Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67CarGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Nice work! You're giving me some inspiration to finally get back to my own '67...

rcooled wrote:

On the other hand, if what the OP really wants is a project that'll take up all of his free time for a couple of years, relieve his bank account of many thousands of dollars and frustrate the living hell out of him, then this car is a good place to start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

67CarGuy wrote:
Nice work! You're giving me some inspiration to finally get back to my own '67...

Thank you! It’s not the best work, but it’s the first time I’m doing most of the things. Haha I am learning a lot, that’s for sure
•(__)•
(O\!/O) <--- supposed to look like a beetle Very Happy
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

For those who are curious...this most of what I've done so far...as well as an estimate of the total amount spent in parts (I don't have receipts anymore for spray paint, etc.) Also, the formatting is a bit confusing because I copy and pasted if from my excel spread sheet

1967 VW Beetle Log

Date/ Work Done/ Hours/ Price/ Place Purchased/ Side Notes

12/9/2018 Car Purchase Arrived at 2:15 $2,000 1st Owner: North Carolina, 2nd Owner: Kentucky, 3rd Owner: Fortville, IN (5 years), 4th Owner: Chip (1 Year)
12/10/18 Zip Tie Hack 15 min $0
12/16/18 ACDELCO Battery Install 15 min $84.99 Menards
12/22/18 Oil Change 1 Hour $23.30 Menards/NAPA
2/8/19 Parts Order $360.49 Jbugs
2/9/19 Engine Removal 1 Hour
2/9/19 Carburetor Rebuild 1.5 Hours $16.11 Jbugs
2/11/19 Engine Dissassembly 2 Hours
2/12/19 Engine Cleaning 1.5 Hours
2/13/19 Engine Cleaning 1 Hour
2/14/19 Engine Cleaning 2 Hours
2/16/19 Engine Cleaning 1 Hour
2/18/19 Sand Blasting Intake Manifold 1 Hour
2/21/19 Engine Seal Removal 1 Hour
2/25/19 Front Brake Rebuild 1 Hour $18.66 Jbugs
2/25/19 Oil Cap Gasket 5 Min $1.28 Jbugs
2/26-3/16/2019 Cleaned Pistons, Honed Cylinders, and Installed New Rings 4 Hours $17.95 Jbugs
3/16/19 Put Cylinders back togeather 1 Hour
3/22/19 Rebuilt/Installed Heads 30 Min $275 Head Solutions Inc.
3/22/2019-3/31/2019 Derusted and Spray Painted Engine Tins 8 Hours
4/1/19 Sand Blasted and Spray Painted Engine Tins 2 Hours
4/2/19 Added another coat to all engine tins, Derusted fan shroud 4 Hours
4/3/19 Wire Wheeled the Fan Shroud, Primed, and Added First Coat 6 Hours
4/4/19 Added two more coats to the fan shroud 3 Hours
4/6/19 Wire Wheeled/Derusted/Painted Heat Exchangers 3 Hours
4/7/19 Finished assembling engine, installed new spark plugs, removed transmission 6 Hours $9.96 O'Reily Auto Parts
4/10/19 Power washed transmission 30 min
4/15/19 Removed/correctly installed drive gear, replaced fuel pump flange and gaskets 30 min $18.49 Amazon/EMPI
4/15/19 Wolfsburg West Order $282.96 Wolfsburg West
4/17/19 Continued cleaning tranmission 1 Hour
4/19/19 Replaced spark plug wires 15 min NAPA
4/19/19 First engine start (issue was spark plugs not in right order) 2 Hours
4/20/19 Replaced swing axle boots 2.5 Hours
4/28/19 Replaced shocks, cleaned pressure plate, replaced clutch, replaced bearing hub seals 3 Hours
4/29/19 Replaced rear break pads, springs, and cylinder 45 min
5/12/19 Brake fluid flush 3 Hours
5/14/19 Replaced fuel pump rod housing thing
5/29/19 Fixed Fuel Pump Gauge/Master cylinder welds/First Drive 2 Hours
6/13/19 Started constructing body dolly 4 Hours
6/17/19 Finished constructing body dolly 2 Hours
6/18/19 Removed body from pan 6 Hours
6/26/19 Heightened body dolly 1 Hour
6/26/19 Wolfsburg West Order $737.19 Wolfsburg West
6/26/19 CIP1 Order $244.77 CIP1
7/23/19 Cut out battery tray section/Removed front and rear axels 4 Hours
7/26/19 Welded in new battery tray section and other chassis repairs 6 Hours
7/27-8/4/19 Sand Blasted Chassis 13 Hours
8/4/19-8/7/19 Primed Chassis 3 Hours
8/5/19 CIP1 Order $159.98 CIP1
8/15/19 Cut out quarter panel/heater channel/rear cross member 6 Hours
8/21/19 CIP1 Order $92.75 CIP1
9/22/19 Sand Blasted and Primed passenger side heater channel area 2 Hours
10/29/19 KlassicFab Order $550 KlassicFab
TOTAL HOURS: 113.5 TOTAL $: 2,821.39
•(__)•
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Well, this turned out to be a mess...I guess you live and you learn haha. I spray painted the inside of my KlassicFab Heater channels because there were a few areas that weren't painted very well. I used an extra 3 foot flexible spray paint hose that still had from Eastwood's "internal frame coating;" however, I didn't want to use that expensive paint. So, I went to Menards and found a spray paint that had a compatible head with the 3 ft hose and bought a couple cans of it. I made sure that everything was coated well, so I emptied a couple of cans in the heater channels. However, I didn't want the paint to be too thick and crack, so I poured out all of the excess paint that was in the heater channels. In hindsight, I shouldn't have used so much paint, but oh well...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I let them dry next to the heater for two hours.

•(__)•
robert hogaboam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Nice car. Great work you are doing. How old did you say you were. I have restored cars for 40 years and it is great to see a younger guy doing what your doing. 67 chevelle 68 912 67 bug 63 ragtop bug.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

robert hogaboam wrote:
Nice car. Great work you are doing. How old did you say you were. I have restored cars for 40 years and it is great to see a younger guy doing what your doing.

Thank you! I'm 18 but I'm definitely learning a lot.
•(__)•

Last edited by rstrobel on Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Yesterday, my brothers helped me weld in the heater channels. First, I had ordered the Klokkerholm heater channels, but I felt too bad putting them into the car, so I ordered the KlassicFab ones. The KlassicFab heater channels fit like a glove. I didn't have to do any modifications in the slightest. Before I could weld them in, however, I had to build another a different support structure. I built it so that I can hang the body from the middle rather than the front and rear. This allowed the doors to shut a little better.

However, the doors still didn't shut well, so I used a ratchet strap to adjust them better. Once they shut perfectly, I welded the heater channels in.

•(__)•
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

This is what the doors looked like before when I opened them one inch

This is what the door looks like now after the heater channel was welded in. The trim isn't lined up perfectly because the door is opened about an inch.

•(__)•
buggdude67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Very nice start to your project. I have always loved 67 VW anything. There's just something special about them. I was wondering what is the name of the original color, on your Bug.
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

buggdude67 wrote:
Very nice start to your project. I have always loved 67 VW anything. There's just something special about them. I was wondering what is the name of the original color, on your Bug.

Thank you! The original color is VW Blue (L633), but it was resprayed at some point. I don't think that the current color is a stock VW color; however, I want to buff the current paint just so I can see what it looks like. Very Happy I will be painting it VW Blue once all of the prep/metal work is completed.
•(__)•
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

You did really well with selecting and buying this '67 for that price, even with having to replace the rusted panels- a work in progress.

Quote:
5/29/19 Fixed Fuel Pump Gauge/Master cylinder welds/First Drive 2 Hours
How did the engine run after your piston and head repairs? Did you keep those extra-long studs for the exhaust at the rear of the heads? Confused

If you do send off for a birth certificate, realize that your dual-port engine is several years newer than the car itself. The BC would probably only mention that it is for a later car and not give the engine number of the actual unit with which the car was built. But don't worry- a well running 1600 dual port works well with the '67's transmission final drive ratio. If you are interested to find a 1500 "H" code engine down the road that would be more correct for the car, you can track down a range of engine codes from theSamba Technical section tab at the upper right of any page, find the month where your chassis# was built, and go 1 or 2 months before and after for engine codes. That way you can see if you'd be in the ballpark with such a range list for engines that come up for sale in ads or at swap meets.

Did you go to the VW meet in Mannheim? How did you enjoy traveling fast on the Autobahn?

I've never been up to the Herzogstand in Bavaria (Kochelsee/Walchensee) but have been to/crossed into the Bavarian Alps several times in the past 35 years. Lovely area. I also swam in the Walchensee; even in summer it was "this" cold.
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
You did really well with selecting and buying this '67 for that price, even with having to replace the rusted panels- a work in progress.

Thank you! Originally, he wanted $3,000, but he ended up coming down on the price.

Quote:
How did the engine run after your piston and head repairs? Did you keep those extra-long studs for the exhaust at the rear of the heads? Confused

I didn't replace the studs. I just reused the studs that were originally on the engine. However, I only ran the engine for about 15 min before putting it in storage. When it ran, everything sounded fine and it had plenty of power. I don't have much experience with engines, so if you could give advice that would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
If you do send off for a birth certificate, realize that your dual-port engine is several years newer than the car itself. The BC would probably only mention that it is for a later car and not give the engine number of the actual unit with which the car was built. But don't worry- a well running 1600 dual port works well with the '67's transmission final drive ratio. If you are interested to find a 1500 "H" code engine down the road that would be more correct for the car, you can track down a range of engine codes from theSamba Technical section tab at the upper right of any page, find the month where your chassis# was built, and go 1 or 2 months before and after for engine codes. That way you can see if you'd be in the ballpark with such a range list for engines that come up for sale in ads or at swap meets.

I found an engine for sale about an hour away from me. It has the correct code for my 11/66 Beetle. I am a bit skeptical about buying used engines. I still need to inform myself a bit more before looking for engines.

Quote:
Did you go to the VW meet in Mannheim? How did you enjoy traveling fast on the Autobahn?

Sadly, we did not end up going to the VW meet in Mannheim. Haha that's what happens when you travel with 8 people. However, we did go pretty fast on the Autobahn Very Happy . We rented a Skoda Octavia and Rapid. The Octavia maxed out at about 235 kmh and the Rapid maxed out at about 212 kmh. I really enjoyed driving over there because you don't have any left lane hogs.

Quote:
I've never been up to the Herzogstand in Bavaria (Kochelsee/Walchensee) but have been to/crossed into the Bavarian Alps several times in the past 35 years. Lovely area. I also swam in the Walchensee; even in summer it was "this" cold.
It's so pretty over there! Hiking up the mountains was a nice experience...especially when you get to enjoy an Apfelschorle at the top with an amazing view!
•(__)•
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

I was going through my camera roll the other day and found some additional pictures of the day where we purchased the beetle. It looked pretty good before the body was taken off Laughing

•(__)•
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

On the 19th it was my birthday, and I got this cool card!

•(__)•
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Because of this extended spring break due to COVID-19, I was able to get a little more work done on the '67.

I finally started to tackle the front clip hack job... Smile

I was able to source an original '67 front clip about two hours away from where I live. This will make replacing the front clip much easier, fitment-wise.

This is what the front clip looked like.

I originally thought that I would just use an oxyacetylene torch to melt the braze off, but upon further inspection I realized that cutting it off would be easier.

Once most of the metal was cut off, I was able to begin the removal process of the front quarter panel. Luckily, they only brazed the drip edge to the quarter panel in three places, so taking it off was no issue.

I used a metal rod with a sharpened tip and the oxyacetylene torch to unfold the drip edge. It was folded poorly by the PO, so I'll make sure to do a better job when I refold it.

I still had to undo the brazing close to the windshield. I used the oxyacetylene torch and was able to remove the fender within seconds. Laughing

Now, time to sandblast a few areas and reinstall the new front clip... Very Happy
•(__)•
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 VW Beetle Reply with quote

I haven't posted in quite some time; however, progress is still being made...

I started tackling the rear luggage tray area, since it is pretty rotted. Here are a few pictures after I did a little bit of sandblasting, so that I had an idea of what I was working with.

I disassembled the replacement section for the rear shock tower area, since the panels are not sprayed before they are welded together. This picture shows the rear portion of the replacement panel, as well as the original shock tower mount.

Before I replaced the rear shock tower replacement panel, I decided to tackle the rear cross members first. I again drilled out all of the spot welds in order to separate the panels. Also, since the "paint" that Klokkerholm uses is quite poor, I sandblasted and painted the metal.

The heater tube hole was also not correct, as it was originally oval. As such, I cut the original heater tubes out.

Then, I cut the flange off of the replacement panel and traced the original heater tubes. This created a perfect fit, allowing me to weld the tubes in.

Also, side-note, remember...rust spreads...even to the eye Laughing. Although I was wearing protective gear, a small piece of metal managed to get into my eye while I was grinding. This created a rust ring in my eye, causing me to have to visit the eye doctor numerous times.

While it was still a little cooler outside, I sandblasted and primed the front quarter panel in preparation for the front clip replacement.

•(__)•
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

Now that school is back in session, finding time and energy to work on the '67 is becoming more difficult.

Here is a little update, however...

After sandblasting and painting the front quarter panel, I tack-welded it back onto the car. Then, I slid the front clip on. This allowed me to get an idea of how it would fit and where I would need to cut. (I am making a YouTube video on this, since it isn't the easiest repair)

My sister got married this past weekend, so I washed my '93 Cabby and let them drive it. (dangerous move Laughing)

This is my other sister and I in the Cabby.

•(__)•
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

I have a tiny fleck of steel in my eye that turned to rust also from grinding about 12 years ago.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

TinCanFab wrote:
I have a tiny fleck of steel in my eye that turned to rust also from grinding about 12 years ago.

It was definitely an unpleasant experience...which is why I wear lab goggles now Very Happy
•(__)•
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Roman’s Rust Bucket ('67 Beetle) Reply with quote

Now that I am on winter break, I am able to work on the '67 again. My plan is to finish the rear shock tower, rear luggage tray, and rear quarter panel area before summer break. Then, I'll only have the front and rear clip to do.

I ground down some welds on the heater channel end cap.

Then I painted the area.

I also purchased a front beam, since mine is too rusty for my liking Very Happy

•(__)•
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: