Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick.Martir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

Whats your view on buying a bus with a swapped engine. ( not a Subaru, but a Ford 2.8 v6) I want to get into my first bus project, nothing too serious though. Just looking for something that runs well and i can take to the beach and maybe camp out of. The bus I'm looking at is a 74 with a ford swap, for $3800. The price is right up my ally and the body looks in decent shape with a safari high top on it.

Just want to see what some VW enthusiast think about having a factory body with a ford engine. Will i be mocked by VW owners? will it even be worth it?

Thanks in advance for anyone who provides input or feedback.
-Nick.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

while over the decades many have been done..
and I've been involved in building one at one time.

the old Pushrod V6 didn't like the RPMs of the stock gearing.
they generate alot of power especially with the lower gearing of the stock transaxle.
but they also are fairly inefficient and generate alot of heat..

so unless it's already well sorted out.. I'd be very leary.

might want to take this conversation over to the BAY BUS FORUM for better answers.. and put on your flame suit before entering.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

Nick.Martir wrote:
Whats your view ...

I can build a killer air cooled VW engine for less than half of what it would take to build a bone stock anything else. Also have witnessed a very well “engineered” subbie conversion done in a Bug get totally spanked at the track. Laughing

That’s my view! But also my view is that it’s your choice to do whatever the hell you want with your stuff. Cool
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

What sort of mechanical ability do you have? You're not likely to find a mechanic willing to deal with a bastardized bus & if you do, you're not likely to get any sort of warranty. A VW mechanic will always blame the Ford components, a Ford mechanic will always blame the VW components, & both of them will blame the person that cobbled it all together.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

Nick.Martir wrote:
Whats your view on buying a bus with a swapped engine. ( not a Subaru, but a Ford 2.8 v6) will it even be worth it?

-Nick.

My view? Run away as fast as you can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

I would start by looking at the outside. If it looks stock it might be worth considering. If it looks like something that was magnetized and collected a lot of random junky bits that stuck then you might be better off starting with something else.

The Ford 2.8 ltr was a German built engine if I recall - I wonder if you can even get bits and pieces for them anymore?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

Yep ford stuff is pretty hard to locate.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Yep ford stuff is pretty hard to locate.

Does Ford still support the '70s and early '80s German built stuff? I highly doubt it. We are not talking a 351 Cleveland here...

VW doesn't even support thier '90s and early 2000s cars anymore.

For the OPer, Resale value of that Bus would be considerably lower than if it was stock. Just something to keep in mind.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

Nick.Martir wrote:
Will i be mocked by VW owners? will it even be worth it?

screw what others think. I do a LOT of Subaru conversions to bay windows. they look like they are factory...most swaps look like someone shoveled every bit of garbage from the ground of a junk yard into the engine bay and closed the hood...

having said that...if the body is CLEAN the rest is easy(ish) as rust repair sucks, and costly...if the body is in good shape and you like it...buy it. yoc and do whatever with it after that.

it just depends how bad they butchered the bus for the swap.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
it just depends how bad they butchered the bus for the swap.

Exactly right!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

you couldn't give me that thing with a Ford engine in it... the stock type 4 pancake engine was bad enough - the price is very reasonable, i'd say, but save your money.
I think, you'd be better off with a splitty bus that needs everything and slowly put it back on the road, if you are able - save some more cash, if you must.
We have a few busses, for the fun of it, but if you are a serious traveler, get a Ford with a Ford engine in it.
Our serious traveling-machine is a 2002 Ford E-150, purchased in 2005 wit V6, cruise, tilt, automatic with overdrive, wonderful a/c and real heat - it'll cruise at 80 all day long and still get 22 mpg.
Nice thing 'bout our WestFORDia is the VW splitty jalousie windows and VW Westy, Vanagon interior.
Granted - it's not a cool VW bus, but it is super reliable, super comfortable and has a/c to keep you cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

It’s a mixed bag. I had a Ford 2.3 in mine and it caused a few stupid issues when showing. My bus had a non-vw engine and was categorized with dune buggies/altered vehicles. I swapped to a vanagon engine to get those show organizers off my butt. It really wasn’t fair to show my bus in a category and get unearned trophies.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

Are you part VW mechanic and part Ford mechanic?

Because no VW shop will help you and a Ford mechanic will charge you for every minute it takes them to LEARN what is what.

Building a car to satisfy show organizers is the first clinically-recognized sign of dementia.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

Nick.Martir wrote:
Whats your view on buying a bus with a swapped engine. ( not a Subaru, but a Ford 2.8 v6) I want to get into my first bus project, nothing too serious though. Just looking for something that runs well and i can take to the beach and maybe camp out of. The bus I'm looking at is a 74 with a ford swap, for $3800. The price is right up my ally and the body looks in decent shape with a safari high top on it.

Just want to see what some VW enthusiast think about having a factory body with a ford engine. Will i be mocked by VW owners? will it even be worth it?

-Nick.

Just make sure that the engine you put in there has all the emission requirements for that year engine and the year of your car. Selling a car to a person or buying a car that has state emission testing ( Arizona for instance smog test cars back to 1967) can put you in a real bind.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW Bus with swapped engine, Whats your input? Reply with quote

I think I know the baywindow that you’re looking at. It’s been for sale for a long time. At least a year or more. From my understanding the people that that owned it built it for their disabled son and wanted more “power and reliability” than they felt the VW engine would afford them. I don’t have an opinion on the price other than I would imagine they are very negotiable considering the length of time it’s been for sale.

To anyone concerned about emissions, Florida did away with vehicle inspections in the late 70’s/early 80’s. No one here cares. They don’t even inspect them upon purchase unless they come from out of state and even then it’s just to verify the title matches the pan. They don’t even check the body vin. Very lax here.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: