Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing Reply with quote

I've seen quite a few people fretting about NLA rubber elbows throughout their buses, especially before the Aux Air Regulator. I went through a few years ago and replaced them all with copper pipe fittings and have never had a problem since. Just thought I'd share that information in case anyone's having trouble sourcing their air hoses.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing Reply with quote

oshima wrote:
I've seen quite a few people fretting about NLA rubber elbows throughout their buses, especially before the Aux Air Regulator. I went through a few years ago and replaced them all with copper pipe fittings and have never had a problem since. Just thought I'd share that information in case anyone's having trouble sourcing their air hoses.

The elbows are becoming available again, but the quality is not good; most seem to crack in a year or two.

GeeBee's long AAR hose has the elbow pre-molded in, and I think it's a fantastic solution.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1711851

I've also been using the AAR elbows for the charcoal canister hoses to make cleaner hose runs; those are less critical if they crack, since they won't cause a vacuum leak.

See you on the road!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing Reply with quote

There is no reason the AAR has to be hidden and inaccessible, if I were going to start changing the hoses and fittings I think I would relocate it to an easy to access location first.
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing Reply with quote

You could go with the $50.00 solution, but it only cost $0.50 per elbow at home depot *shrugs*
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing Reply with quote

Do you have any pics of your solutions? When I installed FI in my '73, I had to make up a set of hoses with copper pipes and other odds and ends and haven't ever been super happy with the results.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing Reply with quote

Someone in the trade should be able to source these elbows from other makes and models, Shirley.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Someone in the trade should be able to source these elbows from other makes and models, Shirley.

Don’t call me Shirley...

I’m sure there’s something out there that is good quality. If not, some copper elbows, JB weld...

Thinking of those leaky bastards on the dual carb manifolds...all gooey with melted electrical tape...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Don’t call me Shirley...

I’m sure there’s something out there that is good quality. If not, some copper elbows, JB weld...

Thinking of those leaky bastards on the dual carb manifolds...all gooey with melted electrical tape...

Shirley - I think one can actually find a piece of scrap plastic from an old BIC pen in the catch all drawer that would cost less than 50 cents. Why spend 50 cents if you can do it for free with saran wrap, and old gum wrapper, and a piece of plastic off an old BIC pen? Really that is silly to waste 50 cents.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing Reply with quote

I own a couple of the GeeBee pieces already, excellent work there. I’d be interested in the AAR hose. His classified ads show most things as sold as sets, has anyone had any luck buying individual hoses lately or are other vendors selling them?

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

If someone can measure them ID and dimensions on these pieces and post them up we can start scanning models for pieces.

Hospital! What is it?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rubber elbows with copper tubing Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
I own a couple of the GeeBee pieces already, excellent work there. I’d be interested in the AAR hose. His classified ads show most things as sold as sets, has anyone had any luck buying individual hoses lately or are other vendors selling them?

I've bought all his hoses, most at different times. Just PM him and explain that you already bought various hoses from him and that you need that one. He was accommodating for me.

I wonder if he could make a fuel filler hose?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: