Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AFM replacement wiper board
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

Curious how these boards are holding up?
truepaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

zimflux wrote:
Curious how these boards are holding up?

YES !! ------ Please let us know !! -----------

I bought two of these Chinese boards, I want to install one and see if it's an improvement. However, I thought I'd wait to hear if these boards have some reasonable longevity before I do the AFM teardown and replace an existing board. I'd like to do it once, and not have to swap the old board back in, if these replacement boards don't hold up. So let us know what you've observed!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

I found this excellent read too here:

https://www.k100-forum.com/t11055-bosch-air-flow-meter-restoration-summary
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

Mine is still in and working well. I’d do it. No difference in mpg but I tuned my spring tension to what I wanted (performance vs mpg). Hardest part is getting worse or screw out but once that is done and small Allen’s put in their place, it is quick and easy to swap boards.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truepaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Mine is still in and working well. I’d do it..
Good to know!! Any idea how many miles you've logged on the new board?
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

This thread has blown my mind! I didn't think these carbon tracers were available! I had the belief that this was the weakest point in the Digifant EFI system and would be the first thing to become unreplaceable!!!!!

My question is this.... What makes these boards different and how does each board impact the vanagon differently?

My AFM currently has this version of the board in it:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32974078898.html?spm=a2g0o.seodetail.topbuy.1.3607155d6OVib6

However, there are multiple other boards with different part numbers that have the same form factor:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32974078898.html?s...-recommend

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32974486153.html?s...-recommend

Additionally, I see that DanHoug's new board is a different Part Number than the board in my 87 Van and what was originally in his AFM. This makes me wonder how many AFMs built for other vehicles have been put into other vans. Or more importantly.... does it matter?
truepaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

montanasurfer wrote:
This makes me wonder how many AFMs built for other vehicles have been put into other vans. Or more importantly.... does it matter?
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but here's my 2 cents.
The VW Vanagon Digifant system, according to some web links I followed, is a digital pulsed system that was partly designed by Volkswagen, with a slightly simpler control map than the Bosch Motronic system.

The Bosch Motronic AFM of this era was used in VW, Porsche, BMW, Audi and maybe others (and even a BMW motorcycle). So there's a ton of these units around that appear very similar. I have no idea about the number of different wiper boards made, as I haven't found mention of it online. But one has to assume the output signals are significantly different, as the ECU design, etc. was different.

The only unit that I've seen referred to as a drop in replacement for the Vanagon AFM is the Bosch 0280202106 (88-92 Jetta) AFM. This was from a listing from a fellow selling the Jetta AFM's, so buyer beware. I bought one and it does appear identical. I've not tested it yet.

The China boards are copies of selected Bosche boards, and we're relying on their listing as to what boards/AFMs are equivalent. I'm glad to hear that Vanagon owners have had good results. The ones I purchased look different from Doug's, I assume it was a later production run.

I hope this helps.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AFM replacement wiper board Reply with quote

I'm happy to report that an AFM with a Chinese board just passed California Smog! Ever since I did this repair, my van has been running great! Highly recommend!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: