Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake calipers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kashufo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Brake calipers Reply with quote

I am trying to get brake calipers for my squareback but there are 2 kinds for 71 and early and 72 up how can i know witch ones i need how can i get part number
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

Measure the distance between the caliper mounting bolt holes.
The earlier type has a 2 1/4" (57.15mm) spacing, later type has 3" (76.2mm) spacing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kashufo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

They are really hard to find some body told me that you can replace them with 83 BMW 320i but I went to autozone or o'reilly they don't have them any more. any advice on what can I do?
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

Which calipers do you need? Perhaps you can find some in the classifies? Probably need to be rebuilt though...
Kashufo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

I need passenger side but I am thinking to do both sides I try everywhere they only have for early type 3's, and I am trying to get parts but they only have seals and I need pistons. do any one know where I can get them?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

try rockauto

and ebay actually.

how bad are the pistons? will they not polish up?
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

No one has the 42mm pistons. (I searched and searched) I believe, the same pistons work on the early calipers as well as the later calipers.

I think Jim Adney can either rebuild your calipers or has some for sale. I do not know if he has just pistons for sale, though. Best to ask him.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

the pistons are available, I seem to find them anyways

autozone should be able to sell you the whole caliper, tell them it's for a late 914 like a 74

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-contr...35763_2362
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

here is the 320i swap info (but it's only direct fit for early 914's and early type3

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_BMW_calipers/914_BMW_calipers.htm
Kashufo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

I try Autozone and they are out of stock does any one know how I can get a hold of Jim Adney?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

Kashufo wrote:
I try Autozone and they are out of stock does any one know how I can get a hold of Jim Adney?

Try [email protected] . He also has an ad in the Samba Classifieds.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

What is the date on your car. Be specific.

There are three calipers. The bery early ones with the narrow caliper mount holes as described......and the middle years which are UP TO AUGUST OF 1971....and the third that is FROM AUGUST OF 1971 (1972 model year)

Both the middle and late calipers have the same bolt pattern but wirk in different spindles, have different width and differebt pads.

Rock auto lists a centric remanufactured caliper in stock...only one left for $42.

Also check PMB performance. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kashufo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

date that I have is 01/72 how can I get the chassis number
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

Kashufo wrote:
date that I have is 01/72 how can I get the chassis number

Also....my apologies. I may be wrong on the dates. It may be TO august of 72 and AFTER August of 1972. I het my type 3s and type 4s mixed up some days....so check the book. Ray
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

Keep looking for the correct caliper with 42mm piston your car has to have. Do not use a BMW caliper, because the pistons are HUGE and the travel / piston diameter of your master brake cylinder is too small for that combination especially in combination with rear brake drums.

Same for the regular bug / ghia caliper with 40mm piston. You will not have enough pressure on your front brakes , because 42mm piston was matched to the rear brakes!
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

There are three calipers. The bery early ones with the narrow caliper mount holes as described......and the middle years which are UP TO AUGUST OF 1971....and the third that is FROM AUGUST OF 1971 (1972 model year)

Both the middle and late calipers have the same bolt pattern but wirk in different spindles, have different width and differebt pads.

Rock auto lists a centric remanufactured caliper in stock...only one left for $42.

Does the 72 also have thicker brake rotors? 1mm thicker ? Like 11mm vs 10mm?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Does the 72 also have thicker brake rotors? 1mm thicker ? Like 11mm vs 10mm?

Ok....sorry my memory is crappy today.

There are TWO basic calipers for type 3.....with a couple of differences in the later models that make it look like three.

The early models through 1971....which means they stop at August.....are the smaller 40mm piston and mount. The 1972-1973 used the larger 42mm piston.

My mix up is that the later 42mm piston caliper for type 3.....is the early obe for 411/412/914 cars....and ends in August of 1972....and the wider 42mm piston caliper runs from august of 1972 (1973 model year) through 74 in 412 and 76 in the 914.

The 42mm caliper in the type 3.....for 1972 and 1973. The type 3 disc thickness in the without guesswork book is 11.mm changing to 11mm in the from August of 1971 models (1972 model year).

Here is my thread on rebuilding these calipers if needed. Ray

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658176
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

Actually, all type 3 calipers came with 42mm pistons. The later calipers use a larger pad. (wrt 3 types of calipers, search for the differences about the pin in the caliper to guide the piston on the larger calipers.)

But no one makes a 5 lug rotor for the later brakes, if that's a consideration.

Here's something that just popped up on the classifieds.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2264002

Dunno what the pistons look like after sitting for years. I bought some calipers that was sitting for years, and the pistons were beyond saving. (Heavy corrosion)

Chris has some type 3 calipers last time I was there. In fact, he's parting out some type 3's.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19586 .

Good luck.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

All Typ3 have 42mm caliper pistons!

I just never did hear about three different caliper versions. I only know about two different version and so the brake rotors.

The early small bolt pattern takes the Bug / Ghia rotor while the later version takes the 411 version which is 1mm thicker.

The early T3 caliper have the same bolt pattern like the Bug / Ghia, but the piston is 42mm and not 40mm. The ATE caliper with two pin look identical on the outside, but the piston diameter is different.

As far as I remember the T3 caliper has also one guide pin inside the caliper were the piston slides over, which I have never seen on any 40mm caliper. Not sure what the reason for that guide pin is.

One way to find out what piston size an early caliper has is if you look at the piston dust seal the original ATE part number will have a 42 as part of the part number on the seal. The Ghia caliper will have a 40 as part of the part number. The part number can be seen after the brake pads have been removed.

The VW installed caliper with 40mm for the Bug / Ghia was made in three different versions:
1st. 2-pin ATE --------- 2nd. 1-pin ATE and the --------- Girling caliper with somewhat oval brake pads.

To the best of my knowledge the Brazilian made VARGA caliper comes only with an 40mm piston and was never installed in German made cars . At least I have never seen any with an 42mm piston.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brake calipers Reply with quote

add that in the US the beetle never got discs, they were always drum brakes, only the ghia got the discs.

the 42mm pistons are available a number of places, but you need to be looking for a 914 not a volkswagen. the late 914 front calipers are the same as the late type 3, with two bleeder valves.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: