Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Window Wiper Hole Placement
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Windshield Window Wiper Hole Placement Reply with quote

Hello all,

I bought a bus and the previous owner had the window wiper holes filled and I am going to have them redrilled out for window wipers (have to get the vehicle inspected and it needs wipers). I was trying to find out if there were exact measurements out there. I couldn't find anything and was wondering if anybody had anything or knows where it is. I spent the last couple hours looking through forums but couldn't find any. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks guys

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Hole Placement Reply with quote

How were the holes filled?, try looking at the back side of them, you'll either see some welding, or a long curly turd of filler ooozing out of the former hole, if it's filler grab it with pliers and break it off from the back.

If it's welded measure from the bottom edge of the depression towards the center as well as from each side equally, there's where the hole goes.
Another way is to find a washer that just fits into the depression, the hole in the middle is where the wiper hole should be.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Hole Placement Reply with quote

I checked, it has a metal tab there now where the oozy stuff would be coming out.
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Hole Placement Reply with quote

Here is a photo

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Hole Placement Reply with quote

That looks like a two person weld to me. a buddy held that scrap of galvanized (yum) tin up there on the backside while the welder tacked in the hole.

You just have to have a little trust that your wiper holes remain somewhere centered in their wells. These wells are approx. 27mm in circumference, with the shaft holes approx. 13 mms. in dead center. I'd do as busdaddy suggests. Slap something 27mm round in there and mark the center. Then drill it out. I'd start with small bits to establish a good center and use step bits until the metal tin backer snaps loose of the backside or when I hit 13mm, whichever happens first. There are two layers of aligned VW metal there- and one layer of PO jacknard's metal scrap.

If your seams are fully filled with bondo (you should have a full width, visible overlapping seam from the windshield frame metal over the nose sheet metal) then actual measurements from us to you are useless.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Joe71885
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Hole Placement Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
That looks like a two person weld to me. a buddy held that scrap of galvanized (yum) tin up there on the backside while the welder tacked in the hole.

You just have to have a little trust that your wiper holes remain somewhere centered in their wells. These wells are approx. 27mm in circumference, with the shaft holes approx. 13 mms. in dead center. I'd do as busdaddy suggests. Slap something 27mm round in there and mark the center. Then drill it out. I'd start with small bits to establish a good center and use step bits until the metal tin backer snaps loose of the backside or when I hit 13mm, whichever happens first. There are two layers of aligned VW metal there- and one layer of PO jacknard's metal scrap.

If your seams are fully filled with bondo (you should have a full width, visible overlapping seam from the windshield frame metal over the nose sheet metal) then actual measurements from us to you are useless.

Thanks guys
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Hole Placement Reply with quote

To make this thread accessible to someone using the search function in the future... maybe edit the title to read: Windshiled Wiper Pivot Hole Location

0.4” or 10 mm from edge of lower lip to center of hole.
Or... since you apparently have wiper pivot washers handy... lay rubber washer on the metal (where you can tell from my paint exposure)... and mark the center.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Window Hole Placement Reply with quote

Joe71885 wrote:
Here is a photo

Probably those sheet metal patches were just tacked welded into place so a glob of bondo could be slathered over the holes. Might try Dremil to grind off the sheet metal patches from inside and then see if you can push something fairly sharp like a nail thru the bondo.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Window Wiper Hole Placement Reply with quote

Hold the phone, you want to be EXTREMEMELY careful if suggesting you punch through it in or out- even with a small nail. Without knowing exactly how everything was mudded- you could easily punch out a piece of paint and bondo the size and shape of a puzzle piece of Saskatchewan. As discussed earlier, if your seams have been filled- there is more sculpture happening here than what is being photographed.

In other words, you don't want to do this. And I rarely disagree with Eric&Barb advice.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Window Wiper Hole Placement Reply with quote

Definitely push inward with a nail should not break out a huge area. Did this with my 1963 K Ghia that the body shop covered ALL the drain holes in the lower part of the body. No problem doing that if one is careful.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Window Wiper Hole Placement Reply with quote

I'd rather start from outside the bus with a small drill and then file outwards till you hit metal lifting the file on withdrawl, you may have gotten away with it once, but I've cracked or chipped too many "bondo surprises" to trust the last guys prep work.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Window Wiper Hole Placement Reply with quote

Use a step drill from the outside.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: