Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fresh Air Fan on 74 Super....
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Fresh Air Fan on 74 Super.... Reply with quote

Hello, I am here to do an inquiry on how often is it known that the "Fresh Air Fan" goes out on the Super Beetles?

My fuse is good, all things working there, not blowing fuses when actuating it..

And this is the one that is up by the wiper motor, though there is only one Fresh Air Fan that is Switched...

So, just wondering, since they are prone to water, are they known to malfunction?

Thanks for your time, it was working a while back, but noticed when servicing some circuits that it was not coming on.. RB
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Fan on 74 Super.... Reply with quote

Check the contact on the switch. I thought mine was gone a while back, so I removed the switch and cleaned the contacts and it now works perfectly on both speeds.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Fan on 74 Super.... Reply with quote

Any car part that’s forty-five years old can fail. Including our fresh-air fans, of course. The two-speed fan in my ‘74 Super Beetle runs fine at both speeds, although, I rarely use it. But, who knows how often the previous owners did.

Why not remove the switch (not an easy task on the 1973 and on Super Beetles) and jump the wires with a jumper and alligator clips. If, after supplying power the fan doesn’t operate, then your fan is kaput. If it works, your switch needs replacement.

Get a good used one from the Samba Classifieds.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
fustilarsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Fan on 74 Super.... Reply with quote

My daughter's wouldn't spin, so we started disassembly. Found that the fan vibration bushings were shot, but that didn't seem fatal. The fan just wouldn't spin. So (rightfully or wrongfully) I shot it a couple of times with WD40, spun it by hand, hooked it up to the wiring harness and it worked just fine. Squeaks from time to time (so maybe I used the wrong kind of lubricant?), but it spins pretty well now and other facets of the project are calling, so I think I'll leave it alone (ignoring VW_Jimbo's signature line).

(Wondering if I should replace those broken vibration bushing with a quad of these...)
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Fan on 74 Super.... Reply with quote

Yea, have yet to mess with it for the Fresh Air Box is sealed and my car is not leaking, lol... So, thinking what angle to take.. Thanks for the input.. RB
bug1000000000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Fan on 74 Super.... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How would you get at the electrical contacts to apply power from a 12v source?
Do you have to pop the clips alongside and pull apart two halves?
Thanks!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Fan on 74 Super.... Reply with quote

bug1000000000 wrote:
How would you get at the electrical contacts to apply power from a 12v source?

Instead of working on the motor end, look at the switch end of the wiring. Remove the wires from the switch, ID the black #30 wire. This is the 12v INPUT wire. The other two (OUTPUT) wires are #33f (slow) and #33b (high). Use a jumper wire and connect #30 to each of the OUTPUTS one at a time while the ignition switch is ON/RUN. This should cause the motor to spin up. This test bypasses the blower switch and directly powers the motor wires using the jumper. You could also test the #30 wire for 12v+ to make sure the fuse is passing voltage to the wire/plug.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
bug1000000000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Fan on 74 Super.... Reply with quote

Thanks, will do!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: