Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 single cab brake upgrade
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

I am looking for a bang for your buck brake upgrade for a 1962 single cab and still be able to retain the stock 15in wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

How much is your buck and what is the bang you want? What do you have at present?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

Completely stock. Would like to retain the stock wheels. Something that is better than stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

There are the later bigger stock drum brakes from 64-67. The other route is discs up front. A number of vendors do those
Culito

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

Dual circuit is a must:
https://www.wagenswest.com/product/1955-67-bus-master-cylinder-kit/

There are other vendors and choices in products, but it's one of the easiest and most effective safety upgrades.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

Front disc brake thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475194&highlight=disc+brake
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

On my '59 panel I went with the CSP disc kit on the fronts from Wolfsburg West. Expensive, but I wanted a no hassle bolt up kit. I had a buddy install them and he said they went on like butter. Another buddy had luck recently with a less pricey kit from So. Cal Imports. He's a way better mechanic than I am, so if he had any headaches he's got the ability to re-engineer the problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the rears I was putting in a big nut RGB set up from a '66 so I got the benefit of larger brakes.

The braking on this rig improved significantly. The PO already installed a dual circuit MC.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

awesome, keep it coming. I was searching and not finding much for the early stuff
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

I've got 10 years of the CSP kit under my belt. They are great, self installed with no issues. Truck stops well and dead straight. They cost more than I originally paid for the truck, but worth every penny.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

Having the shoes arced to the drums getting close to 100% co tact gives better braking. If you look at Un-arced shoes often there is less than 50% shoe to drum contact.

You would have to find a brake shop that arcs shoes, and take the shoes and drums to them.

New shoes are made for good contact with new drums. Often drums have been turned several times, meaning not matching as well. The arcs are different.

The new drums and shoes matched great for my 69 beetle. 69 beetle drums are cheaper than 62 bus drums, though.

You are probably looking for someone to tell you to install disc brakes.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

Regarding the Wagenswest Rabbit master cylinder mentioned above: I started a thread as that product did not work for me.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678032&highlight=don66bus

I was hoping that someone who had installed that master cylinder could provide advice on which lines went where, in case that was the problem (as opposed to bad MC). No one ever volunteered that information to that thread.
ottovu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 single cab brake upgrade Reply with quote

So, I HATE drum brakes! And I have heard all the "if they are set up right" BS, for 40 years. This time they pull left, next time right...
So, for my 63 hack double cab Coco, I look at all the stuff avail. Im old enough to remember when EMPI was great stuff, I know it aint so much anymore. But, its HALF the price of most anything else! So, I bit. Installed in 2 hours, it all fit and worked first time around. And what an improvement in braking! I run 15in fake Fuchs, which work/clear perfectly. So, I say, if you are made of money, go for it! If not the Empi is just fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: