Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

For those of you who have paid to have your engine dyno tuned, would you recommend it? How much HP were you able to squeeze of your engine?

Cheers,

Paul

PS Here's a pic of my case on the way to my machinist.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard Feynman
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

If you are racing...yes, dyno tune. You don't want to leave free horsepower on the table from timing/ jetting issues.
I just started using a wideband gauge last year on a mild engine in my bus on the recommendation of a friend. HUGE difference in drivability using the gauge to jet the carbs. The more I use it, the more I like it.
We have a dyno class offered at the Community College near me, class instructor is a VW drag racer. Maybe your Community college has one too? This class he teaches is $500 for unlimited pulls on a Mustang Dyno.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

I have the luxury of a buddy with a chassis dyno (which used to be in my shop before I bought it). There are many that are knowledgible on here (and many that think they are) that can get you pretty close for things like jetting. BUT nothing compares to actually having the car on a chassis dyno and you can drive and duplicate various driving conditions and optimize your tune.

Perfect example is my 65 with a 1200 big bore. Where I ended up with my jettiing was way fatter than I would have even attempted, but it works VERY well. Have seen gains of 20HP just in jetting on a 1776 that the owner thought was set up pretty well.

So - spend a couple hundred to dial it in or throw lots of time and parts at it. Obviously there are alternatives like A/F monitors that will do a lot for you as well. But I am a believer in using available tools instead of guessing.

And I totally disagree that using a dyno is for racing applications only. In those cases, most runs are just wide open throttle. Carb synch, timing curve etc are not as critical. I have strapped cars down that had issues in different RPM ranges or certain load conditions that we could sort out easliy on the dyno.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

Is dyno tuning a good value? It's worth every penny.....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

there is no point in investing in nice engine parts and then not paying for a dyno tune. An improper adjusted engine will fail sooner, run hotter etc.

so every change you make from original needs to be dyno'd in my opinion.

your car will run smoother/better and have a better MPG.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Formcar 179
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

Just did a dyno run on an Okrasa 36HP 77 x 69.5 using mostly WW parts. Got a genuine 53 HP at the wheels at about 4,000 RPM. Changes were made to the jets, timing was moved until we got the best out of it. At 200 dollars an hour, this was no bargain experience. Well worth it to get things just right.
1944 VW factory Zollner Dynometer
Gearfinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

What value do you place on knowledge?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

Formcar 179 wrote:
Just did a dyno run on an Okrasa 36HP 77 x 69.5 using mostly WW parts. Got a genuine 53 HP at the wheels at about 4,000 RPM. Changes were made to the jets, timing was moved until we got the best out of it. At 200 dollars an hour, this was no bargain experience. Well worth it to get things just right.

How many hours did it take you to dial it in and was the dyno operator helpful or where you on your own for making tuning adjustments to the VW?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

On the last 2 cars I had on the dyno, 1 a 1776 type1, and 2 a 1958 Lotus Eleven (1460 cc) On the 1776 I found 9 hp and 10 NM torque and much better fuel efficiency with LESS ignition timing than it came with in approx 2½ hours. I could actually have made the fuel curve even better in the lower rpms, but I ran out of time.
With the Lotus we went from 109 hp to 121 hp in just under 4 hours, coffee break included. We also got rid of a dreadfull flat spot it had between 3500 & 4000 rpm.
One of my colleagues was recently working with an Alfa Romeo 2,0 GTA engine that came in due to the engine having misfires in certain rpm ranges. After locating and solving that problem they began playing with the settings and jetting. In an afternoon they went from 192 hp to 205 hp. The owner was happy before, apart from the misfires, but he is thrilled now.

19 out of 20 times it is worth it. The twentieth time you run into someone that has really done his homework and you can find maybe 2 hp. or straighten the torque curve a bit, or something like that. In those cases the dyno time is almost oinly for academical use. We see what the engine can do and the owner gets reasurance that what he did was right, and hopefully we learned something.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Formcar 179 wrote:

How many hours did it take you to dial it in and was the dyno operator helpful or where you on your own for making tuning adjustments to the VW?

Just a comment from my experiences - a dyno operator can't know the details on every car or engine out there. Their main function is to get you the data and you make the corrections. Being prepared with parts, knowledge and help (if needed) makes the most efficient use of the time. Of course if you can find someone who has extensive experience with your particular car, that is a huge bonus. For me, I am usually pretty close and come with a pretty complete jet kit. I already have a good tune up. multiple carbs synched, etc when I arrive.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

Dynos are worth it if you have the ability to make changes. Whether its on a lap top or by changing jets, carbs, timing, distributors, exhausts, etc. Years ago I worked for a race shop that specialized in Porsches and new engine builds were almost always dyno'd whether on a chassis dyno or Stuska. Some dyno sessions were just to get the jetting right and to see that things were working as expected other times we would focus on one particular component like the exhaust and tweak everything else as needed.

I didn't check the numbers but that looks like an early aluminum case. How'd you get it looking so nice? Was it vapor blasted?

Josh
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

Yes, I had the case vapor blasted by a place called https://www.restocycle.com/ in AZ. It cost ~ 275 USD including shipping.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Yes, I had the case vapor blasted by a place called https://www.restocycle.com/ in AZ. It cost ~ 275 USD including shipping.

Cheers,

Paul

Cool thanks for the link. I'm in Florida. Last time I looked I was unable to find anyone in state that did vapor blasting. I have a 47 or 49?? AL case that needs to be cleaned up. Its in good shape but it was stored clean for many years, not oily, so it oxidized. Vapor blasting seems like the best option, or at at least the best looking option. I've also seen AL parts "tumbled" with ceramic media but I think the vapor blasting looks better.

Josh
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

Before I shipped off my case I gave it a good scrubbing and lightly wet sanded the exterior. The shop plugs all the oil passages prior to blasting, but I'm going to assume that there's all sorts of crap in there.

Who does ceramic tumbling? The only place I've heard that does that is Competition Engineering in Lake Isabella, CA. I've also heard that there have been management changes, and their latest work hasn't been up to their old standards.

Cheers,

Paul Vickerman

Richard Feynman
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Dyno Tuning a Good Value? Reply with quote

I don't recall who did but it was probably Ollie's. It's on the very bottom of their price list. http://www.olliesmachine.com/uploads/ollies_price_list_March_2019.pdf
(321) 449-4665

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: