Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seattle or Denver?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

I'm an East Coast guy, tons more interesting history and sites.
Last time i was in Denver was for a college buddy's wedding up in the mountains just west of the city, in Georgetown. The bride's dad and I got to talking and he had made it big in real estate and asked if I wanted to stay out there and work for him. Ugh, one of the biggest mistakes of my life to say no to that

Fun fact about Casa Bonita, they used to have two other locations, one in Tulsa Ok and one in my hometown of Little Rock Ark. for some god only knows reason. The one in Little Rock burned down decades ago. The one in Tulsa stayed open until just about 7-8 years ago I think. Neither had the cliff divers though (I didn't find out about those until years later- imagine my surprise when the South Park episode popped up)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

Im with Cusser, Durango is a nice visit. Instead of going to the Big City, why not fly into ABQ and drive up to DGO? Then you could see Mesa Verde and also have fun on the train to Silverton.Spend a day or overnight on an astounding drive to Telluride or Ouray for the hot springs. Whatever. I just don't like staying in one city for the whole week, I've done this trip and it's great.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

Don’t stay in either city. As stated before, cities suck.

Being an airplane guy... Seattle would be more interesting. They have an SR71 at the Boeing field museum with no railings, Kennedy’s Air Force one, #1 737, a concord and all the regular WWII planes. AND we’re getting the apollo space shuttle while they’re remodeling the smithsonian... it’s a great aviation city. Take the wifey out to Snoqualmie falls for a swanky dinner and then haul her through the 2 separate airplane museums, lake Washington pontoon plane tour and end with the Boeing factory tour Wink

Oh.. and we have a bunch of nature stuff apparently
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

Oh.. and we have a bunch of nature stuff apparently

Laughing
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

At this point we may not be able to do this trip after all. The reason is I’m not sure I can afford to use my vacation time at work. We are going to New Orleans and Mexico in the next couple months.

My wife would very much like to go to Denver though. Mostly because there’s a concert at the Red Rock we’d love to attend. We never had plans to just stay in Denver. I was just where we’d fly into. The plan was to get a car and head up into the mountains.

I’ll take closer look at my remaining vacation time on the books but right now it looks like we will need to put this trip off for the year. Thanks to everyone for their input
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rarefinds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
At this point we may not be able to do this trip after all. The reason is I’m not sure I can afford to use my vacation time at work. We are going to New Orleans and Mexico in the next couple months.

My wife would very much like to go to Denver though. Mostly because there’s a concert at the Red Rock we’d love to attend. We never had plans to just stay in Denver. I was just where we’d fly into. The plan was to get a car and head up into the mountains.

I’ll take closer look at my remaining vacation time on the books but right now it looks like we will need to put this trip off for the year. Thanks to everyone for their input

Ah darn!!! Too bad that you are changing your plans! I'da suggested that you make your trip to Denver mostly because I live here and that makes the place pretty cool! Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Ehh ...been to Seattle...not so cool ...I don't live there....gots family there tho.....they're pretty cool... but they don't own any VW's Razz
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

rarefinds wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Ah darn!!! Too bad that you are changing your plans! I'da suggested that you make your trip to Denver mostly because I live here and that makes the place pretty cool! Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Ehh ...been to Seattle...not so cool ...I don't live there....gots family there tho.....they're pretty cool... but they don't own any VW's Razz

I know a guy in Denver who has a couple of those Low-nose Carmen Gias.
Porch motors in 'em---------they bolt right in you know
rarefinds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
rarefinds wrote:
aeromech wrote:

I 've been told that those cars don't exist and that they were hacked together from a couple of early 914's ......Has anyone here actually witnessed their existence?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

rarefinds wrote:
iowegian wrote:
rarefinds wrote:
aeromech wrote:

I 've been told that those cars don't exist and that they were hacked together from a couple of early 914's ......Has anyone here actually witnessed their existence?

I know a guy who's kid claims to of seen 'em, and they ain't 914s.
914 had it's motor in the middle, and these have their motor all the way in the back just like a Porch
rarefinds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
rarefinds wrote:
iowegian wrote:
rarefinds wrote:
aeromech wrote:

I know a guy who's kid claims to of seen 'em, and they ain't 914s.
914 had it's motor in the middle, and these have their motor all the way in the back just like a Porch

Hiya Chuck!
How's things in Iowaay?? Hope alls well for you and your better half !
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

Got family in a suburb of Denver. There about every other year for a week or so. I like to go shooting up in the mountains, but that is all I have found to do there.

If you like hiking, there are some great sights to be seen. Pack something for lunch and get out and hike. Take a side arm with you, never know what you may run into.

Got family up in Portland that we see every so often, and only in the summer time. During a visit up there, we took a trip to Seattle for a few days. Not much to do. Drank a cup of coffee at the original Starbucks but that is all I found. I am sure there is more!

I can speak for Portland. They have several good breweries and also a Beer Theatre!!! That was cool!

When ever me and the wife go on vacation for just us, we love Maui! Highly recommend it! Good food, sunshine, great surf and hiking all over the place!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
rarefinds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Got family in a suburb of Denver. There about every other year for a week or so. I like to go shooting up in the mountains, but that is all I have found to do there.

If you like hiking, there are some great sights to be seen. Pack something for lunch and get out and hike. Take a side arm with you, never know what you may run into.

Got family up in Portland that we see every so often, and only in the summer time. During a visit up there, we took a trip to Seattle for a few days. Not much to do. Drank a cup of coffee at the original Starbucks but that is all I found. I am sure there is more!

I can speak for Portland. They have several good breweries and also a Beer Theatre!!! That was cool!

When ever me and the wife go on vacation for just us, we love Maui! Highly recommend it! Good food, sunshine, great surf and hiking all over the place!

Yea....Colorado is a dump...you shouldn't come here. NUTHIN to do but take a hike in the hills. Rolling Eyes There's a crapload of stuff to do here. Iffin you're comparing it to Maui that's apple's and oranges. Heck....I love Maui too! But the summertime here is hard to beat! I'd make up a list of things for you to do next time you make the trip here but I'm kinda busy with doing stuff right now.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

Vacation - what is that? Laughing

I am overdue for a nice one. Thought of SC and do some shrimping. Or maybe some wild hog hunting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle or Denver? Reply with quote

Hey dum dum. Screw that. Fly to Portland and stay at my place 3 hrs away to Seattle. Or you could stay at my place in Olympia about an hour outside Seattle. Plus you could borrow my Subaru or bus. Either way you could hit Seattle if you feel the need and it would be much cheaper. Both Seattle and Denver are cool (For cities) Portland just a big town version of both. Oh and if you decide Portland, you can meet a lot of your Samba buddy’s even if it’s not a Monday.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...96687b3bec

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: