Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

install new battery cables
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rutger1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: install new battery cables Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have a lot of electrical issues in my van so im solving them one by one. To start I am going to install new battery cables including a relay. I have seen a lot of wiring diagrams but I'm kind of a noob here so I am looking for some confirmation. Is this image correct? (sorry it's in Dutch).

Also another noob question, I understand how the power runs from the alternator to the batteries but how does the current run back from the batteries to the engine compartment to power all the individual parts.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: install new battery cables Reply with quote

yeah that looks generally correct. I would consider maybe using a smaller wire (like 8.37 mm2).

I don't understand the second question. current flows both ways. Like a pipe.
Rutger1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: install new battery cables Reply with quote

I already bought the cables. I was just wondering where the power cable is that, for example, powers the ECU. Is that in the fuse box in the engine compartment?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: install new battery cables Reply with quote

Yeah power comes into that box. For example here is the box plus wiring harness.

Also look at the alternator wiring harness below.
https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/23762/alternator-wiring-harness-upgrade-kit-?v=

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2081378
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: install new battery cables Reply with quote

I think the start assist relay is just another part that may introduce failure into the system. If you have a good battery, cables and starter with clean connections, it is completely unnecessary. I would not install one in my van. I would just make sure everything else works properly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: