Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2022 Type 3 Invasion - Crescent City, CA - June 16-19, 2022
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

RedSquare wrote:
vwfye wrote:
Well...

I hate this, but we will be postponing the 2020 Invasion until the same weekend in 2021. So, June 17-20 is the new date. Same location, same hotel.

I will contact the host hotel and we will confirm the new date first thing tomorrow. The management and I have already been talking about this as a back up plan.

So, procrastinators, you get 364 more days!

So just to confirm, June 17-20 2021 is the planned date for this? Is that still correct?

Yes, that is still the plan. Our local host, Brian Fye, is talking with the host hotel right now to confirm everything with them. Once that is complete, we will get the ball rolling on the 2021 Invasion...

...all dependent, of course, on California being open for these kind of events by June.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

Alright. I just got off the phone with the host hotel and as long as California isn't closed in June, we have a hotel!
The down side is trying to find feeding spots. Cali seems to be worse off than other states for closed resturants. So, I am still working on that.

The dates for the 2021 Type 3 Invasion are June 17th to 20th. The hotel is the Curly Redwood Lodge.
When you call, tell them you are with the VW group for June 17th-20th. We currently have the entire hotel (but it isn't huge) reserved.
1-707-464-2137 is the phone number. The owners are new, so be polite, and patient. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
Alright. I just got off the phone with the host hotel and as long as California isn't closed in June, we have a hotel!
The down side is trying to find feeding spots. Cali seems to be worse off than other states for closed resturants. So, I am still working on that.

The dates for the 2021 Type 3 Invasion are June 17th to 20th. The hotel is the Curly Redwood Lodge.
When you call, tell them you are with the VW group for June 17th-20th. We currently have the entire hotel (but it isn't huge) reserved.
1-707-464-2137 is the phone number. The owners are new, so be polite, and patient. Thanks!

That sounds great! And from my experience locally, a fair amount of places are still doing take out, and some still outdoor table or even a few spaced out indoor dining. Though I can't speak for up in crescent city. I was up near Eureka CA over the summer and a lot of places there were doing outdoor dining and take out at that point. Worst case scenario pack a camp stove? Laughing

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

As of early January, California has run out of ICUs, and ERs and ambulances are now filtering to only those with a good chance of survival.

The conditions of last summer are nothing like what we have today.

The hope is that the MASSIVE STUPID of the last few holidays stops, and spring vaccinations reduce risk and spread. But that is a pretty stiff set of assumptions, and based on experience, far from a sure thing.

But based on those hopeful assumptions, this should be great! We should know in a couple of months where the trend is going.

So I plan on putting down a deposit soon, but will pull it should the shutdown orders and ER numbers stay at the terrible levels we are seeing now.

Fingers very tightly crossed!
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

If anyone is trying to camp, Del Norte campsite is one of the best in the area, looks like things are available now but they tend to go quickly. who knows what the heck is going to happen but that is an option

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
If anyone is trying to camp, Del Norte campsite is one of the best in the area, looks like things are available now but they tend to go quickly. who knows what the heck is going to happen but that is an option

Cool
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

CresentCity is actually a very nice little town. A lot of restaurants close to the harbor and some really beautiful Camp Grounds just a few miles down HY 199. There was a KOA Camp ground just a few miles North of the city on 101 and last time I was there it was very nice. I dont have a Type 3 but may make a run up there to just see the Invasion.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

As of yesterday HY 101 was closed about 10 or so miles south of Crescent City due to a slide. ( the area is called Last Chance Grade). It is in an area that has been shut down many times in the past years, they plan to have one way traffic controls in effect with in a day or so. Such a beautiful area, so many great places to see and take photo ops at.
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:

Thank you so much for setting this up. I just called and made my reservation. woo hoo! Very Happy
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

pitargue wrote:

Thank you so much for setting this up. I just called and made my reservation. woo hoo! Very Happy

Just trying to keep the hobby alive!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

Several have made there reservations. Woot! Cool
jaransonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

I made our reservation last night.

Fingers crossed that the pandemic is under control enough by then that we get to hold the Invasion.
'69 Square
'70-1 Fasty
https://www.carartbyjohn.com
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

jaransonT3 wrote:

Fingers crossed that the pandemic is under control enough by then that we get to hold the Invasion.

I'm certainly not holding my breath Crying or Very sad
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
jaransonT3 wrote:

I'm certainly not holding my breath Crying or Very sad

I was just talking with my wife about this yesterday, and from what I hear (keep in mind their in LA county) they are talking shut down in to June... but thats all hearsay till we get closer. I just hope it will be able to go forward.... I want to finally meet all my fellow T3'ers

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

Another strike thrown at us...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2021-02-01/23...re-repairs

Quote:
Caltrans officials say landslide repairs will keep Highway 1 south of Big Sur closed for months, rewriting travel plans for anyone who had been hoping to make a coastal road trip from Southern California in early spring.

Beyond that, “It is too early to establish a timeline,” Caltrans spokesman Kevin Drabinski said. Though Monterey County officials partially lifted a storm-related evacuation order in the area Monday afternoon, the debris flow in some places “is still active. … And we have rain coming as soon as tonight.”

But US-101 is open, also beautiful, and a bit faster if you are coming from SoCal.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

Hmmmm.....locusts next? Fires, plague, land slides, just not catching a break here.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
Hmmmm.....locusts next? Fires, plague, land slides, just not catching a break here.

When I lived in California it'd go something like this: Drought, fires, mud/landslides, flooding...wait a few years until people get 'comfortable' and rebuild...then lather, rinse, repeat! If it gets quiet, throw in a random earthquake here and there.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:

I wonder if that might have been part of the reason why California hadn't gotten an Invasion prior? I mean the Oregon and Arizona events went off without a hitch, but the 1st Cali Invasion gets set back a full year.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
eyetzr wrote:

When I lived in California it'd go something like this: Drought, fires, mud/landslides, flooding...wait a few years until people get 'comfortable' and rebuild...then lather, rinse, repeat! If it gets quiet, throw in a random earthquake here and there.

That's what I've always heard about California. At least it seemed like that in the news. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 Type 3 Invasion - June 18-21, 2020 - Crescent City, CA Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
eyetzr wrote:

I wonder if that might have been part of the reason why California hadn't gotten an Invasion prior? I mean the Oregon and Arizona events went off without a hitch, but the 1st Cali Invasion gets set back a full year.

Thats why for future west coast Invasions i would like to throw Genoa Nevada in the ring.... oldest settlement in NV , tucked up against the sierra's ... plenty of hotels near by... hell my backyard would be open to camping if needed

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 21

Jump to: