Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare tire cable & lock?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Spare tire cable & lock? Reply with quote

My dad's '71 Fastback, bought new in Canoga Park, CA, has always had a 1/8 - 1/4" thick cable (covered in clear plastic to protect the paint) with a "Master" brand key lock on it, looped around the vertical support in the tire well, and through the wheel disc center. Oddly, another '71, this one a Squareback bought in Saugus, CA, had the same setup (different key, of course).

The cable was JUST long enough for the tire to still be lifted out and set on the crossmember with the hood latch, so you could easily check tire pressure without having to unlock it.

I am wondering if it was a dealer or distributor item. It doesn't appear on the window sticker, and god knows they put the world on those things! (I'm surprised they don't list a steering wheel as "standard equipment").

I always assumed this was factory, but an American lock on it? Unlikely.

Anyone else seen this?

The thread about keys made me remember this. I always had the door/ignition key, the glovebox key, and this tire cable key, always together.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire cable & lock? Reply with quote

yes, they were available through the dealer, I have seen it on beetles

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire cable & lock? Reply with quote

Dang did people used to steal spare tires?

Maybe it's a remnant from the bad old days of the '80s and '90s
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire cable & lock? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Dang did people used to steal spare tires?

A full size spare is a full size wheel. Easy to take if not locked down. Ask Jeep owners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire cable & lock? Reply with quote

It always seemed redundant to me. You can't open the frunk if the glovebox is locked, and the later models didn't fill the tank from under the lid anyway. So if you can lock the glovebox, the spare is safe... why the extra cable?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire cable & lock? Reply with quote

If you can pull my spare tire out of the well, you can have it! You also become King of England Laughing
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire cable & lock? Reply with quote

early cars didn't have glovebox locks and it's inconvenient to keep them locked anyways...

It's real easy to open a vent wing, reach in and pop the hood. It's even easier to pop a hood when it's not your car and you don't care about denting/destroying the hood

yes - people used to steal tires and gas. now they steal mail...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: