Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mismatch engine and transmission. In need of clarification.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
caramel.pegasus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Mismatch engine and transmission. In need of clarification. Reply with quote

Hi! I want to get my rail running, but im hitting a lot of confusion as to what I need to complete the puzzle. Been reading and many people are trying to do the opposite of where im going.

I'd like to mate a ~1965 40 horse 6-VOLT engine to a 1971 manual bus transmission from a 12v.

I have the engine. Seems to be all stock. Flywheel measures about 7.25" / roughly 184mm on the inside part if im measuring it correctly.

I also have a 002 3 rib bus transmission.
I am missing clutch kit, and starter.

Is it possible for me to just pick up a 6v starter, put it in the 002 transmission, pick up a clutch kit for 1971 bus, and mate the engine w trans? or am I missing something?

I read talks about a bushings, does that also apply in this case?
https://twitter.com/aecii_3d
PART WANTED: Bell housing off a bus transmission to make a bench test stand. Preferably from a junked transmission. Message me how much you want for it. Paypal ready.

Last edited by caramel.pegasus on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatch engine and transmission. In need of clarification. Reply with quote

The starter had to match the flywheel: 6v starter to 6v flywheel, 12v starter to 12v flywheel.

What's the alternator? Even if you have a 6v starter/flywheel combo you can still run a 12v system, the 6v starter is built tough enough to take it.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatch engine and transmission. In need of clarification. Reply with quote

You could just get a 12v flywheel, clutch and starter and not worry about it.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatch engine and transmission. In need of clarification. Reply with quote

The 6v flywheel is 180mm, the 12 volt is 200mm. You can buy a new 200mm flywheel and bolt that on. You need a matching clutch disk and pressure plate. Make sure you get the correct matching pressure plate and throwout bearing. one style of plate has a disk that the throwout bearing rides on, another does not, also depends if the tranny has a guide tube for the throwout bearing. As mentioned, you can use the 6v starter with 12 volts, it just spins faster. You will have to change the bushing, they make conversion bushings. You can also buy a 12 volt starter for an autostick bug, and it will not use the bushing, its self supporting. you should be able to get one at any auto parts store. Of course you will need a 12 v generator and regulator, and coil, and charging light bulb (idiot light).
caramel.pegasus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatch engine and transmission. In need of clarification. Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
The 6v flywheel is 180mm, the 12 volt is 200mm. You can buy a new 200mm flywheel and bolt that on. You need a matching clutch disk and pressure plate. Make sure you get the correct matching pressure plate and throwout bearing. one style of plate has a disk that the throwout bearing rides on, another does not, also depends if the tranny has a guide tube for the throwout bearing. As mentioned, you can use the 6v starter with 12 volts, it just spins faster. You will have to change the bushing, they make conversion bushings. You can also buy a 12 volt starter for an autostick bug, and it will not use the bushing, its self supporting. you should be able to get one at any auto parts store. Of course you will need a 12 v generator and regulator, and coil, and charging light bulb (idiot light).

This is the transmission. Is that the guide tube you mention on there?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PART WANTED: Bell housing off a bus transmission to make a bench test stand. Preferably from a junked transmission. Message me how much you want for it. Paypal ready.

Last edited by caramel.pegasus on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatch engine and transmission. In need of clarification. Reply with quote

Just thinking about this, I may have given you wrong info wether the 6v starter gear fits the 200mm flywheel, not sure. you might be able to just use all your current 180mm stuff in the bus transaxle, with a bushing change, and the right kind of throwout bearing and throwout shaft. When I went to a bus trans in my buggy, I had to cut the trans input shaft down, as it was too long, wasnt a big deal.
caramel.pegasus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatch engine and transmission. In need of clarification. Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
Just thinking about this, I may have given you wrong info wether the 6v starter gear fits the 200mm flywheel, not sure. you might be able to just use all your current 180mm stuff in the bus transaxle, with a bushing change, and the right kind of throwout bearing and throwout shaft. When I went to a bus trans in my buggy, I had to cut the trans input shaft down, as it was too long, wasnt a big deal.

Id like to use what i have while deciding if to go ecotec route. Keeping expenses down while learning. How much did you have to trim? Would trimming the input shaft hinder future use of a different engine ? Thanks!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatch engine and transmission. In need of clarification. Reply with quote

You have late model throw out bearing in transaxle, 71 and later......

Pressure plate will not have ring on it...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatch engine and transmission. In need of clarification. Reply with quote

What motor was in the rail before? If it was a type 1 vw, then its probably been trimmed already.
caramel.pegasus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mismatch engine and transmission. In need of clarification. Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
What motor was in the rail before? If it was a type 1 vw, then its probably been trimmed already.

Unknown non-vw. I was told it was a v6 with an adaptor.

Dale M. wrote:
You have late model throw out bearing in transaxle, 71 and later......

Pressure plate will not have ring on it...

Dale

Thanks Dale! Very helpful as always.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: