Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help to figure something out..1600 on a low light
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanadianVWboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Help to figure something out..1600 on a low light Reply with quote

When I bought the 58 Lowlight it came with a 1600DP
the muffler was high, high enough that the pea shooter ends were rubbing on the lower part of the bumper.
At first, I thought the bumper was not straight and I fixed that.
I also bought a new 1600 muffler as the old ones have holes and cracks and i thought it might have been also crooked.
When I installed the new muffler it was still high and I also check the transmission mount and it seems ok
What could cause this?
Does anybody have experience?
I would change back to period correct engine and trans but that would be a couple of years from now and would like to run what I have while I collect the right parts.
-69 Brasilia -63 ghia
-69 beetle
Current vws
-54 oval semaphore
-58 lowlight ghia
-60 15w deluxe bus
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help to figure something out..1600 on a low light Reply with quote

A 58 would have had a 36 horse motor. When someone replaced with the 1600 they may have also swapped in a later trans.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
CanadianVWboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help to figure something out..1600 on a low light Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
A 58 would have had a 36 horse motor. When someone replaced with the 1600 they may have also swapped in a later trans.

yes the trans was also replaced could this cause the higher engine location?
-69 Brasilia -63 ghia
-69 beetle
Current vws
-54 oval semaphore
-58 lowlight ghia
-60 15w deluxe bus
d5626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help to figure something out..1600 on a low light Reply with quote

Correct bus nosecone/mount installed on front of trans?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help to figure something out..1600 on a low light Reply with quote

Try to move the bumper up a little by redrilling the brackets or heating the muffler by the pea shooters and bend them down for clearance. The whole car probably was converted to 12 volts I would guess.
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help to figure something out..1600 on a low light Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Try to move the bumper up a little by redrilling the brackets or heating the muffler by the pea shooters and bend them down for clearance. The whole car probably was converted to 12 volts I would guess.

This is terrible advice! Don’t do a hack job! I’m with D5626. Make sure you have the correct bus nose cone and front mount in addition to good motor mounts. The pea shooters should hit the apron before the bumper. WTF does the cars voltage have to do with any of this?

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help to figure something out..1600 on a low light Reply with quote

CerveloMikey wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

This is terrible advice! Don’t do a hack job! I’m with D5626. Make sure you have the correct bus nose cone and front mount in addition to good motor mounts. The pea shooters should hit the apron before the bumper.

WTF does the cars voltage have to do with any of this?

Well smart ass, He said he was going to go back to 36 hp THAT's 6 volt. Learn to read the whole post. If He posted a pic of the problem it would be easer to give him a direction to go in.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help to figure something out..1600 on a low light Reply with quote

A quick reminder that you all should abide by the forum rules. Have a read here... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rocket280
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help to figure something out..1600 on a low light Reply with quote

It needs a bus nose cone on the late transmission to work. An adapted mount was once available for a latter nose cone and it made the engine sit high like you are describing.
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help to figure something out..1600 on a low light Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
CerveloMikey wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

This is terrible advice! Don’t do a hack job! I’m with D5626. Make sure you have the correct bus nose cone and front mount in addition to good motor mounts. The pea shooters should hit the apron before the bumper.

WTF does the cars voltage have to do with any of this?

Well smart ass, He said he was going to go back to 36 hp THAT's 6 volt. Learn to read the whole post. If He posted a pic of the problem it would be easer to give him a direction to go in.

Still don’t see what the voltage has to do with anything. The 1600DP could easily have a 6v generator and the 36HP could have a rewound 12v Porsche generator. @sputnick60, if that was directed toward me, ban me now because I don’t want to be any part of a group that gives terrible hack job advice!

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: