Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Elevated Concrete Slab Garage?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

so i gotta ask... what is beneath it on the first floor? occupied living area? another garage? are there penetrations from second floor to first (think fuel tank leak)? what is the egress from that first floor?

unless there are absolutely no alternatives for a garage, i'd consider turning it into a workshop or other space. structually, i would think it would be fine, it's spillage of fuel that would concern me. depending upon design, that first floor may be a confined space and create a truly explosive environment.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Was waiting for pics first,,,,,
Dunno if this is appropriate to the situation.
Not ideal if the local building inspector rents the apartment below.

================

OK here's a cowboy approach.
Load-test it to 11,500 lbs?
Rent this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You will need a truck that can tow 12,000 lbs. A 2500-series or F250 etc can tow 12,000 lbs.
    Rent a dump trailer like the one shown. ($200 for 4 hours?)
    Buy 3 yards of gravel (2835 lbs/yd * 3 = 8500 lbs) cost appx $35 per yard?

Total weight (with trailer weight 3,000 lbs) is 11,500 lbs.
This is more than twice the weight of a Vanagon.

Put the truck in 4WD low, set the locker, and back that sucker onto your garage slab.
....ready to rocket outta there if your capable assistant reports any signs that the slab can't hold it.
Leave it hanging there as long as you are comfortable.

If you have a need for 3 yds of gravel onsite (or know someone who does) this method becomes fairly economical. Especially if you can borrow a truck or trailer.

Park Vanagon on slab.
Spend $$ on something you need.
Sleep well.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Bonus: if it doesn't hold insurance will cover the damages. Very Happy Shocked Laughing

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

OK here's a cowboy approach.

I like it!

But a way to do it with less risk would be to get one of those above ground inflatable swimming pools and fill it on the deck, with a bit of math/measuring it would be easy to get to whatever weight you wanted, and there would be no risk of having your buddies truck yanked backwards off a drop by a 12,000 pound trailer that just fell through a recently collapsed elevate concrete slab Shocked

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

I have an "elevated" concrete garage floor
Flexicore was used
it was engineered to hold the weight of 15k lbs (3 car garage)
I do like the Pool method for a test
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

If you have a use for 6 yds of gravel could do 3 incremental tests, 1+2+3yds

For the pool method:
Water: 10,000 lb / 8.1 lb/gal = 1234.56789 (!) gallons
Water: 10,000 lb / 62.4 lb/cu ft = 160 cu ft = 8’ x 10’ x 2’ deep
or appx 10’ diameter x 2ft deep

Or get 50 200lb humans.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Oh yea. Kiddy pool test is best. Failure will be spectacular and all the evidence will wash away. Pull the pool plastic away and tell them you don’t know what happened. I’m laughing so hard I should be indited!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

So OP do you feel lucky? Do you punk?

All kidding aside the test until failure comments are valid but BS in a world where you need a permit. What world are you in?

And what do you do if you do those tests and drop that slab into the basement?
(Folks this is not the same as saying change your fuel lines to a
new bus owner.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Wait a minute. I assumed that there was a no access crawl space under the slab. A couple of possibilities. With a water lever--hose--you can check the thickness of the slab. That doesn't mean it is reinforced, but a start. Then if you can get underneath, why not just add a bunch of columns under where the wheels will go combined with a beam to distribute the load. 2x's will do just fine. Any pasted together 2x8, 10, or 12's should be oriented vertically. Wedges hammered in at the bottom where there needs to be a pad should take care of it just fine. If the columns height is over 4', I would double the 2x4 posts. Assuming the space under the slab is not currently important or useful.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Whats underneath? Did I miss that part?

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Still waiting to get some pics. There is an unfinished, low ceiling, storage, workshop area underneath the elevated slab. It is not living space. The upper level of the garage is at grade with the alley behind the house, the lower level at grade with the back yard. So, it looks like the lower level of the structure is also acting as a retaining wall on the slope.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Quote:
so i gotta ask... what is beneath it on the first floor

First floor has a whole collection of Split Minivans, so no big loss if it falls.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
Its an elevated concrete slab in a two story building, held up by railroad steel on concrete blocks with lally columns in the center.

Lots of ways to make this hold a Vanagon. And lots of ways to proof it.

Especially if you don’t mind adding columns in the floor below.
The existence of lally posts below suggests someone was concerned about the strength. Their existence might be what tipped off the structural engineer as they can yell out “look at me, I’m a band-aid!” They also can be removed and who would ever know? The guy backing the trailer in might be the first to find out. And whats the lally post sitting on? 3 inches of concrete hollowed below by rodents? That’s why a structural engineer might back away (wisely) as its “his arse” once he stamps.

Could put more (temporary) lally posts below (4x4s) with 1/16” clearance to the slab above. Then start adding test weight to the upper floor. If the gap doesn’t close at 10,000 lbs that’s “concrete proof” Wink that it’s vanagon sufficient, and then remove the temporary posts. But its not a stamp.

Also I’d wanna see those lally columns, make sure they’re secure and inviolable etc (permanent). Not a bunch of sistered 2x4s. Theres all kinda advice available for these kind of assessments. Good, bad, wasteful, prudent, un-aesthetic, under-cautious, over-cautious, fireproof?, and ....ending with “engineers stamp of approval”.

A big question here is, “Is an engineer stamp required?” If yes then the cowboy stuff is out. If no stamp required, there are lots of ways to make it vanagon safe and prove it (to yourself).

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 am; edited 3 times in total
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Post beams and lally columns. Just do it, you will be fine. Don't even bother with the 1/16" gap. Since you will have the posts underneath anyway to carry any deflection, there will be no flexing stress put on the slab by having them tight against the underside.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

The “1/16 gap” is only for adding posts for the proof testing only. Its purpose is to indicate deflection due to “the test weight”. And the post becomes a safety limiter during the test, for the case where the 1/16” gap closes up. If there’s no deflection, theres no post required (in that location). Test weight of 2x vanagon 8,000 lbs? 10k? is probably sufficient to make a good decision.

For the “permanent” columns, fireproof posts might be a prudent choice. 6x6 (oversized) wood is not fireproof per se.... oversized wood often used simply because the un-burnt core retains its compressive strength for a longer period (provides more time for the fire truck to arrive). Steel becomes a noodle when red-hot, so it has to be protected from fire, (usually by concrete).

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Is this the Ferrari "shed" from Ferris Beuler's Day Off?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Tully Mars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

As someone who has renovated 4 old warehouse buildings into Lofts.. I have some experience with this.
You can have the slabs Xrayed to show the layout and size of the rebar... if any.. Should be some. The earlier concrete structure buildings were built around 1920. But it was several years before they came up with deformed rebar like we use today. The early bars were smooth and did not have great mechanical connection with the concrete.
You can have core drills done of the concrete and have them tested for compressive strength. Put this together with the details on the "I-beams" a structural engineer can calculate the load capacity.
It will not be cheap to have this done..

This building was load bearing exterior walls but interior was concrete columns and slabs.. cast in place.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz8swHo5FQuFMjF4TjBsWTI2QWM/view
_______
84 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Hobie Cow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Is this the Ferrari "shed" from Ferris Beuler's Day Off?

I wish. Razz
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

You want to do what is termed NDT, non distructive testing. Your engineer should know someone who can come xray or use ground penetrating radar to find the reinforcement pattern

Is this a single bay, or is it a 2 car garage?
Is the distance between the columns similar to the distance from the colum line to the side walls?

The issue with parking on it is the tires provide concentrated load points, and I have seen crap parking garages with holes blown in the deteriorating slab from cars parked. The slab reinforcing mesh rusts, expands, causing cracks in slab and so the slab is no longer cohesive. Weight of car 'punches' a hole in the slab.

The pool idea is great, but it is putting a static uniform load on the slab, not a moving load like a vehicle. I'd be concerned about having a safety factor, and unintended "test to failure".

Of course, you could just say screw it, and pull into your garage, because it was built to be one.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Elevated Concrete Slab Garage? Reply with quote

Post pictures of the garage so we can see it.

I own a two-level garage/building built in the 1920's. The lower level is below grade so I have a garage door in the upper and lower. The upper floor is 10 inches set on its 50-foot span w/ 30" huge steel beams and concrete w/ column in the middle. The building was a machine/steel shop in the upper and lower.

The foundation is poured concrete and concrete columns support the edges of the beams. It is built like a bridge on its upper floor. The building has bricks all around. This garage is my pride and joy. It even has a deep well inside and sewer, 3-phase line, gas line.

It was grain storage too back in the day when they stopped building Model T Fords in it. The inspector said it is a nice building. It will be there long after I am gone. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: