Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How long was it to ship from factory to US?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: How long was it to ship from factory to US? Reply with quote

I can tell from my birth certificate when my bug had its final inspection done, but I don't know when it may have arrived at a port in the US (or even to the dealership). Does anyone know if the general shipping times?

For example, once the VW was completed at the factory, was it sent immediately to a boat which set sail to the states, or did it generally sit at Wolfsburg for some period?

Once at a port, did it sit around a while before being transported to the dealership, or did VW have everything ready to go?

Or was all of this on a case by case basis, and there is no way to really estimate time from factory to dealership?

If my birth certificate gives a date, could I just tack on 2 months and say that it would have been to the dealership by then?

-Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How long was it to ship from factory to US? Reply with quote

Haven't seen any specific information on the subject, but it'd be a safe bet the car would sit at the factory or the dock for at most a day or two, followed by about a week to cross the Atlantic, another day to be unloaded from the ship and onto a carrier, then add time on the carrier to the dealership. Adding it all up gives us a rough estimate of between a little over a week to about two weeks. A two month guess is likely an overestimate, while a one month guess is quite safe but also likely long depending on what year and where the dealership was we're talking about.

Total VW sales in the US for 1966 and 1967 averaged about 395k for all types of vehicles, so figure a weekly average import of about 7600 vehicles to meet demand. With an average production of just under 18k Beetles per week in this time period (not including other VW types), it's a safe bet the cars didn't sit around for long before shipping out.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/volkswagen/
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How long was it to ship from factory to US? Reply with quote

Quote:
once the VW was completed at the factory, was it sent immediately to a boat which set sail to the states, or did it generally sit at Wolfsburg for some period?

The birth certificates that I have seen have a "built on" date and a "left factory on" date

Quote:
If my birth certificate gives a date, could I just tack on 2 months and say that it would have been to the dealership by then?

I bought an owners manual from a yard sale and it came with a window sticker folded up inside. According to the VIN chart, it was built in the month of March `65. They are not easy to notice, but there are dates typed in the black area below the word "Volkswagen" on the top of the window stickers. The date on my sticker reads " 05 MAY 65". This could be the date that the vehicle was processed by the dealer but this is just a guess.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: How long was it to ship from factory to US? Reply with quote

Great analysis - and documentation to potentially back it up. Thanks for the information. I assumed travel would take a while, but it makes sense they wanted to move those cars as fast as they could.

-Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: How long was it to ship from factory to US? Reply with quote

I have a letter from the factory regarding my car from the early 80's. It has some info that isn't commonly found on birth certs.
My car left the factory on Jan 7th 1954, and was delivered Jan 25th to Seattle. You can assume a few day for transport to the docks, and unloading. So about 15 days I would say.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: