Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AFM replacement wiper board
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

well... this arrived today:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

haven't tried it yet. at least the holes and pads line up. got it from here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CIRCUIT-BOARD-MAF-...3c00VpaE9D

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
well... this arrived today:

looks like it has been calibrated - notice the soldering between the far right pads. i wonder how these were aligned and if the carbon is logarithmic across the range.

BiWerks Design, LLC
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

and the resistor pads have been laser cut.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

The ad says:

Quote:
Before you place order , please check the part number of your original sensor is :

025906301C

Part number is on the surface of your original sensor

Did you find one of those p/n on your original sensor?
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

they even have a complete AFM... I wonder if it's any good...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAF-MASS-AIR-FLOW-...48deea806b
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
The ad says:

Quote:
Before you place order , please check the part number of your original sensor is :

025906301C

Part number is on the surface of your original sensor

Did you find one of those p/n on your original sensor?
Good question....
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

in my photo, you can see "Bourns" and ...9006... so there is a PN on it. i COULD go out to the garage and look but we're in the middle of a blizzard.

Bourns is a maker of excellent quality potentiometers. the carbon track on this China one is what i would worry about over the long term... just how resistant it is to wear. it looks to have a more matte finish than the OEM.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
in my photo, you can see "Bourns" and ...9006... so there is a PN on it. i COULD go out to the garage and look but we're in the middle of a blizzard.

Bourns is a maker of excellent quality potentiometers. the carbon track on this China one is what i would worry about over the long term... just how resistant it is to wear. it looks to have a more matte finish than the OEM.

i would be more concerned that the carbon resistance has been calibrated across the full scale. this ain't no Bourns, but it sure mimics the look

your part number begins 288... it's under the wiper

BiWerks Design, LLC
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

025 906 301 is the 1.9l AFM
025 906 301 C is the 2.1l AFM
A bit cynical perhaps, or maybe they just misunderstood. The ad says it's for 2.1l.

I suspect that the hand rework on your resistor plate is because the laser trim ran out of range and severed the last resistor completely.
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
i would be more concerned that the carbon resistance has been calibrated across the full scale. this ain't no Bourns, but it sure mimics the look

It has, you can see the laser trimming marks on the individual resistors. Whether it's correct is of course another question.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

What a niche market. Looking forward to hearing how it does. It would be nice to have a condemned meter and bring it back to life with one of these replacement boards.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

dbeierl wrote:
...025 906 301 is the 1.9l AFM
025 906 301 C is the 2.1l AFM
A bit cynical perhaps, or maybe they just misunderstood. The ad says it's for 2.1l...

I think those are the p/n for the entire AFM unit - the number the ad referenced appears to be for just the plate/track/circuit board.

On my 1.9 is is there behind the wiper and is 1 288 310 051.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

a bit more work on the replacement board...

loosening the AFM board screws. these are bonded with both a heat sensitive locking compound and a 'squaring' of the screw threads to prevent loosening. so heat the screw head with a 200watt solder iron with a fine tip and put some valve grinding compound on a good fitting screwdriver and they come right out with strong downward pressure while turning

here's the two boards when out:

prior to and after replacing the board, i set up a test jig supplying 5vdc to pin 3, pin 4 ground, and voltage signal of wiper off pin 2. my OEM board did NOT have drops when swept using an analog meter but i'd previously cleaned the track, wiper contacts, and pivot contact. the below chart shows voltage comparative readings between the OEM and the China board using the intersection points formed by the resistance pads. it wasn't a perfect reference but fairly close.

so far, without a test drive, the China board looks to be a good copy, with a slight voltage boost at pre WOT. the durability of the conductive pad remains unknown.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

If I recall, the screws are Pozidriv not Phillips. Using the right bit will allow a better result. I had to heat the bolts up to release the locking compound. You really do not want to break/strip those bolt heads.
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

Quote:
but i'd previously cleaned the track, wiper contacts, and pivot contact.

The pivot contact apparently gave trouble (as did similar ones in hard drives of the same period) as by at least '84 they added the wire visible in your AFM to bypass that contact completely.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

[quote="dbeierl"]
Quote:
...The pivot contact apparently gave trouble (as did similar ones in hard drives of the same period) as by at least '84 they added the wire visible in your AFM to bypass that contact completely.

I think that change was later than '84 (OP has a 2.1) but it is worthwhile adding the wire to the earlier AFM:

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
If I recall, the screws are Pozidriv not Phillips. Using the right bit will allow a better result. I had to heat the bolts up to release the locking compound. You really do not want to break/strip those bolt heads.

i think you're right. after that photo i put in M3 x 8 - 0.50 pitch 12.9 Allens. the screw length that comes out is 8mm but the hole is not threaded the entire way, more locking i suppose so you have to use either 8mm with washers or 6mm without washers for length. either way, hardened Allen head screws are the way to go when it goes back together.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
colorfull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

DanHoug,
Did you get a chance to test your refurbished AFM?
Very curious about the results...
Cheers!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

no, not yet. i'm waiting for a spring scale to arrive so i can set the arm tension to the exact value of my current AFM. i've been tweaking my spring tension yet again and am really happy with the drivability and mpg so i've very close... waiting on eBay for the spring scale.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
dbeierl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
no, not yet. i'm waiting for a spring scale to arrive so i can set the arm tension to the exact value of my current AFM. i've been tweaking my spring tension yet again and am really happy with the drivability and mpg so i've very close... waiting on eBay for the spring scale.

You might find this arrangement useful...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: