Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring in the tunnel of Automatic Stick Shift Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Spring in the tunnel of Automatic Stick Shift Beetle Reply with quote

When I was disassembling my 1973 Beetle, Inside the tunnel under the shift coupler, I see this spring hooked to a tab welded to the bottom of the tunnel. The other end of the spring looks like it may have been hooked to a clamp on the shift rod. The car was formerly an Automatic stick shift. (All the autostick parts were gone when I bought it.) I've taken apart quite a few Bugs and never saw a spring there before. Never saw one mentioned here on the SAMBA either. Searching turned up nothing.

It looks to me like the spring puts tension on the shift rod keeping it rotated. Do any of you AS owners have that spring?

thanks;
Mike T

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See the clamp behind the shift coupler.

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Spring in the tunnel of Automatic Stick Shift Beetle Reply with quote

My autostick had that spring before I converted it to 4 speed.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring in the tunnel of Automatic Stick Shift Beetle Reply with quote

My '70 has it installed. There's a diagram on the thread below regarding a '68 that has it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Edit: I knew I had a pic somewhere. It gave me quite a bit of trouble getting it reconnected.

Last edited by Raymond73 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring in the tunnel of Automatic Stick Shift Beetle Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Now that I know what they're called I have found several threads with explanations. Funny, I have a 5 gallon bucket full of misc nuts, bolts etc. from all the VW's that have passed through my hands over the decades. Items 18, 19, 20 are in that bucket. The ones from my current '73 will get tossed in that bucket too.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Spring in the tunnel of Automatic Stick Shift Beetle Reply with quote

I used to run the spring on the 4 speed too. It makes shifts from 2nd to 3rd a matter of simply pushing the shifter forward. But downshifting took a little more thought to counteract the spring. Made it a little harder for those unaware to get the car into 1st gear.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: