Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! Not such a great engine stand deal.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cainibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

Purchased an engine stand that I thought had the correct adapter......whhhaa, whhhhaaa. No bueno, the mounting holes are about a 1/4 inch short. Please understand still kinda new at air cools. It seems that the diameter of the adapter base is only 1 7/8” pipe. Here lies the problem, the stand looked professional built(probably as old as my bus), but now I cannot find an adapter that fits. Please HELP.!!!!! Note the engine is a dual 1600, not OG. Just wanted to give all the info. Thanks for any help!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

Did you try mounting the stand to the upper and lower mounting points on the engine, or just with the lower mounting points? They are designed to use the upper and lower mounting points on one side of the engine, so that you can split the case halves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

Drill a new hole? ...
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
Did you try mounting the stand to the upper and lower mounting points on the engine, or just with the lower mounting points? They are designed to use the upper and lower mounting points on one side of the engine, so that you can split the case halves.

Ditto-you are using the side to side ones not upper and lower.
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

What they said.

The engine splits down the middle. If you were to bolt the stand arms across the bottom of the engine you wouldn't be able to split the case open. It mounts to one side and in specific the side with the distributor and fuel pump.
Cainibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:

I did and they don't line up. I was wondering because of the small base pipe diameter, I am struggling to find find one that will work. So was wondering if someone had one, one for sale, or where I can find one. Not sure if the stand is a frankensteiner. Thanks
Spike0180 wrote:
Drill a new hole? ...

There is not enough material left to drill into, if it where that simple I wouldn't have asked. Thanks though, have to ask the obvious first. Just trying to save this stand and not have to buy a new set up.
Thanks
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

I’m sure you can still buy a “bench mounting” stand in any of the VW specialty shops around. Then have the base welded to your stand. Cool
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

if only 1/4" then just bend the arms.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

like this, and yes, bend if needed

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

FWIW, 25hp through 2 l engine bolt up to a tranny the same.
While something that strength could work, I like a more heavy duty engine stand.

here are some threads: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

a big dedicated thread on engine stands: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=288599

Here is a 313 engine stand:

Cainibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
like this, and yes, bend if needed

That is an obvious solution I didn't think of, see if I can even pull this off. Sorry sometimes the obvious is.missed. Give it a shot tonight. Thanks! If I can bend big duh on me!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

Notes on engine stand yokes:

- I like the ones from VW Alley. They fit a Harbor Freight stand.
- The 3 arm one works well for engine assembly, but the center arm can interfere with the engine sheet metal. The 4 arm unit is better because you can trim the center area to clear the sheet metal, in needed.
- the important point of any yoke is to have sufficient steel area against the engine case to distribute the load out, so that it isn't all concentrated at the mounting holes. More area is better! Do avoid using generic adjustable arm yokes. They're designed for cast iron engine blocks. No load spreading whatsoever.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
FWIW, 25hp through 2 l engine bolt up to a tranny the same.

or bigger

I like a 4 wheel stand better, no problems with a drain pan, and feels better when working on something more expensive
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

What is that extra thing near the left (in the original posted photo) flange?

That looks correct just (like they^^^said) bent 1/4". It is a pretty common 3-point stand. It knocks down for storage. They are tippy but work. I have that same one.
Cainibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

One vice + one torch + 2 cinch straps = Fixed!!!!
Thanks again for the advice!
Cainibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Not such a great engine stand deal. Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What is that extra thing near the left (in the original posted photo) flange?

That looks correct just (like they^^^said) bent 1/4". It is a pretty common 3-point stand. It knocks down for storage. They are tippy but work. I have that same one.

It's a latch to lock in the flywheel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: