NOBODY but me will be behind the wheel for quite a long time.

My partner drives the van better than I do. She's calm, patient and gets 1-2 more mpg than me. In 2017 she had it out for 130 nights in 23 states, mostly solo.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

My wife is a very good driver and I am a better passenger than she is - so she usually gets the majority of the wheel time in the Westy.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That line can be used in evidence against me.

Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

My wife drives the Vanagon home from Red Rocks after concerts when I'm not in driving condition.

I say, "C'mon girl! You don't drive a Vanagon, you RIDE a Vanagon!"

Then she convincingly threatens to throw me out on my butt and I sit quietly for the remainder of the drive.

Other than that, only other trusted Vanagon owners, subject to comprehensive review, drive mine.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
... and I am a better passenger than she is...

I’m going to try using that line next time I want to hang out in the passenger seat. Shocked Very Happy Laughing Cool

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

I get worried just letting a friend drive any of our old camping vehicles around my property (and I have a few). VW's are just so different and they all age different requiring special techniques on shifting, starting, ect.

now that being said I am totally a hypocrite and have rented classic VWs and landrovers with roof tents every year in Germany for a trip I take.
I guess if someone is willing to rent and or trade (and I have done both) I will gladly accept use of their car and treat it like my own or better.

I have already made a commitment to loan my wife's auto tranny T4 eurovan camper to a friend that loaned me his T4 last year so I guess ask me how that goes when he finally takes me up on it! Shocked

I did however purchase a cheap little 5 door suzuki manual trans 4x4 recently and installed a roof tent on it in hopes he will choose that when he visits instead of my wife's treasured pop top T4

This topic has both stressed me out and gave me relief at the same time to think there are more people that worry how our buses are driven!
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Other than that, only other trusted Vanagon owners, subject to comprehensive review, drive mine.

Translation: owns a nice enough Westy that I'd be willing to take over and own should they damage/wreck mine.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

Well, speaking from experience and not conjecture, it can work. I met Dobryan once for five minutes a couple years ago, he borrowed our Westy to go to Solstice, and the sky did not fall. Spud is safely back in the garage and got to and from the event under his own power. Generally speaking, the good that comes from trusting other people (and them trusting me) far outweighs the risks. This is particularly applicable to VWs, as half the reason we keep 'em around is the connections they generate with others. YMMV, YOLO, IIRC, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

i have 2 customers here in san diego, who have rented out their westy's, both vans returned home needing new clutches, one, twice needed a new clutch Sad
their owners checked before hand, and were told the renters could drive stick, both picked up their renters from the airport, and had the renters drive the vans around, supervised, and felt happy that the renter could drive stick, 3 clutch jobs i've gotten out of it Sad one guy hit the van and put a big dent in it, and tried to suggest it was ''like that, when he picked up the van''

from that, if i had an automatic westy, and the body wasn't 90% or better condition, maybe.

mr owokie, i take my hat off to you, dave parked next to use, and i can attest to while we saw it, he was taking very good care of his loaner Smile

619 201 0310
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

+1 on that hats off. Thanks Again, Owokie.

Business is where trust comes with a Visa -- if we're discussing renting delicate and old and valuable buses to strangers -- for good or bad (for the record I say "sad").

Honoring someone else's stuff should be obvious, but rental cars see a lot of action unbecoming for a Westy. Some not noticed, nor an issue for years.

From this niche, I often ponder how it's going for Bill at Surfari.

— Colin Chapman
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

Outside: Read This Before Renting Your Beloved Van to Strangers.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2406932/outdoorsy-van-rentals

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your westy ? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
visions of the shift knob clutched in a death grip, jamming into gear like a mad man mashing potatoes... thanks, but no thanks.
Wink

Mrs Sodo shifts like shes hand-mixing a 5-gallon bucket of brownie mix.

I’d be more amenable to renting to another Westy owner (if at all).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Well, speaking from experience and not conjecture, it can work. I met Dobryan once for five minutes a couple years ago, he borrowed our Westy to go to Solstice, and the sky did not fall. Spud is safely back in the garage and got to and from the event under his own power. Generally speaking, the good that comes from trusting other people (and them trusting me) far outweighs the risks. This is particularly applicable to VWs, as half the reason we keep 'em around is the connections they generate with others. YMMV, YOLO, IIRC, etc.

You will go far in life with that mantra, indeed.

What’s missed by the downers is that which is lost in fear of the worst case scenarios
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you considered renting out your Westy? Reply with quote

Abscate, consider joining the van trading list.

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: