Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ???
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? This is what I use on my 1971 Convertible; but I've owned it since 1976.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

Not original but atleast 30 years old, pretty worn out lol.

Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

My original is long gone...But I still have
the wrench for emergency's Laughing '73 Bug

Do they still have the original VW blanks
4 sale?

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

Original with 480,000 miles with rare factory cover. left
Factory blanks (middle 2)

Evil Clown wrote:
Do they still have the original VW blanks 4 sale?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=739388

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

Since this is about keys far right with leather fob came from a 54 bug I got about three years ago. Former owner a telephone lineman owned from 1967 through mid 2000s until he died, he keep everything. Other keys are what I have left from a full coffee can a few years ago. Was able to try a handful and get one to work Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

Moderator's note: If you post a picture, make sure we can't see the serial number.

Someone could make a copy from that number.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

Fortunate to have my original 57 Ghia keys and also both of my 62 beetle keys... I found the spare beetle key under the rubber mat when I first found the car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

I won't post pics, but I have original keys from my (formerly my dad's) '71 Fastback.

I still have original keys from my old '67 Bug, the one that was stolen. Hope springs eternal...
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Moderator's note: If you post a picture, make sure we can't see the serial number.

Someone could make a copy from that number.

Just the picture is enough, there's even an app that'll generate a locksmith code - https://www.key.me/

Old keys to long lost cars, sure, but be careful posting your current keys guys..
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

To answer the OP's question, I do- with 3 beetles and my Thing.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

I posted about this before, but I still have the key to the '62 Beetle I learned to drive in, back in 1964/1965.

I keep it as a souvenir.

I'm not worried about anyone making a new key -- the car was totaled in an accident in 1970 and is long gone. Wink

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

My '63 Squareback has the original keys but it's pretty low mileage so not a surprise.

My old '54 Truck had the original keys

My '55 Bus has the original ignition key, similar to the tiny '54 key seen above.
Door key is long gone but I have an NOS blank for it. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

Older American cars sore out their keys and locks, and so many of them could be started with a this screwdriver... I had an old Buick without a key and that trick got it started reliably! Just left it in the glovebox.
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

I still have and use the original door/ignition key for my 1970. I also have and use the original glove box key too.
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

Both Bugs, the 70 and 77, have their original keys! I have made copies to use. Figure I will pass on the originals and the copies at some point soon!

Finally have a few moments to get all the keys for these two and post them up. The second one in from the right is an odd one. Came with the 77. Never have I seen one like it before!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

This game's easy, so can't leave it alone!

Original works better than the copy made by PO, so it's the one we use most often... Also an old looking key fob, no idea where they got that from, but it's cool.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

Don't have pic in front of me, but got original key in storage with the Thng.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

What a coincidence I was just talking about VW keys with my husband this weekend.
My grandpa owned the local VW dealership when we were kids, about '55 to '74. I was telling my husband about the small parts box on Grandpa's desk that was full of old keys from wrecked bugs, ghias and buses that passed through the shop--in case someone needed one. I liked the play with those keys--they smelled of nickel and greaasy dust and it lingered on my hands.

I particularly loved these kinds--what beautiful shapes! I think I'buy one and make a necklace or maybe just decorations for my key chain.

Also--I still use the original key set that came with our Beetle. They look the same as Cusser's
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? This is what I use on my 1971 Convertible; but I've owned it since 1976.

A couple more decades of use and that key ring will wear the hole all the way to the outer edge. Smile
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: How many here still have and use the original factory VW key ??? Reply with quote

Still use the original on my daily '60! The other key the old owner told me she hid from her husband so well she couldn't find it. Awhile back someone posted an add for a bunch of NOS OG factory keys and fortunately had my key so now I have 2 again Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: